ATI HD 4550, Full QE/CI, On VGA, No major hacking required

shakaru

6 posts in this topic

If you are reading this, you probably bought a 4550 thinking you would save some bucks and have your self an kickass mac ready in no time only to find some rather painful problems regarding kext, framebuffer and so on. So Im going to tell you how I have my system up and running, with nothing more than iAtkos S3 V2 and an HDMI cable.

Now I do not want to take any responsibility for any damage caused by this. I have reformated and installed multiple times to verify that this is repeatable as well as placing the card into other motherboard and found it will not work when I skip this method and will work when I follow it.

Step one. Have your VGA monitor plugged into the port and also place a HDMI cable into the HDMI slot. The HDMI cable does not need to be connected to anything for this to work, but does need to be plugged in at all times for you to have your VGA port continue to work. Also I would like to state that the HDMI port does not work for video out, but I havent tried to mess with it so it is possible that it could.

Step two. Install iAtkos S3 V2. I have not confirmed this works with any other distro, but I dont see why it work.

Step three. When selecting your hardware, I did not select the ATI framebuffer or any other patches besides the EVO enabler. You can still use your network and other patches without any issue as far as I can tell.

Step four. Once the install is done, you will need to keep the HDMI cable pluged in at all times. If you unplug it, you can plug it back in and the VGA port will come back online. Also, you may have some resolution issues when watching the 'welcome to mac' video, but you can always change them in the preferences options. No need for pesky switches.

Now some more things to note just to be diligent.

[] I have only updated my system to 10.6.4, and everything works fine. I dont see why it wont work if you go past this.

[] The "Graphics Enabler" option in the patches is Hit/Miss. Sometimes it will work with it, sometimes it wont. I just leave it off for continued sucess.

[] The card reads as a HD4890, but does read correctly for speed and memory (1gb in my case)

IF you have any questions, feel free to ask me here in the topic so our work can be documented. I will assist in any way possible.

If you are reading this, you probably bought a 4550 thinking you would save some bucks and have your self an kickass mac ready in no time only to find some rather painful problems regarding kext, framebuffer and so on. So Im going to tell you how I have my system up and running, with nothing more than iAtkos S3 V2 and an HDMI cable.

Now I do not want to take any responsibility for any damage caused by this. I have reformated and installed multiple times to verify that this is repeatable as well as placing the card into other motherboard and found it will not work when I skip this method and will work when I follow it.

Step one. Have your VGA monitor plugged into the port and also place a HDMI cable into the HDMI slot. The HDMI cable does not need to be connected to anything for this to work, but does need to be plugged in at all times for you to have your VGA port continue to work. Also I would like to state that the HDMI port does not work for video out, but I havent tried to mess with it so it is possible that it could.

Step two. Install iAtkos S3 V2. I have not confirmed this works with any other distro, but I dont see why it work.

Step three. When selecting your hardware, I did not select the ATI framebuffer or any other patches besides the EVO enabler. You can still use your network and other patches without any issue as far as I can tell.

Step four. Once the install is done, you will need to keep the HDMI cable pluged in at all times. If you unplug it, you can plug it back in and the VGA port will come back online. Also, you may have some resolution issues when watching the 'welcome to mac' video, but you can always change them in the preferences options. No need for pesky switches.

Now some more things to note just to be diligent.

[] I have only updated my system to 10.6.4, and everything works fine. I dont see why it wont work if you go past this.

[] The "Graphics Enabler" option in the patches is Hit/Miss. Sometimes it will work with it, sometimes it wont. I just leave it off for continued sucess.

[] The card reads as a HD4890, but does read correctly for speed and memory (1gb in my case)

IF you have any questions, feel free to ask me here in the topic so our work can be documented. I will assist in any way possible.

So basically Just do EvoEnabler?

Because a previous person Private Message'd me saying he added his DEV ID's into ATIRadeonX2000

I didnt bother adding the ids to the kext this time. In fact I discovered this all by accident.

You do need the EVO enabler, and an HDMI cable attached to the card and you have full support on VGA.

If you have problems, let me know so I can collect more information and help.