Triple-Boot OSX on installed OS's

8 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have a Computer with 1 HDD that has 3 partitions which are: Vista, Ubuntu 7.10 and NTFS Data-Disk.

The 2 current Operating Systems dont want to be changed and I want to create a new partition, shrinking the Ubuntu and install Leopard whichout re-formating the whole drive.

I'v read on the web that most people has installed it from scratch and it's installed in a certain way, but how to install it just on the current structure and keeping the gurb boot-loader.

i know that the boot-loader can be changed afterwards to gurb which isn't a problem.

-Thankz

Singh

Hi,

I have a Computer with 1 HDD that has 3 partitions which are: Vista, Ubuntu 7.10 and NTFS Data-Disk.

The 2 current Operating Systems dont want to be changed and I want to create a new partition, shrinking the Ubuntu and install Leopard whichout re-formating the whole drive.

I'v read on the web that most people has installed it from scratch and it's installed in a certain way, but how to install it just on the current structure and keeping the gurb boot-loader.

i know that the boot-loader can be changed afterwards to gurb which isn't a problem.

-Thankz

Singh

The hardest part of what you propose is shrinking ubuntu -- can parted do that without a reinstall?

Then make your partition with parted, type af.

Boot OS X DVD, "erase" the partition you made, which formats it hfs+

Then install to that partition. If you install Leo, just don't install bootloader, which leaves grub.

Then modify your grub to boot OS X.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry606752

Thanks for the reply, I'll give it a shot once I get a copy.

I'm not sure about re-installing Ubuntu again, as long as I have the partition for it. I can easily installed 8.10 Herdy Heron once that's officially release.

I'll give it a shot and let you know how it goes.

-Singh

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to Triple-Boot from scratch since i had problems booting OSX on that other PC which is 8 years old :(

But I just got a new 160gb HDD and triple-booted it. I used GParted Ubuntu 8.04 beta live cd and partitioned it three ways, installed them all and used GRUB bootloader.

Final results, all working perfectly apart from the SATA RAID Controller which non of the three OS's pick-up, not even Vista when I installed the software that came with it.

Thank you for our help

-Singh

• 2 years later...

I have been able to triple boot snow leopard, win 7 and ubuntu. Grub doesnt load OSX proper though. But chameleon loads grub and we can access linux without any problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings Everyone!

I've made the mistake of installing ubuntu 10.4 on one drive without disconnecting the other drive that contains os x 10.5.

I can but into ubuntu but os x drive won't boot, it just hangs at 'verifying dmi pool data...'

Is there any easy way to fix that?

The machine is a one of the psystar boxes, about a year old :-(

thnx

• 2 weeks later...