iATKos v5i - IBM/Lenovo x61 tablet

acoma

59 posts in this topic

Working my way through http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...7574&st=220 backwards and trying to see if I can compile a list of how to make it easy specifically for iATKos.

I used vista to create partitions having found that partitions created with the osx disk utility did not show up in vista, then formatted the partition I wanted to use for osx with HFS+ using the osx disk utility after booting from the osx (iATKos) cd.

Base install:

Currently I have a running system with the following in setup config:

Installed :

iATKos v5i main system

boot loader - PC EFI v9

x86 patches - decrypters - AppleDecrypt

x86 patches - smbios drivers - smbios enablers - SMBIOS-EFI

x86 patches - acpi - ACPI x86 (x61 keyboard and mouse will not work without this)

x86 patches - Remove PowerManagement.kext (ticked on 2nd install, speedstep now working)

drivers - vga - Graphics update for 10.5.5

drivers - vga - intel - x3100 driver

drivers - vga - intel - EFI String for intel (2nd install didn't use this, gfx seem much faster now)

system - sata/ide - Intel AHCI SATA (if you use this one be sure your SATA is set to AHCI in bios)

system - speedstep - Intel Speedstep a (you MUST install 'disabler.kext' or tick 'Remove PowerManagement.kext' to use this, i went for the latter)

system - Laptop Battery

Removed from install:

x86 patches - Disabler.kext (unticked)

x86 patches - Remove thermal kexts (unticked, tested with temp monitor,mostly seems to stay about 5c lower with the thermal kexts left in)

The above 2 may be needed, but I wanted to try without first, the system boots and runs ok, but I need more info on what problems I should be looking out for?

I did not change the kernel options or anything else not mentioned at all.

Post install:

Audio

OSX lists the sound system as Intel High Definition audio, and the greyafter iATKos 5i install the volume +/- buttons above the F keys cause a UI popup that shows the volume changing, but you won't get any sound at this point.

You need -

AppleAzaliaAudio.kext (edit: do not use the one iATKos already installed)

AzaliaTurboTP1984.kext

both available from attachments in first post of http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=130425

Downloaded 'kext helper b7'

For each kext install type in password (if not present already), drag kext and drop in, click easy install)

1. use kext helper to install AppleAzaliaAudio.kext from the link above, it has an added id compared to the iATKos default.

2. use kext helper to install AzaliaTurboTP1984.kext

3. use kext helper - with password entered click 'advanced' click 'kext permissions' click 'run'

4. reboot

5. delete 'AppleAzaliaAudio.kext' from System/Library/Extensions/

6. reboot

7. try your grey vol up/down buttons, you should hear it click :)

Grey -/+ buttons work (easiest way to test as they beep) , and the mute button does work but provides no visual feedback.

You might get away without step 3, but the above definitely works.

Headphones wont work.

It seems a little bass light to me, but at least it works.

If your sound is choppy there was probably a problem with your initial install, such as installing speedstep but not disabling the PowerManagement.kext.

Ethernet:

install Intel82566MM.kext with kext helper (from http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=130425) has got the intel gigabit ethernet working (only 100mb network to test here though)

This system has Intel 4965abg wifi which is not currently working, and iATKos didn't offer a driver for it on install (iwidarwin project is working on it, detects WAP's but can't connect to encrypted ones at the moment)

Current noted problems : none

Tablet (Working):

You will need -

TabletMagic - http://sourceforge.net/projects/tabletmagic/ b16 or later (earlier versions the tabletpc panel would not show up for me, and the tablet nevre worked)

Copy /System/Library/Extensions/Apple16X50Serial.kext somewhere (take a backup too in case)

in the copy view contents - in that go to /Contents/PlugIns/Apple16X50ACPI.kext/Contents/Info.plist and double click to open in property list editor.

in that browse to Information Property List - > IOKitPersonalities -> ACPI 16X50 Serial Port -> IONameMatch.

You will see it has one value PNP0501.

