Sound Blaster Extigy

Joshuaxx

5 posts in this topic

Happy to say that I'm up and running pretty well on my Hack. I got audio and LAN working today, with the help of this forum. On the plus side, now that I have LAN, Final Cut Studio and Time Machine seem to be working fine - not so before. I'm also typing this in Safari. The network also picked up my Windows machines and Linux media servers without effort.

Audio is a problem, though. I searched for USB sound solutions and found a reference to the Creative Extigy working with the Hack. I remembered I had one lying around and plugged it in. The Hack saw it right away and the sound was really good - very clean. On reboot, though (after I installed th Linksys USB200M external LAN device) the audio is now very soft. Can't seem to bring it up anywhere - volume is maxed out. I unplugged the Linksys, but still no joy.

Any ideas?

• 3 months later...

Sometimes my sound on my extigy will be very quiet and once i turn my dial on my G15 up a bit then it gets very loud.

Only problem is i have stereo sound only and I can't figure out how to get the surround / 5.1 to output

Any ideas or do you know of any drivers?

Thanks

• 7 months later...
Sometimes my sound on my extigy will be very quiet and once i turn my dial on my G15 up a bit then it gets very loud.

Only problem is i have stereo sound only and I can't figure out how to get the surround / 5.1 to output

Any ideas or do you know of any drivers?

Thanks

if your sound is very quiet... all you have to do is unplug the power from ur extigy (while its on..) count to 15 or so.. and when u plug it in.. you'll see all the lights flash on your extigy.. u should be good to go from tehre on out...

i know this is late.. but maybe ur still trying lol.

• 5 months later...
if your sound is very quiet... all you have to do is unplug the power from ur extigy (while its on..) count to 15 or so.. and when u plug it in.. you'll see all the lights flash on your extigy.. u should be good to go from tehre on out...

i know this is late.. but maybe ur still trying lol.

wow... i've been so annoyed with extigy being so low, and i could have sworn that i did what u suggested to do here. i tried it, though, and it worked perfectly afterward. thanks a lot!

• 1 year later...

Hi, sorry to necro this thread, but I have a question.

I have a hackintosh built out of an Asus P7H55-M motherboard, a Core i3-540 CPU, 4GB of RAM and an NVidia GeForce 210 card. So far, everything's working okay, except the onboard core video which I intend to look into the day I buy a second monitor. It runs Mac OS X 10.6 in 64-bit mode.

Now, I would like to provide it with a SoundBlaster Extigy for secondary sound output, since the onboard SBLive I had in it had somehow bit the dust. I happen to have one lying around that was used with a laptop I've since retired. Problem is, when I plug it into the box before powering the box up, it freezes up at the startup screen (i.e. the login screen appears, but nothing's clickable unless I unplug the Extigy). If I unplug it or leave the device powered off, it will not be usable but leaves behind some entries in the log saying that it's using an unsupported format type, invalid format and bad busy count.

The only two solutions I've found so far is either roll back the driver to 10.5.6 which breaks 64-bit boot (which I do not want to lose because I'm also running some 64-bit guest OSes in VirtualBox), or pay for a third party driver (which I'm reluctant to do because the developer wants my MAC address, which can potentially ID me as a hackintosh user (and who knows what will happen if they find out). Plus, this will require me to wait for my budget to stabilize).

So I'm wondering, is there any other option out there for me? Or am I stuck between taking the risk and paying for the driver or losing 64-bit support?