How to install Darwing in its own partition?

4 posts in this topic

I've tried to install Iatkos, kalway and Leo4all in a SATA2 hard disk partitioned using MBR. The problem is that they don't install the Darwing boot loader in the same partition MacOS is installed.

I have 3 primary partitions: Windows 2000, XP, and MacOS and a extended one: Ubuntu Linux + swap. I'd like to know if there is a way to install Darwing in the third partition (rdisk2). because Windows 2000, XP and Ubuntu (grub) use their own boot loader, which are called by a Boot manager installed in the MBR (GAG, works with MacOS for sure).

This is what I've tried and it does NOT work:

A) Using the MacOS terminal console.

- Type: "diskutil unmount /Volumes/Leopard"

(exchange "Leopard" for the correct name of your Leopard partition!)

- Type: "dd if=/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsX bs=512 count=1"

(exchange "rdiskXsX" for your correct disk and partition number!)

- Type: "startupfiletool /dev/rdiskXsX /usr/standalone/i386/boot"

(exchange "rdiskXsX" for your correct disk and partition number!)

- Type: "sudo bless -device /dev/diskXsX -setBoot -verbose"

(exchange "diskXsX" for your correct disk and partition number!)

- Type: "diskutil mount /dev/diskXsX"

(exchange "diskXsX" for your correct disk and partition number!)

- Type: "bless -mount /Volumes/Leopard -setBoot -verbose"

(exchange "Leopard" for the correct name of your Leopard partition!)

-------------------

B) Using Grub (fresh install in the MacOS partition and also tried with the Ubuntu one)

If you already have Grub working. Add this section to your /boot/grub/grub.conf (or /boot/grub/menu.lst) :

title MacOSX

root (hd0,1)

chainloader --force +1

I had to put this in my menu.lst file to get things working :

title OSX_X86

rootnoverify (hd0,2)

makeactive

chainloader +1

If you have an "HFS+ partition error", copy all the files from /usr/standalone/i386 of the Darwin CD to a partition in NTFS, FAT or ext but not hfs on your hard disk, and put this in menu.lst :

title OSX_X86

rootnoverify (hd0,2) <- replace hd0,2 by the partition where you have copied chainloader files.

makeactive

chainloader /chain0

-----------------------

Is it really so difficult to have Darwing working in its own partition? I think that's how it should be installed by default. Thank you.

hello aiden

i have just posted another topic about darwin in the same forum, I type very slowly - must have been in the middle of it when you posted.

I am having problems with darwin too. I have been reading up on it, excuse my ignorance but I had assumed it was in the osx partition. So it must just be the config files for it e.g com.apple.Boot.plist

I was running osx with xp & kubuntu, using grub to boot. I imaged my osx install to a spare hfs+ partition which I tweaked updated etc using darwin to boot it. But when I restored the fully tweaked image back to my original osx partition I must have messed something up as it wont boot either osx partition now.

looks like you know a lot more about it than me, im just a newbie (with a lot of reading to do). :P

Since you both use Linux, the easiest solution is to use grub to boot OS X.

You can just put the needed file in you Linux partition.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=606752

many thanks, wmarsh, you saved me many hours of experimentation and probably a headache. you are ideed a sage

That is by far the most helpfull reply I have had so far to any of my posts. :censored2:

I have seen pc_efi mentioned in passing, but it seems to me like an essential bit of kit. surprised I havent seen it mentioned in any newbie guides.