Best hardware to run OSX from scratch

6 posts in this topic

I'm looking at at building a PC or buying a Mac and it was just brought to my attention that I could build a PC to run OSX.  I don't have any hardware, i'm buying all new stuff, I just have no idea what to buy.  

I've looked through all the lists and it's giving me a headache as I've been out of the pc hardware loop for a few years now...

I'm looking the best/compatible hardware to build a my PC Mac out of.

Here's a ball park what I'd like:

- Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 2.4GHz

- graphics? (512 MB, dual-out dvi)

- memory: 2 to 4 GB

- mobo? (something that works, has sound and lan, maybe wireless)

My hope is to buy the right parts to minimize hacking and patching because that's something I'm not familiar with. 

Suggestions?  Thanks for your help!

The Baron:

I hear ya about just buying a Mac. I love my MacBook, but for a desktop it just doesn't seem like you get much bang for your buck with the apple hardware. To spend $1600 (CDN) on an iMac just feels like I'm being taken for a ride when I look at what I can buy for $1600 in a PC.

I still plan on using Windows so I'd like a good windows machine as well. The iMac I'm looking at doesn't seem like it would make for a very good windows machine. :D

And ya, it's the hacking and patching that scares me which is why I'd like the most compatible hardware possible. :)

Thanks!

I'm looking at at building a PC or buying a Mac and it was just brought to my attention that I could build a PC to run OSX. I don't have any hardware, i'm buying all new stuff, I just have no idea what to buy.

I've looked through all the lists and it's giving me a headache as I've been out of the pc hardware loop for a few years now...

I'm looking the best/compatible hardware to build a my PC Mac out of.

Here's a ball park what I'd like:

- Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 2.4GHz

- graphics? (512 MB, dual-out dvi)

- memory: 2 to 4 GB

- mobo? (something that works, has sound and lan, maybe wireless)

My hope is to buy the right parts to minimize hacking and patching because that's something I'm not familiar with.

Suggestions? Thanks for your help!

I know exactly what you mean. I am building a new PC and dont know what to even start with. There is just way to much to choose from. If anyone has any recommendation I also would love to hear them. I know buying a MAC is always the best bet, but I have never owned a MAC and dishing out 2k just to try something is just wastful. Once I have a grip on the MAC OS I will definetly break down and buy one. But building a Hack-n-tosh for a few months will help out a ton. Thanks!

CODEBLUE2K:

I can tell you - you have nothing to worry about other than how to use the "command" and "option" keys on the keyboard. Everything else on a mac ends up being simpler than you'd think it is. I took the plunge with a MacBook because what Apple offered in terms of $$ and hardware made sense. I'm looking to do with because what Apple offers for desktop in terms of $$ and hardware isn't so great. :)