Build queries

Acidic

16 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I'm hoping to buy these parts and build a computer thats compatible with Kalyway x86. What do you guys think of these parts?

Thanks, Aidan

P.S. can you guys please just tell me if this build looks good, if i should change anything etc. dont send me to another topic just answer my question here, please.

Unit Price Savings Total Price

Thermaltake Armor Series VA8003BWS Black Full Tower Case w/ 25CM Fan - Retail

$169.99 -$10.00 Instant $159.99

DFI INFINITY 975X LGA 775 Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

$99.99 -$10.00 Instant $89.99

EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

$339.99 $339.99

Thermaltake W0106RU Complies with ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS 12V version 700W Power Supply - Retail

$169.99 -$10.00 Instant $159.99

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600 - Retail

$249.99 $249.99

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400C4 - Retail

$79.00 -$10.00 Instant $138.00

HITACHI Deskstar P7K500 HDP725050GLA360 (0A35415) 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

$109.99 -$15.00 Instant $94.99

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

$69.99 -$5.00 Instant $64.99

LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model LH-20A1L-06 - Retail

$37.99 -$5.00 Instant $32.99

LITE-ON Black SATA Blu-ray DVD-ROM Drive Model DH-4O1S-08 - Retail

$139.99 $139.99 Subtotal: $1,470.91

I'm sure it's fine - I really don't like the glowing BS.

Asus P5W (975x)- Open box $99 - Is one of the best MBs for OSX

Fine - I really like the xfx 8600 gt - Tiger Direct $69

Fine

$249.99 $249.99

Perfect !

Fine - I think

Either/or is fine I like two 320 gb WD drives (raid0) on the P5W's "easy raid" It is faster than one drive.

I prefer Pioneer drives. They are what apple uses and they are 100% compatible.

Great CPU choice. The nvidia 8000 series driver is not included with kalyway, at least not the version i have, but i hear its out there and working fine. I think any burner will be fine as long as its SATA. My samsung SATA DVD burner worked great, and i've never had a complaint about anything samsung. just wondering one thing, why in the hell would you want a deathstar hard drive? are u just a big fan of the clicking noise? go with a seagate.

alright im gonna go with the asus p5w as the motherboard, more sata slots and everything. thx again guyshey guys, wats a compatible bluetooth and wireless internet adapter that will work for mac os x?? thx for the help

hey guys, ok i just got my system assembled completely, windows is working and everything. i can't boot from the mac os x kalyway install disc though i get /com.apple.boot.plist not found and obviously cant install kalyway. help is much appreciatedok

**i got past it i edited some of my bios settings, now installing :D

hey guys ok.... another problem, I can boot up on the kalyway disc finally :P ive formatted a seagate 500gb in mac os x journaled etc format. I go the the install screen, click customize select my drivers etc. Then I install, I wait about 10 mins or so and get the message UNKNOWN ERROR with a big yellow triangle. Not sure where to go from here, would REALLY like to make this rig i bought for 1500 work... ANY SUGGESTIONS? thanks in advance

ok.. I got it to completely install, I read in one of the topics that changing the name from Mac os x to Macosx would solve it. well suprisingly it did. only problem is i have no idea how to boot it. All the files are on the hard drive, i just cant seem to get the computer to boot from it, ive used the startup menu selector on the cd, it doesnt even appear, ive used acronis also to try and boot up. not sure what to do

***btw when i boot up on windows xp, and open acronis disk director, it gives me a warning message, about a unsupported hard drive etc etc. unsupported harddrive is the drive i installed mac os x on. Everything about the drive looks like it should work, it has a MBR boot partition and everything.

I think the problem is that the drive isnt being recongnized because i have windows xp on one drive and mac on another one. Ive been searching around and someone said to modify the boot.ini

" copy the chain0 file to the C:\ drive...

edit C:\boot.ini and add a line called

C:\CHAIN0="Mac OS X"

not sure what to do here either :P ANYBODY please help

in my bios settings... i can choose which drive to boot from first... sata or ide... i have a sata hd that has osx on it and a ide hd that i use for time machine... in my bios i set it to boot from sata first... if they are the same interface... try setting one to master and the other to slave... thats all i can think of if they are on different drives... im not to keen to the whole dual booting osx though i used to triple boot windows with different flavors of linux back in the day <shrugs> good luck...

as far as the renaming the partition... for kalyway (i only know about kalyway cause its the only distro ive used).. it errors out when u use spaces in ur disk name... so that post was 100% correct as you found out... good luck

well thanks very much for the response. ;) i'm gonna try messing around with the bios settings, kinda already have.

I kno there has to be a way to make it recognize the drive. i kno ppl have booted off two different drives before

ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR DUAL BOOTING PLEASE...... :(

what distro are you using? it sounds like your partition is not set as active. I know kalyway sets the partition to active for you, but some others dont. try using a win98 boot disk to get into fdisk. use that to set the OSX partition as active. I'm pretty sure each physical drive can have its own active partition, so if you have windows on a different HDD, you should be able to use bios to select boot drive. for example, i hit f8 at the bios splash screen to load the boot menu. hope some of that helps.

well i figured everything out. the problem, was completely because i didnt check over everything when i was installing in the kalyway disc. I formatted the hard drive with mbr etc, under the kalyway customize tab, i chose the guid bootloader, which was a big mistake :P . all i had to do was choose the mbr and it worked ;) .

my current problem is now my mobo. anytime i want to boot on the mac drive i have to edit my bios settings . And when i want to run xp, i have to default everything. kinda annoying

heres the settings im using, if anyone has any suggestions for the p5w dh, and NOT changing bios settings every time plz let me kno. thx

bios settings

-Go to IDE configuration and change the ide/sata mode to AHCI

-Enable "Execute Disable function"

-Turn off Speedstep Settings (unless you plan to use a hacked speedstep kernel)

-Change the Jmicron Controller to AHCI (only if you are using Jmicron,

otherwise, disable it)

-MicroCode Update: Enabled

-Max CPUID Limite: Enabled

-ACPI2 support : yes

-ACPI APIC: Enabled

-Suspend mode: S3