How do I burn the .iso?

jadphoto14

16 posts in this topic

I have the .iso file of kalaway 10.5.1, but I have no idea on how to make it a bootable DVD. I tried burning the iso to a DVD using DVD decrypter, but when I select boot from DVD when I start up, it doesnt do anything. So, can someone give me full directions on how I should burn the .iso image to make my kalaway work?

Edit: I don't know if this helps, but when I looked at the DVD I burned with DVD decrypter, it only had a few files on it and it was only ~150 KB. And when I tried to boot from it, it gave me the NTLDR is missing error.

For me a program called SlySoft CloneDVD which has always worked, there is a trial version or you can use the "bay"

http://www.slysoft.com/en/download.html then click CloneDVD (they have a trial version)

Once installed and run:

1. Write Existing Data

2. ISO/UDF (Choose File)

3. Assign a Volume Label (Name of DVD)

4. Choose preferred speed 1x or 2x preferably

5. Click Go

6. Wait till the burn is done and you're finished!

I'm unsure whether the trial version has any limitations except for the amount of days.

Also the reason why you can only see ~150kb is because Windows cannot see HFS+ formatted files, to see the remaining ~3.5GB you need a program such as MacDrive or Transmac. Hope this helped!

Thanks. Well, my burn is almost done, so hopefully it will work! Give me luck!

Edit: Nope, didnt work. I'm still getting the NTLDR missing error.

Edit 2: Well, I tried it in my external USB drive, and its now on loading Darwin/x86!

So when you try to boot from it you still get the NTLDR error, that's strange because it shouldn't happen. So it means that the boot files may be mucked up in the ISO. This is confusing me, since Mac installation doesn't need NTLDR to boot up as that is a Windows boot file that Windows needs.

I think start another topic on this or maybe ask some people who have more knoledge on the issue or have this issue and have resolved it. It may be a corrupt ISO file or maybe BIOS settings causing this to happen but otherwise i can't tell much more.

Maybe post a screenshot of the problem as that might help. Good Luck.

Edit: Great! It's working, lucky your computer can boot from USB's... mine can't ;)

Ok now I'm having trouble. I'm in disk utility, but my hard drive doesn't show up in the selection pane. I pulled out my other drive so this hard drive is completely blank, and formatted in NTFS, just until I could make it HFS in disk utility. So, how do I make it visible? When I first booted up I could choose the hard drive in the boot menu, but its nowhere to be seen in disk utility.

Ok, I got past that, but now my keyboard doesn't work. I'm using a PS/2 keyboard and USB mouse.

Ok now I'm having trouble. I'm in disk utility, but my hard drive doesn't show up in the selection pane. I pulled out my other drive so this hard drive is completely blank, and formatted in NTFS, just until I could make it HFS in disk utility. So, how do I make it visible? When I first booted up I could choose the hard drive in the boot menu, but its nowhere to be seen in disk utility.

Ok, I got past that, but now my keyboard doesn't work. I'm using a PS/2 keyboard and USB mouse.

Pretty sure you have to use USB Keyboard and Mouse.

So when you mean you have got past that do you mean that you have finished installation now and have restarted and booted up Leopard and now your PS/2 Keyboard and USB Mouse don't work?

(Long sentence...)

That's strange since why would you even need to type the name of the drive. In disk utility don't you usually just take the FAT32 Hard Drive Partition, format it into Mac OS (Journaled) and then it should turn up to install onto. Unless it's different in Leopard (this is on my experience of JaS 10.4.8)

I never typed anything at all during installation, i only ticked some boxes and done the disk utility bit.

If i'm understanding you wrong then do explain and i'm sorry if i'm not understanding your point.

In disk utility after I select Mac OS Extended (Journaled), there is an option to name the drive. By default it was "Untitled," buy I want to change it to leopard to make things easier to see. And I'm also going to need to use the keyboard later to fill in some info. I just restarted my comp with both ps/2 devices in, so we'll see how this works.

Edit: Nope, both ps/2 doesn't work. The mouse didnt even move. So, I'm back to looking for a USB adaptor or keyboard....

Well, I'll probably go out and buy a USB keyboard tonight, but in the meantime let's figure somthing else out. Right before I install, which customize choices should I select? I know I don't need any of the video, sound, or networking drivers, but the other things? I think I need the MBR bootloader, thats what my drive is setup as. And then for vanilla kernel, well, what is it? I think I need both cause it has a ps/2 fix in it.

How long is it supposed to be calculating the time remaining? Mine has been doing so for about half an hour. It says "Installing Mac OS X on the volume 'Untitled'"

then under that is the status bar which hasn't moved in a while. Its at about maybe 5%. Then under that it says Time Remaining: Calculating...

I have a feeling it might be my hard drive. Periodically it shuts off, so could that be why it is not installing? How can I fix that?