Asus M3A79-T (0803) + Phenom II X4 940 + iDeneb 1.4 (10.5.6)

deeksmooth

23 posts in this topic

Problem: Still waiting for root device. - FIXED

Problem: No boot... more info below.

Release: iDeneb 1.4 (10.5.6)

Rig Info:

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 940 Processor @ ~3.4GHz

Motherboard: ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe AM2+ 790FX (BIOS: 0803)

Memory: 8GB DDR2-1066 G.Skill

Hard Drive: Seagate Baracuda 7500RPM 320GB (SATA)

Optical Drive: Lite-On DVD +/- R with LightScribe (IDE) **NOW LG SATA (to fix "Still waiting for root device...")

Video Card: ATI 4870 HIS IceQ+ Turbo 1GB

Sound Card: SB X-Fi Fatal1ty Audio [7000]

Monitor: Dell 24" 1080 (S2409W)

Just downloaded the iDeneb 1.4 release - burned the DVD and booted to the gray apple logo with a circle-slash over it. Reboot, hit F8, and used -v... I got the infamous 'Still waiting for root device...'

Changing the storage configuration option didn't help anything, those options are;

- IDE

- RAID

- AHCI

In the OSX86project Wiki ASUS section (http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.5.6#Asus), it shows BIOS version 0602... I just flashed from 0602 to 0804 because I was (and still am) experiencing an issue where it sometimes won't post and requires a hard boot, but then loads and works fine. I'm pretty sure a later BIOS release wouldn't cause any issues, maybe I can flash back to the old 0602 as I saved it before flashing to see if that helps. If anyone has any thorough input or ideas, I'd be very appreciative. :)

Bump - I put in information regarding my optical drive and the fact that its IDE.

I'm getting the impression that maybe trying a SATA optical drive might help - I will try that tonight after the gym and update the thread then.

Real-Time Update: Installed a SATA optical drive and set storage mode in BIOS to AHCI - had one snag with this, I plugged the SATA optical drive into SATA port 6... when the BIOS is in AHCI mode, it only sees SATA ports 1, 2, 3, 4.

Anyways - it now sees the root device and I am currently booting off of the DVD.

OK - rebooted after installation and got this...

nonsysdisk.jpg

Alright got past that with a little help from - http://www.puredarwin.org/developers/booti...Troubleshooting ...

Solution: You need to set the partition bootable ("boot flag", "set partition active"), e.g., using fdisk:

sh-3.2# fdisk -e /dev/rdisk1
Enter 'help' for information  
fdisk: 1> f 1
Partition 1 marked active.
fdisk:*1> w
Device could not be accessed exclusively.
A reboot will be needed for changes to take effect. OK? [n] y
Writing MBR at offset 0.
fdisk: 1> q
sh-3.2#

** I booted off of the iDeneb 1.4 DVD and launched Terminal, then used 'fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0' for the first line.

Now, when I boot I get just the white screen with the grey Apple... when I boot with -v, it just sits at a black blank screen, no text or anything... So I guess I'm stuck as no immediate searches are returning any results.

I have tried the following startup options;

-v

-f

-x

-v -f -x (this flashes a BUNCH of stuff on the screen, then sits at the black screen)

Hmm - anyone have any ideas? I'm trying to be as thorough with my information as possible. I'm wondering if its my Phenom II X4 940 processor - then again would I have been able to boot from the DVD if that was the issue?

It's not the processor... I have a similar system, but mine at least works in safe mode. Without -v booting ends at the green screen before the login window should appear. I had to use -v for the installation with iPC as well. The system doesn't crash, but I can't log in.

Yeah, I can't even get that far... I'm going to try a few things tonight;

- use only 2GB RAM (physical)

- reinstall iDeneb 1.4 with custom options, I just left everything default on the first attempt.

- currently downloading the distro you used to see if i have more luck with that.

No probs with 8GB here, I am using the 9.5.0 Voodoo kernel. I also selected the SB chipset drivers, but I'm not sure if they were even used, the driver for my network adapter and that was it.

I added a few packages after installation, but the 3 packages enabled me to boot in safe mode after installation.

