Kalyway Kernel Panic

Zyphon

6 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

My Kalyway 10.5.1 install goes perfectly, but I'm getting a kernel panic every time I try to boot after install. The three installs I've tried are

- Regular Kernel, NVInject Desktop, EFI_MBR bootloader

- Vanilla Kernel, EFI_MBR bootloader

- Vanilla Kernel, Vanilla ACPI fix, EFI_MBR bootloader

This is what is put out when I boot with -v [at this time, the panic has already occured]: http://img359.imageshack.us/my.php?image=computer002fh6.jpg

Am I using the wrong custom options for my hardware, or what?

Thanks in advance for all help!

EDIT:

So I finally got some time today to try all this out. I unplugged 2 GB of RAM, my floppy drive, my IDE DVD drive, my PS2 Keyboard, My PCI wireless adapter, one monitor, and my second SATA harddrive, but it still kernel panic'ed in the same place with the -x -v cpus=1 options.

This pretty much leaves either my video card, motherboard, primary SATA HDD, or CPU as the problem. I've heard this motherboard is fine for Kalyway, and I know people have gotten their hackintoshises up with core 2's via the vanilla kernel. The SATA HDD is the second most likely, as apparently the JMicron driver isn't particularly robust, but I don't have any way of checking that. Given that many people HAVE gotten it to work with SATA on Kalyway, I don't think it's the problem.

That singles it down to my video card, an EVGA NVidia GeForce 8800GT 512MB. Has anyone else had trouble with the card? I didn't install anything for video cards during installation customization since none of them matched, but during -v boots, it still comes up with identifying my card as an NVidia GeForce via NVInject. Is that normal? Is there a way I can disable NVInject, or do I want to?

I read that I need NVInstaller for this card to work, but I can't figure out how to install it via single user mode. (It's a .pkg). Is there any way to install pkg's from single user mode/the terminal?

Thanks in advance for all help, I've tried really hard to get this working, so I'd be truly grateful for any replies.

Andy

That got rid of the error, but it still kernel panics.

Based on my hardware, do you all have any other ideas?

I'm going to try booting without my IDE DVD drive plugged in, with kernel flags maxmem=3325, cpus=1, -x, and -legacy, I'll let you all know what happens.

I also copied all the extensions off the DVD into my extensions dir (bad idea? Someone please tell me), so I'm not sure how that's going to go.

Any thing else you can think of that I should try?

So I finally got some time today to try all this out. I unplugged 2 GB of RAM, my floppy drive, my IDE DVD drive, my PS2 Keyboard, My PCI wireless adapter, one monitor, and my second SATA harddrive, but it still kernel panic'ed in the same place with the -x -v cpus=1 options.

This pretty much leaves either my video card, motherboard, primary SATA HDD, or CPU as the problem. I've heard this motherboard is fine for Kalyway, and I know people have gotten their hackintoshises up with core 2's via the vanilla kernel. The SATA HDD is the second most likely, as apparently the JMicron driver isn't particularly robust, but I don't have any way of checking that. Given that many people HAVE gotten it to work with SATA on Kalyway, I don't think it's the problem.

That singles it down to my video card, an EVGA NVidia GeForce 8800GT 512MB. Has anyone else had trouble with the card? I didn't install anything for video cards during installation customization since none of them matched, but during -v boots, it still comes up with identifying my card as an NVidia GeForce via NVInject. Is that normal? Is there a way I can disable NVInject, or do I want to?

I read that I need NVInstaller for this card to work, but I can't figure out how to install it via single user mode. (It's a .pkg). Is there any way to install pkg's from single user mode/the terminal?

Thanks in advance for all help, I've tried really hard to get this working, so I'd be truly grateful for any replies.

Andy

• 1 year later...
Hey guys,

My Kalyway 10.5.1 install goes perfectly, but I'm getting a kernel panic every time I try to boot after install. The three installs I've tried are

- Regular Kernel, NVInject Desktop, EFI_MBR bootloader

- Vanilla Kernel, EFI_MBR bootloader

- Vanilla Kernel, Vanilla ACPI fix, EFI_MBR bootloader

This is what is put out when I boot with -v [at this time, the panic has already occured]: http://img359.imageshack.us/my.php?image=computer002fh6.jpg

Am I using the wrong custom options for my hardware, or what?

Thanks in advance for all help!

EDIT:

Andy

Well you can disable your NVInject kext...

login to your system via Single User Mode "-s" and when it comes to root, type "/sbin/mount -uw /", this will give you write permissions to your partition!!!... now type "cd /System/Library/Extentions"

here "rm -R NVInject*" this will delete your NVInject kexts and will ultimatley disable this driver... now try using dmos.. google it a bit for ur display