Kalaway install error b0 need help

Methose

10 posts in this topic

ok, so I am very new to this (first time trying anything like this, so please be patient)

I am trying to install Kalaway 10.5.1 on the following system:

Motherboard: Gigabyte Ultra Durable 2 GA-EX38-DS4 LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX

Processor: Intel Q9450 Quad Core 2.66 Ghz

RAM: 2x Patriot Viper 4GB(2x2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM 800Mhz 4-4-4-12

HD(s): 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 750GB 7200 RPM SATA

Optical Drive: ASUS 20X DVDR with LightScribe SATA

Video card: SAPPHIRE Ultimate Edition Radeon HD 3850 512MB 256-bit PCI-E 2.0 x16

Case: Antec P182

PSU: Corsair 620W

I have Vista Ultimate 64 on one drive in SATA port 1, partitioned into a 100GB and the remainder in another partition on the same disk.

I installed OS X on the disk in SATA port 0 by using the following steps:

1. formated the disk using Vista's install disk and partitioned it to one ~700GB NTFS partition.

2. booted the machine with the Kalaway 10.5.1 dvd in the drive and attempted to walk though the install after using the disk utility (on Kalaway dvd) to format the disk. [at this point I will meantion that I found it odd that the disk is only seen as a 128GB drive, and I can only make a 128GB partition).

3. I partitioned the drive to the default file system that the installation chose.

4. the machine rebooted itself at the end of the installation (which appeared normal and successful).

5. when it booted back up it came up with an error that said: error b0

6. I can boot to some sort of an OS (I'm guessing a bootable version of the OS that come in the Kalaway CD), but if the dvd is not in the drive, it gives the error b0 message

Can anyone please help me out with some suggestions?

I have made sure thatthe partition is set to Active by using the fdisk util, but this did not resolvethe problem

Methose, boot to the dvd

goto diskutil from menu, right click on disk which you want to partition, click on partition

now click on options button, select format as GUID

Once disk is formatted as GUID

Now before installing, click customise

Do not install any kexts

Only Vanilla kernel + the patch

Select boot GUID not MBR

Only the above selected. After install reboot and all should be ok

the b0 error is caused when you selected GUID install in the customise section but the drive is not formatted as a GUID partition table, follow my instructions up top and you'll be fine, please backup important files before mucking around

Josh

ok, so I am very new to this (first time trying anything like this, so please be patient)

I am trying to install Kalaway 10.5.1 on the following system:

Motherboard: Gigabyte Ultra Durable 2 GA-EX38-DS4 LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX

Processor: Intel Q9450 Quad Core 2.66 Ghz

RAM: 2x Patriot Viper 4GB(2x2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM 800Mhz 4-4-4-12

HD(s): 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 750GB 7200 RPM SATA

Optical Drive: ASUS 20X DVDR with LightScribe SATA

Video card: SAPPHIRE Ultimate Edition Radeon HD 3850 512MB 256-bit PCI-E 2.0 x16

Case: Antec P182

PSU: Corsair 620W

I have Vista Ultimate 64 on one drive in SATA port 1, partitioned into a 100GB and the remainder in another partition on the same disk.

I installed OS X on the disk in SATA port 0 by using the following steps:

1. formated the disk using Vista's install disk and partitioned it to one ~700GB NTFS partition.

2. booted the machine with the Kalaway 10.5.1 dvd in the drive and attempted to walk though the install after using the disk utility (on Kalaway dvd) to format the disk. [at this point I will meantion that I found it odd that the disk is only seen as a 128GB drive, and I can only make a 128GB partition).

3. I partitioned the drive to the default file system that the installation chose.

4. the machine rebooted itself at the end of the installation (which appeared normal and successful).

5. when it booted back up it came up with an error that said: error b0

6. I can boot to some sort of an OS (I'm guessing a bootable version of the OS that come in the Kalaway CD), but if the dvd is not in the drive, it gives the error b0 message

Can anyone please help me out with some suggestions?

I have made sure thatthe partition is set to Active by using the fdisk util, but this did not resolvethe problem

sorry to be such a nub, but what is this patch you speak of :blink:

I see in the customise list the Vanilla Kernal but don't see anything labled as patch, is this the sse2_System??

I also have selected to boot_efi_guid

well, no time to wait for reply, trying it out: both items under Vanilla Kernal selected, boot_efi_guid selected, nothing else (no SSE2_System).maybe it'll work.. I'll keep wiggling the mouse too, I heard that suggestion from someone as well ;)

holy smokes that seems to have done it atlee!! thanks so much!

so it boots up fine (no disk) but still doesn't see my hard drives correctly. In the disk util it sees the windows HD and it's two partitions, one as a 100GB and the other as a 600GB. But on the drive I installed OS X it sees the two partitions that I made: 64GB (partition I installed the OS on), and another 63.44GB partition (a second partition I created at the install time).

this may be just my lack of knowledge for a Mac OS, but how can I partition and format the rest of that HD.

It lists the partitions on the OS X drive as disck0s2 and disk0s3 (no disk0s1??)

so I'm sure I have some unalocated space around there somewhere ;)

did I install correctly if so, what can I do to get the rest of the disk space?

holy smokes that seems to have done it atlee!! thanks so much!

so it boots up fine (no disk) but still doesn't see my hard drives correctly. In the disk util it sees the windows HD and it's two partitions, one as a 100GB and the other as a 600GB. But on the drive I installed OS X it sees the two partitions that I made: 64GB (partition I installed the OS on), and another 63.44GB partition (a second partition I created at the install time).

this may be just my lack of knowledge for a Mac OS, but how can I partition and format the rest of that HD.

It lists the partitions on the OS X drive as disck0s2 and disk0s3 (no disk0s1??)

so I'm sure I have some unalocated space around there somewhere :(

did I install correctly if so, what can I do to get the rest of the disk space?

In your bios select ide mode and if it says use some ports as native apply that too. You might find it takes twenty mins max to install not hours, and you might see the rest of your drives too

boot from the dvd and press f8. then type -s

when it has loaded type.

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

flag 1 (or whatever your partition number is)

write

update

quit

reboot

then boot from your hardrive

if it just keeps restarting press f8 and type cpus=1

worked for me

oh yeah and make sure you format as Master Boot Record (MBR)

In your bios select ide mode and if it says use some ports as native apply that too. You might find it takes twenty mins max to install not hours, and you might see the rest of your drives too

so you're suggesting a reinstall? I'nm a little scared to try that now that I am able to boot to OS X :(

And you say select IDE mode where in my bios? even though I have no IDE drives at all?

boot from the dvd and press f8. then type -s

when it has loaded type.

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

flag 1 (or whatever your partition number is)

write

update

quit

reboot

then boot from your hardrive

if it just keeps restarting press f8 and type cpus=1

worked for me

oh yeah and make sure you format as Master Boot Record (MBR)

I tried that and it didn't work for me ouyllik93. so I reinstalled with the settings that atlee suggested and that worked, except for the hard drive partitioning and their size.

friggin worked like a charm, bout 20 mins too :blink:

so is that setting something I should set back to what it was before? (the native IDE for ports 0-3)