I didn't even use AHCI for installation, but I enabled it afterwards in hope that it would fix my boot issues, but it didn't.

Good luck :)

Well I tried to rollback my BIOS to 0602, since the OSX86Wiki said that's what worked... But unfortunately I can't, not even after discussing with ASUS tech support via live chat. I was told I'd have to order a replacement BIOS chip with 0602 on it. I called the number provided and left a message with my request and I'm waiting for a call back from them now.

Bump for more informaiton.

There must have been something I had configured in the BIOS for overclocking that the Kernel wasn't liking... after I set everything to default, I am now booted to iDeneb 1.4 (10.5.6). Time to start OC'ing everything individually until it pukes on me again.

Well I found out that OSX didn't like my ref clock at 17x - so until there is a fix, I can't OC to 3.4ghz on my processor. Otherwise my memory timings are good.

Outsanding Issues:

- Mouse Lags when moving slow (annoying) [FIXED: SteerMouse]

- Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Driver needed

I dont think any of this will help lol.. I have ga-m790gp-ud4h. I have ideneb 1.4. And IPC (MUCH better). Ok if I have the CPU overclocked kernel panic.. if I just overclock the CPU then its fine. I also found moving the sata drivers made a difference.

After I got it installed I would get to a blue screen where I would have to use -x just to get in which I have found alot have the same problem. Well my sata CDrom went bad so I had to use ide one. IPC installed fine and NO problem booting in to OSX man it was great. I get a new sata CDrom I just tried to boot into OSX and it would NOT. Right to a blue screen. I unplug the drive and boots in fine lol. I have SB** drivers installed ..

I dont like ideneb 1.4. Well I got kernel panics from time to time. Could not even install some programs. And my mouse feels alot better but I did after install of IPC installed voodoo the 9.6 so called ones..

I dont think any of this will help lol.. I have ga-m790gp-ud4h. I have ideneb 1.4. And IPC (MUCH better). Ok if I have the CPU overclocked kernel panic.. if I just overclock the CPU then its fine. I also found moving the sata drivers made a difference.

After I got it installed I would get to a blue screen where I would have to use -x just to get in which I have found alot have the same problem. Well my sata CDrom went bad so I had to use ide one. IPC installed fine and NO problem booting in to OSX man it was great. I get a new sata CDrom I just tried to boot into OSX and it would NOT. Right to a blue screen. I unplug the drive and boots in fine lol. I have SB** drivers installed ..

I dont like ideneb 1.4. Well I got kernel panics from time to time. Could not even install some programs. And my mouse feels alot better but I did after install of IPC installed voodoo the 9.6 so called ones..

I also downloaded iPC PPF5 FINAL, I did try it once already but got the 'pmap' kernel panic error when I tried to boot off of the CD, whereas the iDeneb 1.4 did not. If I see more issues with iDeneb I may try the iPC PPF5 FINAL release to see if this works better for me.

You mentioned you have "SB**" drivers installed - what SB card are you using and what driver did you use? Links and any other information you have for this would be appreciated.

Alright - I just am using the onboard audio... working so far.

Really my only outstanding issue is when I put all 8GB of RAM in, it won't fully boot... just hangs at the light blue screen before the login screen. No Kernel Panics though, so I dunno wassup.

I recently picked up a Phenom II 940 and Asus M4A79 Deluxe with hopes that I could get Leopard on it. I've experienced some of the kernel panics that deeksmooth had, but they seemed to go away for me by disabling Cool 'n' Quiet support in the bios.

What I'm wondering is if there will be a way to eventually re-enable that at some point so I don't have to have the the computer running full blast all the time.

• 9 months later...

board sata1-sata3 port (boot port)

sata1 hdd

sata3 dvd

ideneb 10.5.6 setup

bios

sata mode: ide

acpi 2: disable

dvd boot f8

-v -x

select kernel 9.2.2. see3(system profiler one core- activity monitor quad core see)

select amd patch

install finished

restart

bios sata mode: ahci

my system

m4a79

phenom II 920

9800 gtx

8 gb ram

300 gb sata2 hdd

sata dvd