• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

mark_in_2k

mark_in_2k

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
I think I finally found a solution to my dropped ethernet.

I used the old 4.0 patch thread from Stevo and one of the replies mentioned the below settings:

Posted Image

So far, things are working great. I've tried a few HD movie trailers from Apple that I couldn't watch last night due to my ethernet dropping when downloading the large files.

Hopefully things stay like this! I'll post back if it starts dropping the connection again.

DaFrigN

DaFrigN

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
I have WiFi network drop problem similar to what others are saying for ethernet, and I think it may be related! I have a Belkin 54G WiFi PCI card in my ASRock that has always worked fine in 10.2 and up on my G4 towers (Broadcom 4306 chipset, shows as Airport card). Now it's in my Hackintosh and I get network drops, usually (but not always) when I'm moving large files. Also, it shows as 3rd party adapter in System Profiler instead of Airport (difference in intel version of driver?). It may be related to Ethernet because when this card is in my 'real' Macs it disables the built-in Ethernet (I never understood why though, they should both be usable simultaneously). I will try adjusting the ethernet settings and see if that helps. Also, I plan to test the VIA ethernet port soon.
-=D=-

thiathias

thiathias

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
I tried your settings, I will report if it drops

thiathias

thiathias

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
it dropped 5 times approximatively, this doesn't work for me

mark_in_2k

mark_in_2k

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
It also dropped out for me too. Using the settings I posted above did give me the longest up-time though out of all the settings I've tried before. It finally gave up when I was downloading through bitorrent.

I'm going to try the conf file from the 4.0 patch thread to see if that makes a difference.

thiathias

thiathias

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
I tried that sysctl.conf but it make my ethernet not work at all , i had to reinstall because i couldn't delete it, maybe because i'm newb^

DaFrigN

DaFrigN

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
Hey stevo

DaFrigN - You might want to look into Superhai's USBGenPC. I don't know if it would fix it, but it sounds like it is along the lines of what Superhai is working on. Since you have an SATA2 board, can you give me some more info? The kext that is in this patch contains modifications for your board, and I need some feedback on it. Do you have UDMA on your ATA? (This can be found in IORegistryExplorer). Are you working properly and stable on SATA? Any other info would be great!

Can you give me a link to Superhai's USBGenPC? I've googled around but only come up with your post about it. Is it the same as PCGenUSBFix on some installers? My USB is working, it's just the Mass Storage Driver that has this one annoying flaw. Fortunately it reboots fast enough that I can live with it.

Yes, I would be happy to give more info / feedback. I just need to get a copy of Leo Dev Tools so I can have IORegistryExplorer. I have Tiger's IORegExpl here at work, but It may not run on Leo without Dev stuff, as some of the other Dev Tools won't function without proper Dev install.

I'm using 2 PATA HDDs right now, but I will be using SATA very soon, I have a PATA to SATA Adapter on the way, and I plan to get a big fat SATA drive real soon.

FYI to all: I was finally able to get a working install of 10.4.11 using the archival XxX rev2 disc and selected the right patches (there are so many!!!) 10.4.11 functions much better then 10.5.2 for my hardware. I fixed the WiFi as per the Wiki, and now no drop outs with my Belkin/Broadcom 4320 PCI card!!! Just have some sleep issues in 10.4... probably just need to pick a different kernel.

Sorry It took so long to respond... RL & getting CoD2 and Prey installed (had to test these extensively!)... you know B)

10.4,11, 10.5.2, XPproSP2.... Tri-booting Rocks!

Peace
-=D=-

thiathias

thiathias

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
for your usb problem there is a thread here about an app called "lingon" which launch script when you want to, so you make a script to load the kext you want to load and you tell lingon to lauch them at startup

DaFrigN

DaFrigN

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

for your usb problem there is a thread here about an app called "lingon" which launch script when you want to, so you make a script to load the kext you want to load and you tell lingon to lauch them at startup

lingon right that can control/configure the launchd process. I've used it to auto relaunch my BT client when it crashes. Can you give me a link to the relevant topic on this board?

Thanks,
=-D=-

DaFrigN

DaFrigN

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

lingon right that can control/configure the launchd process. I've used it to auto relaunch my BT client when it crashes. Can you give me a link to the relevant topic on this board?

Thanks,
=-D=-

Never mind I found it:
sudo kextload -b com.apple.iokit.IOUSBMassStorageClass
and make applescript to run this at boot ....

Also, colud be mismatched kernel/system.kext
usb fix 1.3.mpkg from USB Problems thread would solve that.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
=-D=-

thiathias

thiathias

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
my usb problem is solved, except that when I plug my iPod i have to restart to use it but it doesn't matter.
the only big problem is my ethernet drop, it drops more often when i watch videos on youtube, and this makes me crazy

this is the error messages in my console :
5/24/08 7:00:11 PM kernel exceed tx queue limit! tx_cur is 54182, dirty_tx is 54058, queue len is 124
5/24/08 8:24:01 PM kernel exceed tx queue limit! tx_cur is 232141, dirty_tx is 232017, queue len is 124
5/24/08 8:54:10 PM kernel exceed tx queue limit! tx_cur is 66494, dirty_tx is 66370, queue len is 124
5/25/08 12:49:38 AM kernel exceed tx queue limit! tx_cur is 790749, dirty_tx is 790625, queue len is 124
5/25/08 1:02:19 AM kernel exceed tx queue limit! tx_cur is 26072, dirty_tx is 25948, queue len is 124
5/25/08 3:04:05 AM kernel exceed tx queue limit! tx_cur is 344111, dirty_tx is 343987, queue len is 124
5/25/08 12:58:44 PM kernel exceed tx queue limit! tx_cur is 83765, dirty_tx is 83641, queue len is 124

I don't know what does it mean...

mark_in_2k

mark_in_2k

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
Now that 10.5.3 is available to download, lets keep our fingers crossed that it solves the networking issue.

thiathias

thiathias

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
hmmm i don't want to break my install with a 10.5.3 upgrade, i will wait until an easy way to upgrade comes out, and if someone has upgraded yet, plz tell me if it solves the ethernet drop issue

thiathias

thiathias

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
has someone upgraded with the kalyway combo update?
is it safe on asrock 4core dual vsta?

Greyson

Greyson

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
the kalyway 10.5.3 combo update has destroyed my installation. everytime i try to start, it doesn't work.
(asrock 4core dual vsta, nvidia geforce 7600gt agp)

thiathias

thiathias

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
which kernel did you choose?
did you try to fix the graphics? (i think you have to type -v -x and reinstall NVInject)

heng2006

heng2006

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
Deal friends,

I used this patch with 4Dual-VSTA. Only sound does not worked (not see audio chip).
Please help me.
My spec: Mainboard - 4Dual-VSTA
PCI express: Asus ATI 3650 Silent (256 MB) patch with netkas
I have QE/CI. Only iMovie does not work.

heng2006

mark_in_2k

mark_in_2k

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
Well, I finally got my internet working without drop-outs, but I had to get a USB to ethernet adapter, costing me about $30. Have a look here for compatible adapters, plus the relevant kexts to go with them.

Everything seems to be working now, and I've updated to the latest 10.5.3 using the update found at the Bay.

Greyson

Greyson

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
The 10.5.3 Combo Update by Mysticus works perfect. My system starts fast and there are no more problems with my GeForce 7600 GT (there is a new NVInject inside the package). :D

thiathias

thiathias

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
thanks for your reports guys
I know what I have to do now :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy