Atom330 "Should have 2 cores, but only found1 for die 0"

LadyBhaal

31 posts in this topic

Hello.

I'm installing retail Snow Leopard onto my Dospara Prime Note Cresion NA laptop (points if you've ever heard of it before) It's an Atom330(64 bit, 2 cores with hyperthreading) with an ION chipset, rtl8111/8168B LAN, and Atheros AR9285 WiFi/BlueTooth

I've installed Chameleon 2.0-RC3 into a small partition on the GPT hard drive and that's working fine, loading the kernel from an SD card. All 4 cores are recognised by the kernel and enumerated by AppleACPICPU.

I get the following soon after:

MAC Framework successfully initialized

using 10485 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff80002bfafe): "Should have 2 Cores, but only found1 for Die0"@/SourceCache/xnu-1456.1.25/osfmk/i386/cpu_threads.c:1108

<frame dump>

Kernel Extensions in backtrace (with dependencies):

com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform(1.3)@<blah>

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily(1.3.0)@<blah>

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.6)@<blah>

I have the following kexts installed via Chameleon:

AHCIPortInjector

Disabler

fakesmc

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector

NullCPUPowerManagement

NVEnabler

OpenHaltRestart

PlatformUUID

RealtekR1000SL

VoodooHDA

How do I get around this?

Thanks

Turn off HTT in the BIOS, if you cannot, dump a dsdt in Linux, then edit it to remove all CPU alias' & remove last 2 CPU instances, then place in /Extra - that *should* work [it has before with a tricky ION/330].

BTW: would remove:

AHCIPortInjector

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector

& AFAIK VoodooHDA is launched from /S/L/E after deleting AppleHDA

. . just to get the thing to boot: try:

arch=i386 -f -v cpus=1

The BIOS is very limited and won't allow me to turn off HTT (and has spelling mistakes)

I modified the DSDT file and used the flags you suggested

I now have a light grey screen with an apple logo in the middle, a 'loading' icon spinning at the bottom and just above the apple logo is a small 'no' symbol (circle with a slash). It's been that way for about 45 minutes now so I'm assuming it's stuck.

The BIOS is very limited and won't allow me to turn off HTT (and has spelling mistakes)

I modified the DSDT file and used the flags you suggested

I now have a light grey screen with an apple logo in the middle, a 'loading' icon spinning at the bottom and just above the apple logo is a small 'no' symbol (circle with a slash). It's been that way for about 45 minutes now so I'm assuming it's stuck.

. . label, zip up, then attach your unmodded & modded dsdt here, please

What do you have on this SD card? - booter only, or the kernel &/or an OSX install?

The SD card has the full retail disc on it. I also have the retail disc in the cd drive.

The files you requested are attached.

Before I have a look at these - to get things absolutely clear - you have Chamelon on your HDD, & you have copied the install DVD to a SD - yes?

I see you said:

I've installed Chameleon 2.0-RC3 into a small partition on the GPT hard drive and that's working fine, loading the kernel from an SD card
- do you mean you have put Chameleon on the EFI partition?

If you are installing onto your HDD from the SD (from which you intend to boot), you need to have everything on your SD - Chameleon, the copied-over install DVD, & an /Extra folder with all the required stuff including a working dsdt.

To start with, you *only* need fakesmc & nullintelcpupowermanagement & nvenabler a kext for your NIC

. . installing SL is quite tricky & you appear to have made things complex.

[Edit] - I see "Error 1 - Operation not permitted" when unarchiving your dsdts - this often means you have for some reason used a p/w on these archives. Please re-upload working archives to save wasting time.

Before I have a look at these - to get things absolutely clear - you have Chamelon on your HDD, & you have copied the install DVD to a SD - yes?

I see you said:

- do you mean you have put Chameleon on the EFI partition?

If you are installing onto your HDD from the SD (from which you intend to boot), you need to have everything on your SD - Chameleon, the copied-over install DVD, & an /Extra folder with all the required stuff including a working dsdt.

To start with, you *only* need fakesmc & nullintelcpupowermanagement & nvenabler a kext for your NIC

. . installing SL is quite tricky & you appear to have made things complex.

I don't have a handy mac so I can't do things the easy way :D

I have chameleon on a partition on my HDD. The partition is named EFI

I have copied the entire install DVD to my SD card.

I boot chameleon from the HDD and tell it to load a kernel from the SD card, pointing rdisk to the DVD (or that's what I assume I'm doing) I'm following a guide from the forums, which I can't find now so I've attached the zipped pdf of the instructions.

If necessary I can try hackintoshing my desktop, it's pretty sane by most standards so should take an install pretty well and I have a spare hard drive to do it to.

OSX_install_from_a_windows_PC.zip

If your Desktop uses a straightforward Intel-chipset mobo with a C2D & some supported vid-accelerator, & if you have an AHCI option in the BIOS for SATA, & if you have a spare SATA HDD - then, yes, that would make things much easier.

