4GB Crash Issue

jonwh

3 posts in this topic

Greetings

When I use the maxmem=3325 kernel flag, my system is rock solid (handles everything I can throw at it). However, as soon as I remove the maxmem flag, I experience freezes (and even a few kernel panics) while using iPhoto, iMovie, FCE4, etc...

Based on what I have read, this is typically caused by JMicron.kext or AppleVIAATA.kext. I have removed both (even though I don't think I needed to because I have no IDE devices), however, I am still experiencing issues...

I started with the kalyway 10.5.1 dvd with the sii3132 raid driver, ran virginizer, applied the kalyway 10.5.2 combo update, applied audio kexts, installed all apple updates, ran nvinject installer for video and installed the shutdown / restart fix kernel, installed 9.2.2 kernel from toh because I was having usb problems (9.2.0 kernel / 9.2.2 kext discrepencies), manually loaded IOUSBMassStorageClass on startup to further address usb issues, and then removed JMicron and AppleVIAATA kexts as I mentioned before...

I realize there isn't much differece between 3.25GB and 4GB RAM, but I have another 4GB laying around, and I would like to bump my system up to 8GB. I have the same problems with 8GB, btw. Nothing I have tried will let me run more than 3.25GB RAM...

Any ideas?

I am pretty sure you can set maxmem to more than 2 GB. I think I read somewhere that 3.5 GB was the limit.

I haven't taken the time to increment 3325 to figure out what my max stable value is.

I almost wish my system crashed in these circumstances, at least then I would have some logs to look at...