Any way to legally obtain 64bit drivers?

xyzzy

3 posts in this topic

Let's get to the point:

- I bought a Macbook Pro 2.2 last August. It came with OS X 10.4

- I bought the new OS X 10.5 a few months back and installed it. It came with 32bit Bootcamp drivers only.

- Today's Macbook Pro (Penryn) ship with OS X 10.5.2 and 64bit Bootcamp drivers for (almost?) full Vista 64bit support.

So, assuming that:

- I legally own an Apple machine that is capable to run Vista 64bit under Bootcamp

- I legally own the latest available OS X which comes with the legit Bootcamp drivers

... how in the world am I assumed to legally get those 64bit drivers that Apple has been silently introducing in the OS X disks shipped with this year's machines but didn't make available by any other means?

Yes, I know there is a torrent around which supposedly contains those drivers (but then that's the disk that came with a Mac Pro, not a Macbook Pro which is what I have) but I want to know how to get them from a reliable source - e.g. APPLE itself.

Why don't they offer a free update for the owners of Apple machines & Leopard? Why couldn't they distribute it together with the 10.5.x system updates?

I really don't understand why I have to waste my hardware resources (e.g. lose 1 GB of ram - I have 4 GB total - which is so damn precious under Vista) for this ridiculous Apple behaviour. They've finally made the 64bit drivers, right? They are only useful in Apple machines that they've previously sold, right? So why don't they distribute them????

Ok, end of rant. I'm seriously pi**ed off, if it wasn't clear. :P

• 2 weeks later...

The mac pro driver disk that happened to come into my possession that i believed to originate from the cove of illegitimate sailors had every driver i needed for my 2.2 mbp except the graphics card, for which i used the latest forceware driver for the desktop 8800 series from laptopvideo2go.com and swapped out the inf file for the one they provided. Everything works except two finger tap i haven't worked out yet.

So basically there isn't yet a totally legal way but it can easily be done.

• 2 weeks later...