installing on a NewTek VT4 machine.

3 posts in this topic

at work ive got what is basicly a mid range server that currently has XP Pro installed on it. we use NewTek's software package on it called Visual Toaster 4, aka, VT4, for video recording and production. well, as we all know, Windows sucks, otherwise we wouldnt be here. we'll be in the middle of a project and the stupid thing will lock up on us and we'll have to start over from scratch. i have suggested us just buying a MacPro, but budget doesnt allow for it. anyways.... i have been given permission to try and install OS x86 on another hard drive in it and see if i can get it to work with the "breakout box" and PCI controller cards. the system itself is (if memory serves me correct)an Intel board with 2 dual core Xeon 3.0's. video is a Nvidia GeForce 6600. 2 raid controllers, both Adaptec AIC-7902B with total of 4 sata 250 gig drives, all hardware RAID as far as i know. the "breakout box" model number is an NewTek SX-84. i couldnt find any kind of model number on the PCI controller cards for it. the face of them look like a dual monitor VGA card with audio in and out. the other that sits right above looks the exact same, but is something like a dongle-ish card. its not a full card, it has ribbon cables coming off of it that plug into the other previously mentioned larger card. i havent tried yet, but i dont forsee having a problem with actually installing OS X, but i do see having problems getting the NewTek stuff working. if i get this to work, it will be my 4th Hackintosh under my belt, so i know how to solve most regular install problems and "tinkering" will not be a problem to get it to work. after its all said and done and it works, we plan on trying to get Final Cut Pro to work with it. any help is much appreciated.

thanks,

Jon

Hey I think you may want to think twice before modifying the VT4 turnkey system since i think that you will void your warranty on the solution which will leave you in the dark when you need to get support.... I have worked with VT4s in several production environments and usually there are rigid warranty terms that need to be followed...

i dont plan on changing anything on the original install. i intend to just stick in another hard drive and go from there. if i did it with the original hard drive, i'd be digging myself into a deeper hole than i am already because i would be loosing all my settings. i doubt they could hold anything warranty related against me if i just swap the drive. theres not really any way of them finding out unless the things IDE or sata channel dies. then i'd be SOL either way, and the warranty would cover that anyways. im not really worried about waranty, i just want to try my hand at OS x86 on it to see if it all will work.

thanks,

Jon