Will not bootup without Install disk

phillipsart

8 posts in this topic

Hi, Loaded Kalyway 10.5.1 on my PC today.

I had no problems installing onto my pc, it's up and running fine.

Problem is, everytime I want to restart or start up I have to use the Kalyway disk to boot up. it will not bootup with out the disk in the drive. With out the disk in drive I get this message: "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key".

With the disk in the drive, it will bootup.

I am using a Asus P5B Deluxe Motherboard.

Intel core 2 duo processor

Sata Drives and Sata DVD Drive.

I installed using the MBR selection.

I am only installing Mac on my system, I don't have any other systems on my computer.

I tried reinstalling MBR of the Kalyway Disk, It did not work, I tried loading the other boot loader on the disk and it did not work as well.

I have searched the forums and can't find any solutions. Apart from the bootup problem, Leopard works great, I have sound and my network works.

Much easier to load Leopard and more support for my hardware, I been using Tiger for the past year on my PC. thought it was time to brave Leopard, Glad I did. But this bootup issue, bugs me. I don't want to have to use my disk to bootup all the time.

you need to make your HD active so you can boot from your HD, right now you have your DVD drive active as first boot. try to change it and see!

good luck

I tried reinstalling MBR of the Kalyway Disk, It did not work, I tried loading the other boot loader on the disk and it did not work as well.

I have searched the forums and can't find any solutions. Apart from the bootup problem, Leopard works great, I have sound and my network works.

Much easier to load Leopard and more support for my hardware, I been using Tiger for the past year on my PC. thought it was time to brave Leopard, Glad I did. But this bootup issue, bugs me. I don't want to have to use my disk to bootup all the time.

The reason you probably couldnt get MBR to work is because your disk was formatted as GUID.

As for the DVD only booting thing you might have to make your partition active, here try this out.. let us know if it works.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=22844

Thanks for the help, I will try your sugestions now. I do have the Hard drive set as the first boot device in the bios.

Another thing I noticed just now, is how slow Leopard is on my system compared to Tiger.

Also when ever I do a "Repair Disk Permision" in Disk Utility, I keep getting this:**********

2008-04-11 20:46:13 +1000: Disk Utility started.

2008-04-11 20:46:18 +1000: Repairing permissions for “Mac OS”

2008-04-11 20:47:15 +1000: Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/load_hdi" has been modified and will not be repaired.

2008-04-11 20:47:16 +1000: Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.

2008-04-11 20:47:16 +1000: Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Locum" has been modified and will not be repaired.

2008-04-11 20:47:16 +1000: Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Versions/A/Resources/runner" has been modified and will not be repaired.

2008-04-11 20:47:16 +1000: Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/readconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired.

2008-04-11 20:47:16 +1000: Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/writeconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired.

2008-04-11 20:47:17 +1000: Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/authopen" has been modified and will not be repaired.

2008-04-11 20:47:17 +1000: Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/OwnerGroupTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.

2008-04-11 20:47:19 +1000: Group differs on "Library/PreferencePanes", should be 0, group is 80.

2008-04-11 20:47:19 +1000: Permissions differ on "Library/PreferencePanes", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are drwxrwxr-x .

2008-04-11 20:47:29 +1000: Permissions differ on "usr/X11/lib/libX11.6.dylib", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .

2008-04-11 20:47:29 +1000: Permissions differ on "usr/X11/lib/libX11.6.2.0.dylib", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are -rwxr-xr-x .

2008-04-11 20:47:29 +1000: Permissions differ on "Library", should be drwxrwxr-t , they are drwxrwxr-x .

2008-04-11 20:47:30 +1000:

2008-04-11 20:47:30 +1000: Permissions repair complete

The reason you probably couldnt get MBR to work is because your disk was formatted as GUID.

As for the DVD only booting thing you might have to make your partition active, here try this out.. let us know if it works.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=22844

Hi, I tried the steps for setting the disk Active, but it did not work, Made it worse. Now I keep getting B0 Error, even the dvd disk will not bootup now, I took the drive out and put my tiger drive back in my computer.

I don't know if I done anything wrong or not, I followed the instructions. However I did notice that when I got to the part where you determine which partition for MacOsx need to be active by typing: P. to verify which partition is for MacOSX. I was not certain which partition to set active. All the partitions had zero in them in all the details. So I tried 1. saved that. and rebooted, than got the B0 Error.