Is it possible to install without having a Mac involved at any point?

kyoseki

6 posts in this topic

I have a badaxe 2/q6600/8800gt workstation that I want to set up with Leopard, but all the install instructions I've seen either use a Mac to patch the OS X Retail DVD (which I am totally ok buying and will pick up this afternoon if I know I can get OS X running) or require a pre-existing install of Tiger/Leopard somewhere.

I don't have access to a Mac with a DVD burner (a Macbook Pro is on the cards, but not until next month and my gf's powerbook doesn't have a dvd burner), is there any way to perform the BrazilMAC patch to the retail DVD with a PC? Or is it a case of using the Kalyway disc? I'd like to use a vanilla kernel and keep the OS as original as possible, since my machine is pretty close to Mac hardware anyway (I understand there's sound issues, but that's a very minor thing).

My understanding is that you can't install from the retail DVD because the PC EFI software never gets a chance to get loaded (I'm also assuming there's no way to install Mac compatible EFI on the badaxe 2 board even though it should be theoretically possible) so you have to perform a few tricks to get OS X onto your hard drive (which is why you need to patch the retail DVD?) and then use a PC EFI bootloader to get the EFI up and running so that the vanilla kernel starts up fine, is this a generally correct understanding of the process involved?.

Thanks.

I have a q6600 cpu and a GA P35-DS3R mobo and the Kaly Leo 10.5.1 worked just ok with the vanilla kernel. I´m typing this on it now. As I understand the problem is to get a "real" Leo running but with Kalys well just put it in your dvd set it to boot and you´re good to go.

I actually have bought a copy of the "real" Leo and I think everybody should buy one just to show some respect to the Mac guys cause this is one H of an OS but I don´t use it on my Hack cause Kalys works just perfect. I´m running Logic Pro 8 (also paid for) as my main application cause I´m a music nerd, got 8 gig of 800Mhz memory in it and it works super good. Have´nt even bothered to overcklock it no need to do that it just works good enough anyway.

Well updates work but from what I read here not OSX updates though. Sorry I don´t know anything about your videocard and compability issues, I have a GA Geforce 7300 gs PCIe 256mb and in my old P4 3Ghz (have kalys Leo 10.5.1 on this one to) a PNY Geforce 6200 256mb AGP, both works. With Nvinject driver also dual screen.

Good luck

@Kyoseki...the BA2 board is still one of the most compatible boards out there for both Tiger and Leopard. It's not the newest board by any stretch, but with a quad extreme chip (or regular quad) it's still very stable and quite fast. You should be able to install most of the major versions of Leopard...JaS, iAtkos, Kalyway etc. in mbr just fine, right from your installer disk. The problem with BA2 comes with guid efi. It doesn't seem to add efi7.4 or efi8 or make the volume active right from the installer. However, this can be done via your install disk, terminal and a usb thumb drive with the efi files on it. There are several tutorials floating around on the step by step procedure to do this. Hope this helps.

Ok, thanks BJ, I guess my next question is how original is the Kalyway install? I know there are some art changes and things like that that identify it as being a hack, and I'd rather avoid those if I can (since it makes it easier to detect as OSx86 and so more likely to get bricked).

I'd like to keep the install as original as possible, so I was hoping to just use the BrazilMAC patch to modify the OEM Leopard disc, but this only runs on a Mac, is there an equivalent patcher for PC?

As for speed, I'm looking into overclocking the Q6600, everything I've read says it'll run perfectly well at 3.0 Ghz with a decent cooler, at that speed and with 8 gigs of ram, this old board will give most machines a run for their money :angel:

... now if Intel would just release a 100% compatible mainboard with the Mac EFI preloaded ... :)