Leopard Server?

indyslim

3 posts in this topic

Hi,

Planning to run a home server for serving up web pages, and files using a dyndns.org client. I also want to use it as a media server, and have RAID mirroring on it.

I was wondering if anyone has luck running Leopard server edition on their hackintoshes. Any performance issues? File serving, mail relay, WebDAV, dual ethernet ports working, RAID ? etc. If you do, can you kindly post your build details and any tips/tricks to get it working the way you want it to?

thanks

Indy

If you don't mind my asking, why exactly do you want to use a mac OS X server? I'd think that between Linux, the BSD's, and especially Solaris, the pc based unix server space is pretty well covered already.

one incredibly neat feature to me is ZFS. it's found originally in solaris, but now its been ported to freebsd and even mac os. if i were you i would definitely look into it, as an alternative to raid.

as for leopard server, sorry i don't know anything about it but i'd presume its probably installable if you patch it yourself like its done for the desktop version.

If you don't mind my asking, why exactly do you want to use a mac OS X server? I'd think that between Linux, the BSD's, and especially Solaris, the pc based unix server space is pretty well covered already.

one incredibly neat feature to me is ZFS. it's found originally in solaris, but now its been ported to freebsd and even mac os. if i were you i would definitely look into it, as an alternative to raid.

as for leopard server, sorry i don't know anything about it but i'd presume its probably installable if you patch it yourself like its done for the desktop version.

The only reason I would want to run Leopard Server is because, I come from the mac side of things. And, the linux distros are too intimidating to me. After reading a bit it seems that Leopard server offers the easiest turn key solution to run a iChat server (for extended family), VPN, and iCal server, Apache and may be a mail server. Besides, if I can mount a disk using AFP on my lap top, all my syncing will be taken care of. (I can do this currently with the client).

I was interested in the RAID part only as a mirroring backup for all my media files.

thanks for info regarding ZFS. will look it up.