What model mobo is it? - nearly everything needs a modded dsdt for SL.

Welcome to my desktop, running 10.5.8 I'll detach one of the HDD's (I don't have a spare cable) and gut the hard drive from the laptop and try a guide.

Any hints would be appreciated

. . oh, right - well done :)

A fairly typical 'flat install' 10.5.x guide - in this case to an Atom330/ION system - is here, together with some useful support files. Kexts obv no use - I get my SL kexts from Stellarola's blog here

Suggest you d/l the 'workflows' archive & install it - this'll give you switchable hide/unhide system files.

Simple way from a 10.5.x install is to mount a SL install DVD image [unhide], navigate to osinstall.mpkg, install the basic system only [you cannot install anything more than this], then stick in Cham RC3 658 or PC-EFI 10.5 [i use the latter] together with the few kexts you need to get going [including, surely, PS/2 kexts - this is a laptop after all] & a working dsdt.

. . then you should be good to go

You will get disturbing install error messages [in 10.5.x installing 10.6.x] - ignore them. You will need to run bsd.pkg again when in SL, together with any optional stuff you want from the install DVD.

After many hoops *giggles* I got chameleon and snowleopard on the same disk, and booting :) wai!

I used the command line diskutil utility to partition the hard drive, and installed snow leopard from the .mpkg

I installed Chameleon 2.0-RC3 into the EFI partition

I put the HDD back into my laptop and Chameleon booted and launched Snow Leopard from the hard drive :)

It's currently sitting there, doing nothing, with the boot log still on the screen. I know it's thinking because when I put in a CD an error message came up.

NullCPUPowerManagement picked up all 4 processors, and the last set of lines are:

Got boot device = <blah>

BSD Root: disk0s3, major 14, minor 3

Kernel is LP64

com.apple.launchd 1 com.apple.launchd 1 *** launchd[1] has started up. ***

com.apple.launchd 1 com.apple.launchd 1 *** Verbose boot, will log to /dev/console. ***

Bug: launchctl.c:35557 (23930):17: ioctl(s6, SIOCAIFADDR_IN6, &ifra6) != -1

Running fsck on the boot volume...

Executing fsck_hfs (version diskdev_cmds-491~1).

hfs: created HFBT on Snow Leopard (my Snow Leopard install partition)

launchctl: Please convert the following to launchd: /etc/mach_init.d/dashboardadvisoryd.plist

Waiting for DSMOS...

systemShutdown false

hfs_erase_unused_nodes: updating volume EFI.

hfs_erase_unused_nodes: done updating volume EFI.

NVDANV50HAL loaded and registered. (that took a long time)

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

and when I inserted the CD I got the following additional message:

disk1: ioctl(_IOWF,'d',101,24) is unsupported

Now to work out how to get my desktop booting back into Win7 *giggles*

Edit: silly lack of tab :D

Shoarthing, my original DSDT is in a previous post, please grab it from there.

SATA operation is in 'Enhanced' of ['Enhanced', 'Compatible'] modes. The bios page confirms this as if I select 'Compatible' IDE options appear which do not appear under 'Enhanced' That's the only option in this very limited BIOS.

UnaClocker, I know this is a 64 bit CPU, I've previously successfully run Ubuntu 64 bit, Fedora 64 bit and Win7 RC 64 bit on it.

I had to unplug the Leopard HDD from my desktop and reinstall Win7 though :) *pouts* Good to know I'm getting close :)

Shoarthing, my original DSDT is in a previous post, please grab it from there.
see my reply to said post

. . . SATA operation is in 'Enhanced' of ['Enhanced', 'Compatible'] modes. The bios page confirms this as if I select 'Compatible' IDE options appear which do not appear under 'Enhanced' That's the only option in this very limited BIOS.
. . when this laptop is in Win7 under either of the above BOS settings; does Device Manager show your HDD/optical drive as having an AHCI driver/being in AHCI mode? - as I said above, AHCI mode is mandatory for SL.

The BIOS says the HDD and DVD are in AHCI mode. I'll install Win7 and let you know when that's in as I don't remember.

I did not use a password on those archives, but I did use a non-standard archiver. Under MacOS you can unzip them with the 7za application (I think it's called that, it's what I did under Leopard) I am sorry for any confusion. I have regenerated the original and attached them with a more standard archiver.

dsdt.original.aml.zip

dsdt.modified.aml.zip

Your modded dsdt looks OK to get you running: ATA entries are identikit AMI BIOS/ION & should be OK.

If you're *sure* AHCI-mode is explicitly enabled, then I'd focus on video.

