help! Computer restarts during Kalyway 10.5.1

lilruggedboy

3 posts in this topic

I'm new to this and need help. I've tried looking everywhere and can't find a solution. :rolleyes:

Basically when I try installing, after it loads a bunch of 'system' files it'll restart. At first, when I realized it would happen right after the screen changes resolution, I wondered if it was because I was outputing to HDMI. I forced the computer to output to DVI which was connected to a converter that went into a VGA monitor; that didn’t work. I changed my HDD’s to IDE, disabled by bios’s ‘XD’ feaute that restrics anything to be installed in bios. I’ve even tried using vanilla and safe mode (vanilla –v –x) but no luck on that either. Any suggestions? I’m trying to install Kalyway 10.5.1 on a completely different HDD btw, so there should be no Windows conflicts or anything. If you need me to clarify, don’t hesitate to ask.

HP Pavilion m4999t

Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT

Intel Core 2 Quad 2.66Ghz

Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme

ACPI x86 Motherboard

~~Paco

so, of course I find a solution right after I post my question....

apparenally since I have a Quad Core, I had to load darwin with cpus=1. But after I installed and rebooted, I get stuck at the "using 10485 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers" error. I'm wondering if it has to do with the drivers I installed at setup; i'm looking into it. Any suggestions?

~~Paco

Hey, I had the same problem where it would restart before it changes resolution, I tried cpus=1 (although my CPU is not quad core it has hyperthreading and gets picked up as having 2 cores) but that did not work, I also tried disabling hyperthreading in my bios, still the same thing. Any ideas? And I have never heard about that buffer error, good luck with fixing it ;)