Right click IONameMatch and change it's value to an Array, it will wipe any items.

click the button at the far right of IONameMatch to add an item to the array.

put in WACF004, right click IONameMatch and add another item and this will let you put PNP0501 back in as item 1.

use kext helper to install your newly modified kext, reboot.

ThinkPadTabletEnabler.kext - http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=673968 or the port wont show up, install with kext helper then use kext helper to fix permissions, reboot.

Go to System Prefferences and find the TabletMagic settings.

In the Setup tab everything is greyed out for me now, but it was on-

memory bank :active

Baus Rate: 19200

Data bits: 8

Parity: none

Stop Bits: 1

Handshake: both not ticked.

In TabletPC tab have "Don't Query" Ticked with this not ticked I lose the tablet.

At the top tick 'Enabled', if it doesn't work, go to 'Extras' tab and disable daemon then try again.

Once your tablet is detected (it will show ISD V4.0 (TabletPC) at the top) go to mapping and hit the 'all' buttons and it should position the cursor properly under the pen.

This all works even with the serial port disabled in the BIOS.

SD card reader:

Install IOSDHCIBlockDevice.kext.zip from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1040610

Drivers still to find / test :

Fingerprint reader

Extended (screen) buttons

OSX 10.5.6:

Just update! download the dmg, or use 'about this mac' - updates

The audio kext will have to be reinstalled afterwards.

Note if you forget a kext patch you can quickly install it by going through the setup process and having everything disabled (esp iATKos v5i main system) except the thing you wish to install.

http://code.google.com/p/iwidarwin/ - has not worked for 4965abg (in fact now airport says 'cable unplugged' lol) 'Network Selector' (teminal version) from iwidarwin runs and can detect my network, but this build only seems to let you associate unencrypted networks so I can not test any further.

To_Fix_OSX86_Sound.pkg.zip - was claimed to work for 82801H audio, doesn't seem to have made any change

following - http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...2676&st=160 I now have sound (it was seriously choppy, but new iATKos install with some setup fixes solved that)

all 3 files needed (azalia, turbo patch, and ethernet) are correctly linked in this first post : http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=130425

Any updates so far on LCD brightness?

Not that I have seen, but I have mostly just been trying to work out why I can't get my wacom working, no replies on the x61 thread :)

I find it odd that the screen is dim when booting and recognizes when it's done and brightens, so in a way the capability is definitely there, it is just that no-one has figured it out yet.

off topic - curse the x200 for it's crappy resolution screen (compared to sxga+) and osx graphics incompatability, I have no wish to upgrade now.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Lenovo X61 osx instaled with iATKos and updated to 10.5.5

and the following are working and driver can be found in this forum

Fingerprint reader

SD card reader

PCMCIA card ( will disable sleep) is installed will not go to sleep or will crash when coming back from sleep

Audio speaker

The only thing not working is

Audio built in mic and audio input / output jack

and LCD Brightness adjustment.

and some occasional over heating

I got ride of Vista and OSX is my only os on my Lenovo X61

used kext helper b7 -> fix permissions -> run script.

ran system update to 10.5.6, told to reboot at 53%, did so,

waited at the throbber for ages it then rebooted itself,

next boot was fast and it seems to have completed, no changes necessary.

no DSTD hack or anything applied before or after, no kext copying, it just worked.

have to reinstall audio again, (same method as above) but that is all.

Could you explain what this step does? And is it crucial?

>delete 'AppleAzaliaAudio.kext' from System/Library/Extensions/

I got leopard up and running on a x61s, thanks to your instructions. But no sound. I couldn't get kexthelper to run, but used osx86tools. When I went to delete the kext, it seems to be already gone. Using "sudo rm ...", it says it's a directory. Changing to the dir, it appears to be empty.

Many thanks for your guide.

Absolutely it is crucial, follow ALL of the numbered steps in the audio section, your question should be solved by step 1.