Make sure your nvenabler is the 64-bit build; it *should* work from /E/E - if you get the same sort of errors as at present then delete nvenabler; then edit your com.apple.Boot.plist [if you're using Chameleon RC3 b658 or PC-EFI 104/10.5] to include:

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>VBIOS</key>
<string>Yes</string>

Turn off HTT in the BIOS, if you cannot, dump a dsdt in Linux, then edit it to remove all CPU alias' & remove last 2 CPU instances, then place in /Extra - that *should* work [it has before with a tricky ION/330].

yes, that was exactly way to fix Atom330 "Should have 2 cores, but only found1 for die 0" message, while keeping both cores working fine (and simultaneously).

thank you for guidance!

yes, that was exactly way to fix Atom330 "Should have 2 cores, but only found1 for die 0" message, while keeping both cores working fine (and simultaneously).

thank you for guidance!

. . glad it helped you - happily, OP put a clear title on this thread, so your experience may help others in the future.

I installed Win7 and device manager shows the drives in the same style as my desktop does. I know my desktop is AHCI as the ACHI BIOS starts up and enumerates all the drives. I think my laptop does the same but it's too fast to be sure.

Win7 of course overwrote the boot loader and damaged the partition table. I installed Chameleon's boot0 in the initial boot sector and am now getting "Boot0: Error" *sigh* Parted reports that the partition table is damaged, it's a GPT table but does not have a valid fake msdos partition :) I'm beginning to loathe Windows and how it assumes it's the only OS in existence :)

So: I now have to rescue my partition table; and fix my boot loader; and then get windows booting from chameleon. What fun

Edit: Aha! Partition table fixed, and Boot0: Error gone! *giggles* SL is booting with your suggested changes, and....

same thing :( NVDANV50HAL loads, (a new entry, NTFS driver loads as Win7 is now on there) and we wait for AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, which times out

Edit2: BIOS proof that I'm loading in AHCI mode 4089116456_e5a4e52dd6_o.jpg

. . . . SL is booting with your suggested changes, and....

same thing :( NVDANV50HAL loads, (a new entry, NTFS driver loads as Win7 is now on there) and we wait for AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, which times out

Edit2: BIOS proof that I'm loading in AHCI mode 4089116456_e5a4e52dd6_o.jpg

. . . do you have both an /Extra/Extensions folder & an 'Extensions.mkext' in /Extra? - if so, bin the 'Extensions.mkext'

Please paste a screenshot of your /Extra folder-structure & its files, please - sounds from here like either nullcpupowermanagment.kext isn't loading, or that it isn't a SL 64-bit kext.

Suggest you attach a USB keyboard/mouse & try booting with a bare minimum of kexts in /E/E - (say) fakesmc & nullcpupowermanagement only. Remove any weirdo devices & disable anything but the basics in the BIOS.

If your BIOS has any CPU settings, the one to enable is the Execute Disable function - disable anything else. Disable Legacy USB if you can.

Image of my Extra/Extensions folder

4089242582_1f6220dccc_o.jpg

Both kexts were freshly installed. NullCPUPowerManagement I got from the blog you posted earlier in this thread. Disabler I got from the Chameleon install files, and used the 10.6 version.

The boot still ends up like this:

4088489773_2f88ae3017_o.jpg

But then I took out VoodooHDA and put in FakeSMC, and, It's ALIVE!!!!!!!!

Gotta get sound, ethernet, keyboard, touchpad, wireless and numerous other things working yet

Sound: ALC988 (I think)

Ethernet: Realtek RTL8111/8168B

Wireless: Atheros AR9285 (not what the sticker on the bottom says *giggles* )

You know the graphics already, the rest I'm not sure of.

Atheros Wireless doesn't work w/ K64 - it is 32bit only ATM until 10.6.2. Since there's no real point running the Atom330 in 64bit [slight performance advantage], edit your com.apple.Boot.plist to have the kernel flags:

-v arch=i386

. . . the Atheros will then give you native Airport a/b/g/n

Sound & so on you'll have to search for & you'll need to know the exact codec - I'd avoid VoodooHDA if at all possible - I have not been able to get it to work properly on any MCP7x mobo.

Ethernet *should* be well-documented here.

Is your video at full native resolution? . . is the bar across the top opaque?

Welcome to Snow Leopard on my little laptop :) wai! Thank you so much for your help. I've got the ethernet working fine, and the WAN, and the Wireless shows up under System Profiler but not up in the task bar thingy up top.

I'm in full screen resolution and I can see stars and coloration behind the task bar thingy so that's looking good :D

Now to get the keyboard/trackpad working and I can sneep, doing the rest at work tomorrow :D i suspect I'll have to boot into Linux and search through the boot messages to find out how those 2 are connected. Then, once I get those 2 working I'll do an image overnight so if updating screws things up it's an easy restore, and then update away :D *giggles*

Pity about 64 bit, I was hoping to have that for coding purposes. I'll have to wait till 64 bit drivers are released though. Obviously 64 bit kexts work fine in a 32 bit setting as I didn't change my 2 kexts in E/E.

Any hints you want to provide at this point?

Again, thank you so very much for all your help :)