Blinking Cursor of Doom

Zyphon

15 posts in this topic

Hey,

I'm another one of those people getting the blinking cursor on boot up. I'm using iATKOS_v1.or2 and I followed this guide: http://dailyapps.net/2008/03/hack-attack-d...-windows-vista/ I have tried installing it with both bootloaders on the dvd to no avail. (other than that, it's a vanilla install)

Something to note, my installs don't boot when I just leave the dvd in like some people, so I don't know if the problem really is my partition not being "blessed."

I read some stuff about Kiren's Boot CD being helpful, but I can't find it anywhere. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

what is your hardware specs? can your pc run pc_efi? if so i'll upload a script that might fix your problem. also did you install it on a guid or mbr partition. do you have a flash drive too?

Hey, sorry for taking so long to get back to you, it's exam time again :)

Anyway, my specs:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35

CPU: Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz 775

RAM: Kingston 4GB DDR2 800

HDD: 2 SATA Drives (1 Seagate 250GB, 1 Maxtor 150 GB), AHCI enabled (BIOS) installing to the Maxtor one

Graphics: EVGA 512-P3-N801-AR GeForce 8800GT 512MB

How can I find out if I can run pc_efi?

I'm 95% sure I'm using MBR since I have Vista installed as well and haven't explicitly set anything to GUID.

I have an external HD and a 4 gig pen drive if that's what you mean.

Thanks for the help!

Andy

Also, I tried the patched iATKOS (r3/equate's thing) and even though I have AHCI enabled, that one didn't even recognize my hard drives.

AHCI is probably your problem

switch to ide mode and also enable native mode for 2 ports.

and yes your mobo does support efi.

If you dont have any luck I suggest using kalyway, and keep your sata on ide otherwise you won't get anywhere.

I had tried native mode but it didn't work (actually, I had tried all 4 combinations of AHCI on/off and Native Mode on/off). I don't see an IDE mode in my bios, so I assume you're referring to physically switching my harddrive to an IDE cable. I guess I'll try that tomorrow. Any idea why r2 would recognize/install (albeit incorrectly) to my SATA drive, but r3/equate won't? R2 sees the drives if either native mode or AHCI is enabled...

Thanks for the reply.

Andy

ok great you have a pen drive. i've uploaded the patch. first rename your pen drive to Patch. it is case sensitive. then unzip the file i sent you into your pen drive. this is an important part, you have to check if the files(mbr folder and mbr.sh) are inside the Patch folder if not, create a folder named Patch(case sensitive again) and copy the 2 files into the folder. after that plug in your pen drive into the computer, reboot and boot into the dvd. after every thing is done. go to terminal and type:

cd ..

cd ..

cd ..

cd ..

cd ..

./Volumes/Patch/Patch/mbr.sh or /Volumes/Patch/Patch/mbr.sh (i forgot which to use)

then follow the instructions.

***this patch has the efi_pc bootloader and only works for mbr.

Patch.zip

I had tried native mode but it didn't work (actually, I had tried all 4 combinations of AHCI on/off and Native Mode on/off). I don't see an IDE mode in my bios, so I assume you're referring to physically switching my harddrive to an IDE cable. I guess I'll try that tomorrow. Any idea why r2 would recognize/install (albeit incorrectly) to my SATA drive, but r3/equate won't? R2 sees the drives if either native mode or AHCI is enabled...

Thanks for the reply.

Andy

No don't use ide infact turn off the ide controller, I meant ide mode but just turn off AHCI and switch to native mode. I assure you it will work. I hope your dvd writer is sata!

I have the same mobo as yours and kalyways is the only disk that installs or even boots. But it does install perfectly.

Thanks for the replies.

xfidelity, it wouldn't let me mount my pen drive without formatting it to HFS+, so I couldn't use your script. I tried putting it on my partition that was already formatted in HFS+, but it seems /Volumes/Patch/Patch is hardcoded into the script.

Ianxxx, unfortunately my DVD drive is not SATA, so I can't disable IDE. Right now, I'm downloading Kalyway, so when that's done I'll try it out and let you all know how it goes.

Thanks for the replies.

xfidelity, it wouldn't let me mount my pen drive without formatting it to HFS+, so I couldn't use your script. I tried putting it on my partition that was already formatted in HFS+, but it seems /Volumes/Patch/Patch is hardcoded into the script.

Ianxxx, unfortunately my DVD drive is not SATA, so I can't disable IDE. Right now, I'm downloading Kalyway, so when that's done I'll try it out and let you all know how it goes.

If you get further problems I really suggest losing the ide dvd. The jmicron controller is really bad.

I'm getting kernel panics now after installing Kalyway with the mbr bootloader and w/ and w/o the vanilla kernel. I think I read something about multiple cores screwing things up, so I'm going to search for that. I'll post what I find.

If anyone knows off hand what the problem might be based on my specs, let me know.

I'm getting kernel panics now after installing Kalyway with the mbr bootloader and w/ and w/o the vanilla kernel. I think I read something about multiple cores screwing things up, so I'm going to search for that. I'll post what I find.

If anyone knows off hand what the problem might be based on my specs, let me know.

It will be either your graphics card in which case booting with -x should show results, or the jmicron controller