I have had to reinstall audio on this several times over reinstalls testing several things, and again after the 10.5.6 update, and that list is currently what has worked for me each time. Any variation or skipping any of the points has always resulted in no sound and having to start from step 1 again for me.

I do find it strange that you need to temporarily install a kernel extension this way, I would hope that someone writes a better driver, until then this is the only way.

I'll be looking at the Wacom tablet issue again soon.

Thanks for the guide acoma!

I'm going to start tonight to try to get this to work on my x61t.

Edit:

obstacles tackled so far:

* make sure to to set SATA to the A____ mode in the BIOS, or else it will sit at the grey apple screen forever after the first reboot after installing

* disconnect from the ultrabase dock, or else the audio steps acoma gives won't work right

Stuck on: ethernet

I installed the ktext for ethernet, but its not detecting that I plug in the cable.

I click the "assist me" and go to the "network diagnostics" utility, but all the options ("ethernet", "external modem" and "airport") are greyed out, except for "other.

Could this have something to do with the fact that I picked "this mac will not connect to the internet" during installation?

I wouldn't mind not having network access, except that Final Cut Pro isn't working either, and the problem could be related to network adapters according to some people.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/i...php/t53468.html (I deleted the NetworkInterfaces.plist like someone suggested, but that didn't help).

Could this have something to do with the fact that I picked "this mac will not connect to the internet" during installation?

No, I chose that too to stop it auto registering. Installing the kext will still setup the hardware in osx for you. Unless your machine somehow has a different NIC to my x61's Intel 82566MM gigabit nic I don't see why it would though.

make sure to to set SATA to the A____ mode in the BIOS, or else it will sit at the grey apple screen forever after the first reboot after installing
(AHCI) I did warn you ;)

Nice doc acoma !

I have some (stupid) questions though.

I tried the install this weekend. Everything worked fine, as I installed the system as described.

But I had no luck installing the kext's, at least the hardware doesn't work (audio, ethernet, tablet)

Could you please help me as I'm a complete newbie: What's the right installation with kext helper ?

Do i have to load every single modules and then "use kext helper - click 'advanced' click 'kext permissions' click 'run' " every single time

or

do I have to load all the modules first (in the list) and then "use kext helper - click 'advanced' click 'kext permissions' click 'run' "?

Does this make any difference ?

Also, is there a way to skip registration ? Afaik it's "Apple+Q" on a mac but this is useless since X61t has no "Apple-Key".

Fingerprint reader

SD card reader

PCMCIA card ( will disable sleep) is installed will not go to sleep or will crash when coming back from sleep

Audio speaker

I got ride of Vista and OSX is my only os on my Lenovo X61

Are the drivers for the mentioned Hardware integrated in an update or could you please link to the drivers (totally newbie, sorry) ?

Does that mean one can update via Apple Update or is there another clue on 10.5.5 update ?

THX a lot !!!

X61t 1,8 GHz 2 GB Ram

Do i have to load every single modules and then "use kext helper - click 'advanced' click 'kext permissions' click 'run' " every single time

or

do I have to load all the modules first (in the list) and then "use kext helper - click 'advanced' click 'kext permissions' click 'run' "?

That list is a numbered list of what to do, exactly, in an exact order.

Also, is there a way to skip registration ? Afaik it's "Apple+Q" on a mac but this is useless since X61t has no "Apple-Key".

on a PC keyboard the key labeled ALT is the Apple key.

Are the drivers for the mentioned Hardware integrated in an update or could you please link to the drivers (totally newbie, sorry) ?
You would have to hunt through the forums, i'm adding to the first post as and when i find things that work (except for the tablet, that should work by all accounts I have read, but isn't for me so far. WIP= Work In Progress)
Does that mean one can update via Apple Update or is there another clue on 10.5.5 update ?

10.5.6 updates work from apple update, or download the full update .dmg from the apple website.

Does anyone get a distorted blue screen at startup sometimes? It happens to be once in a while and it's very inconsistent so I can't pin point what is causing it. I think it averages out to once every 5 boots or so.

No problems like that here so far.

