Would a Raptor Disk make a difference?

4 posts in this topic

1st i started testing osx releases at external usb disks, it was very slow

then i moved to an old 80GB ide disk and ofcourse i saw big diference in the speed

1 week ago i copied my partition of the IDe disk to a Sata2 disk and it was even faster

i care about speed cause i need to edit videos etc with final cut,motion ..

so if i buy a raptor at 10000rpm i will see huge difference compare to sata2 or just a little?

plz reply asap and only if you have osx in a raptor (and you used to have it in sata)

a 10k raptor, you should see about equal difference to the move from the old 80GB IDE drive to the SATA drive. Look at some reviews of the 10k raptor drive.

The newest one which is called velociraptor or something is a 2.5" drive with a heatsink to 3.5" and the reviews seem to indicate it's very fast. They are a good

deal because it's a lot cheaper than buying a controller then harddrives that are SCSI/SAS which are again more expensive. However the great thing about SCSI/SAS

is the offload engine from the controller card which is awesome compared to all these el cheapo SATA controllers.

if you really want to go fast look at SCSI U160/U320 the first can be had for real cheap on ebay with a controller card. Or if you want the best

SAS is probably the way to go, but is not faster than U320 scsi but is easier to work with (IE cables are dirt cheap since they are SATA. and they aren't massive

like Ultra 320/160 cables.) However SAS even on ebay is alot more expensive.

like lordmozilla said, you should wait until the release of the new Velociraptors ;), the're aprox. 35% faster than the old Raptors

But if you want to know if the raptor give me a speed increase in comparision with any 7200rpm HD, YES :)

I have two raptors in a RAID 0. They are smoking fast. In my windows build, windows shows the loading screen, the bars start to scroll, and before they can get to the other side, I'm already at the logon screen. And with the release of the Velociraptors, it might cushion the price of the raptors to make them the best "bang for the buck."

And with os x being so much faster, I expect my new mac build with these raptors to be at ludicrous speed.