Do I really need EFI ?

toramoi

9 posts in this topic

Hi !

Finally, I managed to install 10.5.1 on my PC ! Dual Booting OSX / XP. Everything works just fine and stable, including pro applications and Software Update.

The question is : Do I really need to install EFI ? What this will give me ? Performance boost ?

I realized, that EFi is not installed after downloading and running Geekbench 2. It says, my system is :

Platform Mac OS X x86 (32-bit)

Compiler GCC 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5465)

Operating System Mac OS X 10.5.1 (Build 9B18)

Model Hackintosh

Motherboard ACPI

Processor Intel® Core2 CPU 6320 @ 1.86GHz

Processor ID GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6

Logical Processors 2

Physical Processors 1

Processor Frequency 1.86 GHz

L1 Instruction Cache 32.0 KB

L1 Data Cache 32.0 KB

L2 Cache 4.00 MB

L3 Cache 0.00 B

Bus Frequency 1.06 GHz

Memory 1.00 GB

Memory Type 667 MHz RAM

SIMD 1

BIOS N/A

Processor Model Intel Core 2 Duo E6320

As I know, EFI enabled system should be recognized as Mac instead if Hackintosh. ( which doesn't bother me )

And Platform is 32-bit - is that normal ? Should this be 64-bit ?

I'm asking all this 'cause of not knowing, if EFI worth it ? I spent WEEKS to install OSX, so don't want to mess the whole thing up with further

" improvements "....

Please, advice !

God bless this forum !

geek.tiff

Ok. As my present system is stable and Pro Apps are working at full, I choose not to digg further. In fact, I don't need these OS updates. I'm happy with 10.5.1 )) So let it be ! )

Thanx 2 all ! Peace !

P.S. Geek bench result of my rig is 2565 now the time.

If you're using an Intel processor then EFI is a great thing. It should speed up your hack and allows you to install the vanilla kernel which means your hack is even closer to the real deal. It also can speed up hard drive access by 50% which should speed up your whole system. EFI takes 2 secs to install and is even an option you can choose with Kalyway's install. I say go for it, you have nothing to lose. It can't stuff your hack up at all, in fact it'll make your hack experience that much better.

you will be able to take all updates from software update w/ out bricking your install
Incorrect. 10.5.2 is an example of an update that can kill your system even with EFI. The Airport/Time Machine update can also break the install because it updates the kernel.

The general rule about anything is if you're comfortable never updating your system and its stable, why bother changing things? If you're in a position where you can easily reinstall, I'd say go for it. It will allow you to install using a vanilla kernel and many future updates (always check here first after its released to hear people's experience with it).

Thanx 4 yr opinions, hackmates !

Hmmm... This is the first time, that somebody said " EFI installation gives speed boosting and HD access acceleration ".

Actually, I was looking 4 EFI patches in Kalyway DVD. There is an option, right. BUT... It is availaible only if I install it together with whole OS. I can't apply this patch AFTER OSX installation. I mean, I can't switch off that " Install main sysytem files " files in customization menu, which will give me total reinstall.

+ My HDs are congigured as IDE. IF I turn it to AHCI, XP won't boot.

+ In disk utility Mac HD " mount " button is greyed out.

+ Mac HD is MBR.

+ All those Terminal commands returned " permission denied "

Disregarding all of it, OS is stable, I just don't do 10.5.2 update, the others are installed and working.

Is there some really good " how to " about EFI post-OSX installation ? including needed files ?