Stuck on: ethernet

I installed the ktext for ethernet, but its not detecting that I plug in the cable.

I click the "assist me" and go to the "network diagnostics" utility, but all the options ("ethernet", "external modem" and "airport") are greyed out, except for "other.

I wouldn't mind not having network access, except that Final Cut Pro isn't working either, and the problem could be related to network adapters according to some people.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/i...php/t53468.html (I deleted the NetworkInterfaces.plist like someone suggested, but that didn't help).

No, I chose that too to stop it auto registering. Installing the kext will still setup the hardware in osx for you. Unless your machine somehow has a different NIC to my x61's Intel 82566MM gigabit nic I don't see why it would though.

Okay. I had no luck installing with the setting set differently. According to Device Manager in Windows, I have the exact same NIC.

Where/when exactly in the set of steps is the (best) time to do the 10.5.6 update? Maybe that could be (part of) the issue? (I didn't do the update at all).

Where/when exactly in the set of steps is the (best) time to do the 10.5.6 update? Maybe that could be (part of) the issue? (I didn't do the update at all).

Ive done 2 installs, one before adding any kexts, and one after.

the only difference was when I had installed kexts prior to the 10.5.6 update I had to reinstall the audio after the update.

You'r right and I maybe a fool (or newbie). So let's look harder:

1. use kext helper to install AppleAzaliaAudio.kext from the linkabove, it has an added id compared to the iATKos default.

This is just "Easy install" right ?

2. use kext helper to install AzaliaTurboTP1984.kext

Again "Easy install" right ?

4. use kext helper - click 'advanced' click 'kext permissions' click 'run'

This should read numer 3 right ? After the 2 above "Easy intstalls" this is *then* advanced ...

3. reboot

Number 4 ...

4. delete 'AppleAzaliaAudio.kext' from System/Library/Extensions/

Number 5 and so on ...

Ethernet is then "Easy install" again, right ?

on a PC keyboard the key labeled ALT is the Apple key

10.5.6 updates work from apple update, or download the full update .dmg from the apple website.

Nice !!

I'm very thankful for your effort here, but I can count too ;)

No offending.

Big THX for your work here !

@el31415

Fingerprint reader

SD card reader

Audio speaker

Could you please post links here ?

This could speed up acomas work and effort here, I think ...

Let's get the X61 Babies running fully suported under MacOSX as I feel my X61t really needs this OS :)

THX

This should read numer 3 right ? After the 2 above "Easy intstalls" this is *then* advanced ...

No offending.

Fixed. No offense taken, just my mistake not checking it earlier, no idea how the numbers ended up unfixed in the first place.

I have not spent any time on the remaining drivers yet because i don't need them and it's a pain not having wifi, I will deal with them at some time.

Thanks for the guide acoma!

I've installed using most of the guide. The only real difference is that I'm using the Intel SATA drivers without ACHI. I prefer not having to swap the state of AHCI on every reboot, especially since I don't really know what it buys you.

That said, I have a strange graphics problem. Occasionally when I reboot, I don't get a workable screen. The grey mac screen loads, then switches to another screen that is all blue. It goes black momentarily and when it comes back it either works at 1400x1050 (regardless of what I set "Graphics Mode" to when I boot), or I get what looks like a horizontal sync problem. The screen is blue with rapidly shifting blue bars across the whole thing.

By the way, I'm running iAtkos v5 with the x3100 drivers and Graphics Update. This is a dual boot system with XP. I'm using the XP boot manager and chain0 on the XP partition. The darwin bootloader is on the Mac parition.

Anyone know what causes the horizontal sync problem? Why is it occasional? And what needs to be done to fix it?

Thanks!

I have always just left AHCI on in the BIOS it's the better performance option ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Host...oller_Interface ) , it works fine here with vista, and when I have tried ubuntu.

AHCI doesn't work with stock XP, though I think there are some third party drivers that will work with it... but that's a lot more hassle to get working and I hate messing at that low a level with XP. It breaks too easily...