Bootcd for intel Macs with Symantec Ghost,...

11 posts in this topic

Hey,

I´ve made a bootcd for intel macs. So far it can do this:

- Boot dos (not a big deal :P )

- Use the XMS/EMS memory in dos (that was not possible with the regular himem.sys/emm386)

- Start Symantec Ghost 11.0.1 with USB support (still slow, working on that), so you can make a backup to an external hdd including all your settings, files, partitions, ...

You can write to NTFS & FAT32 disks (not hfs+!)

- Start Symantec Ghost 11.0.1 with network support, so you can ghostcast to your windowsmachine. This only works for intel mac´s with the same networkcard as my macbook pro 15inch. More info is in the readme.txt that comes with the iso

- Start Ghost with usb and network support (the two above togeter)

- In dos, you can eject the cd (because my macbook pro does not have a key, so without a reboot you can swap cd´s now)

- Sysinfo (show what hardware is in your mac), still buggy! Working on implementing another one.

- Reboot without holding the button (not a big deal, but handy when playing/testing all the time). Else my button will be broken in a few months because of all the testing :P

- Make a backup of your 200mb partion that holds software/firmware for the mac (can anyone tell me more about this partition? My mac has it, but in OSX it does not show. Is this the Open Source Firmware/bios? You can use a usb stick to leave the backup on it :)

The reason i made this, is that I don´t like programs like superduper and other clonesoftware packages. I want to make a perfect diskcopy including partitions, hfs+, ntfs, Fat32 etc etc

The other reason I have, is that its fun to make something special... right? :)

Warning!: Only test it if you know what you are doing. If you don´t know what hfs or ntfs is, don´t even start testing :)

Link to my creation are spread all over the internet by now. Just search for bootcd DMK V0.1

Hope people appreciate it. I am sharing because there are probably more people like me, who want to make backups out of the box, and not from inside the box (if you know what I mean..)

I burned my iso with Nero, but I think any isoburning tool will do the job. Don´t forget to close the session when burning an iso. You can burn it to cd or to DVDR(W).

Still working on improvements, worked around 6 hours on this one...

Any comments are welcome. And if you must complain, please leave relevant information, so I can work on it.

Friendly greetz,

Demesmaeker

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi! This is an interesting CD image you are working with! Maybe you can answer this question: I am creating an ISO image with BootWizard from the Symantec Ghost Solution Suite 2.0.1, yet the image (an ISO file) when burned to a CD, would not bootstrap! Do you have an idea how to use this function correctly?

Thank you!

I think it cannot work. Its not that you are missing something, but Symantec Ghost Solution Suite 2.0.1 works totally different.

Can you give me some more information? How did you get the iso to restore etc? What are the exact extensions of the files and how are you restoring them?

My bootcd can make a full copy including partitions. Of course superduper works great, but this version (ghost for dos) can include ntfs / linux / fat /ntfs etc etc partitions into 1 image.

I wanted to make a bootcd with a win32 extender so its possible to run some games, maybe even xbmc (from cd then, I know that xmbc for osx allready exists).

Greetz,

Demesmaeker

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Just wanted to say that your boot CD is great and thanks for sharing it! It will help with quick backups and restores that I'm used to when administering my PC network. It took a long time to get your disk image via bit torrent - not many people have in as seed - still I'm pleased to have got it. Seeing you manged to boot to a ramdisk on a mac, would it be easy to add the other Hiren utilities to your disk?

Thanks again

kpyf

• 2 months later...

Howdy,

I got your bootcd downloaded and am trying to run it and have the same issue each time. It gets to the menu then goes into a bad command or file name loop. When it goes to mount a cd volume called Jerry, which I thought was a ram drive, it says can't find then goes to the menu and the loop. My guess is that it's looking for the applications on the drive that doesn't mount? Any advice?

Thanks

Derek

Found the problem. Haven't been able to resolve it yet. There's a Matsu{censored}a drive in the iMac 20 that either the oak cd driver isn't compatible with or some issue inbetween that's not allowing for proper detection. It's a Matsushia DVD-R UJ-875 ATAPI. I've been looking for a specific compatible DOS driver, which isn't easy because oak usually does the trick, but haven't found one yet. I thought there was some kind of RAM drive setup but this looks like a pretty standard DOS boot disc after looking throught the autoexec and config files. Anyone try this on a new iMac yet?

• 3 months later...

Since last 1 year I have been using Norton Ghost v11 or v10 to image the Apple Partition. Its advisable to make a image when you want to update or anything.

PS 20 GB of Partition of Mac is compressed into 7 GB of Image. If anything happen just reimage the partition and done don't need to reinstall the whole OS. If you have KP or Boot issue Norton Ghost is the best tool

With Regards,

$tealth

Hi! Thanks for your time! I'm doing a VtoP migration (VMWare Fusion virtual machine to bootcamp) and I couldn't have done it without your handy Boot CD! :D

Best wishes and cheers! :P

You are welcome! Glad to hear that some people used my bootable disk! :D

Greetz,

Demesmaeker

Found the problem. Haven't been able to resolve it yet. There's a Matsu{censored}a drive in the iMac 20 that either the oak cd driver isn't compatible with or some issue inbetween that's not allowing for proper detection. It's a Matsushia DVD-R UJ-875 ATAPI. I've been looking for a specific compatible DOS driver, which isn't easy because oak usually does the trick, but haven't found one yet. I thought there was some kind of RAM drive setup but this looks like a pretty standard DOS boot disc after looking throught the autoexec and config files. Anyone try this on a new iMac yet?

Try this driver (you will need to alter my bootdvd to insert the driver first! Hope you can do that: http://sta.c64.org/dosprg/mkdvd104.zip

That zip file contains a universal matsu{censored}a dos atapi cd/dvd driver.

Friendly greetz,

Demesmaeker