ATi Radeon HD4870X2 on Snow Leopard 10.6.2

hadayet

11 posts in this topic

First only few ATI brands works good on OSX (Saphirre is a good example), then CrossFire is not supported by Mac so its kinda useless to get 2 powerfull cards in a Mac.

I will personally try to put 2 graphic cards in my future project (will receive the parts monday ) and i will let you know how its going but i choosed 2 x Nvidia cards :

- GT250 1GB Ram from XFX for primary dual display.

- GT210 512MB Ram from XFX for third display.

Sorry for such a stupid question. -

It is possible to make ATi Radeon HD4870 x2 work on Snow Leopard 10.6.2?

I found some manuals how to make it working on Leopard, but i am not sure if it will work on Snow Leopard

The card works fine on 10.6.2, out of the box.. no mods needed. Unfortuantely, the QI drivers cause a 10.6.2 panic.. you have to run 10.6.1 to do anything other than basically look at your desktop.

Mine is running great under 10.6.1

The card works fine on 10.6.2, out of the box.. no mods needed. Unfortuantely, the QI drivers cause a 10.6.2 panic.. you have to run 10.6.1 to do anything other than basically look at your desktop.

Mine is running great under 10.6.1

:):D:(

I currently have 2x ATI 4870 Asus cards in my system, but currently only 1 of the 2 work with QI. The second card is disabled on bootup. So it is possible to have the two cards in your machine and if you have it set to duel boot, you will get Crossfire in Windows.

But from what l have tried has not worked to get them both visable in Mac OS X 10.6.2

Im happy enough to be able to play WoW and other games in Mac OS X with one card, and play Operation Flashpoint - Dragon Rising, Crysis and others in Windows.

I currently have 2x ATI 4870 Asus cards in my system, but currently only 1 of the 2 work with QI. The second card is disabled on bootup. So it is possible to have the two cards in your machine and if you have it set to duel boot, you will get Crossfire in Windows.

But from what l have tried has not worked to get them both visable in Mac OS X 10.6.2

Im happy enough to be able to play WoW and other games in Mac OS X with one card, and play Operation Flashpoint - Dragon Rising, Crysis and others in Windows.

Can you tell me how I can get the second card disabled on boot up? I am trying to have my 4850x2 works that way. I don't care about the second card in my hackintosh, but its presence causes problem with a hiccup during initial load up and then quicktime doesn't work (which affects iMovies.)

I really want Xfire in Windows 7 and it is why I pick the EP45-UD3P MB for the hackintosh :)

Thanks!

Hello Jamis2001,

My system is running Chameleon RC3 + PC EFI 10.5, I am using Graphics Enabler="Y" in the Boot.plist, and also have Evoenabler.kext and LegacyATI4800Controller.kext . I think the reason it is disabled on boot up is because of the PCI-e Slot naming convention the Gigabyte board l currently have is not detected correctly on boot up, thus turning off the secondary card and ignoring its existence all together. My primary PCI-e Slot is shown in System information under ioreg as PCI0@0, And my secondary is detected as PEX0@1C.

This might or might not be useful information to you, but like yourself its a learning curve and unfortunately it can take a while with experimentation and research to even get as far as l have. Even now l still look into possible DSDT fixes for my PCI-e Slot detection, and l still haven't tried Chameleon RC4 yet.

Hello Jamis2001,

My system is running Chameleon RC3 + PC EFI 10.5, I am using Graphics Enabler="Y" in the Boot.plist, and also have Evoenabler.kext and LegacyATI4800Controller.kext . I think the reason it is disabled on boot up is because of the PCI-e Slot naming convention the Gigabyte board l currently have is not detected correctly on boot up, thus turning off the secondary card and ignoring its existence all together. My primary PCI-e Slot is shown in System information under ioreg as PCI0@0, And my secondary is detected as PEX0@1C.

This might or might not be useful information to you, but like yourself its a learning curve and unfortunately it can take a while with experimentation and research to even get as far as l have. Even now l still look into possible DSDT fixes for my PCI-e Slot detection, and l still haven't tried Chameleon RC4 yet.

Thanks. I am using Chameleon RC4 and PC EFI 10.6. It is probably detecting all the slots correctly. Sigh. I will keep looking.

Sorry for such a stupid question. -

It is possible to make ATi Radeon HD4870 x2 work on Snow Leopard 10.6.2?

I found some manuals how to make it working on Leopard, but i am not sure if it will work on Snow Leopard

ATI 4870x2 Works on Snow Leopard !!!! ;)

1. Install ATY_init.kext on /S/L/E from KEXTS.COM

2. Install the Netkas 10.6.2 Exotic Package from NETKAS.ORG

3. Boot with arch=i386 for 32bit

Now it Works for me ^^

Snow Leopard 10.6.2 !!

cu