Leo4All works, but would like sound

Matthew N

19 posts in this topic

Hello all! Let me tell you, this forum has been most helpful! But for some reason the search function is not working for me, so I thought I would post.

For starters, Im on an Inspiron 9300, 512 megs (soon to be upgraded to 2gigs, once it arrives), IDE HDD, NVidia graphics, 1.8gig Intel proc.

Anyways... so I managed to get Kalyway to boot 1 and 1 time only, and it had sound! I was excited, but as soon as I rebooted, I got the b0 error, and could never get it back. So I went to Leo4All, and I can install this with no problem! Unfortunately, it is without sound...

So my proposal is to get the sound drivers off the Kalyway cd, and inject them in the Leo4All cd... but unfortunately I have no clue how to do that, hence why I am posting here.

And again, sorry if this is a repost, I tried looking, but the forum search isnt functioning for me for some reason...

Thanks!

What sound chipset do you have?

Hmm...you think I would have thought to include the audio specs in an audio question... hah....

It looks as though its going to be a SIGMATEL STAC 975X AC97

does that help a little? lol

AC97 drivers should work for you.to extract the drivers, mount or load Kalway's disc and run Pacifist.

select and right click the driver (AppleAC97Audio.kext),

choose 'Extract to Custom Location"

select "{yourdrive}/System/Library/Extension/

remove "Extension.mkext"

to be safe repair permission with diskutil.

reboot..

to be even safer .. press F8 and add " -f " to you boot flag.

cheers,

this forum is so helpful.. so many replies while I typed. lol

AC97 drivers should work for you.to extract the drivers, mount or load Kalway's disc and run Pacifist.select and right click the driver (AppleAC97Audio.kext), choose 'Extract to Custom Location" select "{yourdrive}/System/Library/Extension/remove "Extension.mkext"to be save repair permission with diskutil.reboot.. to be even safer .. press F8 and add " -f " to you boot flag.cheers,this forum is so helpful.. so amny replies while I typed. lolthis forum is so helpful.. so amny replies while I typed. lol

AppleHDAudio.kext should work with this chipset./

AppleHDAudio.kext should work with this chipset./

You all are fantastic! I cant even type replys fast enough to keep up with the responses! I'm going to try this when I get home tonight, and I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again to all of you... and thanks for sending me a quick walkthrough Skyper!

Its me again, and unfortunate to say, attempts were made, to no avail.

I started with your advice Skyper: I firstcopied the AppleHDA.kext file into the /System/Library/Extensions folder and replaced the existing file. I opened Terminal, and typed in sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache, it asked for a password (i typed in my password it asked for when I set up the OS) and then it said that it couldnt find the file (even browsing around in the folder, I didnt originally see the file there either). So this may be where I am failing with your suggestion, but I decided to venture on. Then I typed sudo kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions, and then just gave me another prompt, so I assumed it did whatever it was supposed to do. I ran the DiskUtility "Repair Disk Permissions" and rebooted. No errors, but no sound... so Im not sure if anything really happened. Now after looking what sudo is... should I have just left the password blank?

Anyways... the next suggestion I attempted was yours ppcmmac: After figuring out what the heck Pacifist was, I downloaded it, and installed it. I popped in the Kalyway cd and tried to use the program to find the AppleAC97Audio.kext file... but I couldn't find it! So I just browsed to the cd, and it wasn't packaged at all! It was just sitting in a folder... so I copied it and pasted it into the /System/Library/Extensions . I couldnt find the Extension.mkext file in that directory, but I did find it in the Library Directory...so I assumed you were talking about that one, and trashed the file. Ran repair disk permissions, rebooted and even used -f as a switch when restarting. Now I get an error saying "The System extension "/System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or cantact the products vendor for an update." And then I get the same error right after that for /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleAC97AudioIntellCH.kext .

At any rate. I've never really fiddled with a mac, so it seems to me that the kext files are the drivers, and all you have to do is drop them in the extensions folder? it seems to me there are files that cache the config, and those are the files Im deleteing? Im new to this, but I usually pick things up pretty quick...or at least try like hell. Is there something I need to do to initialize the file? Or just dragging and dropping the file in the the improper way to install?

Any more help would be greatly appreciate guys. OHH and on a side note, it looks as though I need to get my network card working as well! HA... i didnt even check it out until today. I assume its essentially the same process that we are going through? Where would I get the kext file for a Intel Pro/Wireless 2200BG adapter? Or a Broadcom 44x 10/100 Integrated Controller?

So... there you have it... its lengthy...again you guys are the best.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...hl=useful+files

Look here and try any of the AC97 kexts listed. Download program called Kext Helper and install then from there.good luck.

Thats quite the compilation of kext files. Unfortunately more than half of them are broken. I downloaded what I could... is there a repository for all these files somewhere? Might be a good idea to invent one! Easy searchable database of kext files! :D

Any other locations like these that I can pull some more AC97 audio kext files from?

Ill try these tonight and see if they work. Thanks, as always, you manage to find another path through the forest :P

Thats quite the compilation of kext files. Unfortunately more than half of them are broken. I downloaded what I could... is there a repository for all these files somewhere? Might be a good idea to invent one! Easy searchable database of kext files! :)Any other locations like these that I can pull some more AC97 audio kext files from?Ill try these tonight and see if they work. Thanks, as always, you manage to find another path through the forest :D

you are in for a trip.. it is called an Hackintosh... everything you need, you hack. then again that the fun isn't it? lol.

kext are drivers bundles, when you copy a Kext into the extension folder, it will break the permission and owner info, so you need to fix it, either manually or by repair permission in Diskutil or terminal.

the error means that either the file is broken or the permission is broken.

another way to install Kext if you don't like fiddling with UNIX commands is to use Kext help.. google it, it will install and fix the permission for you.

Hope this helps.

Sorry, Skyper already mentioned Kext helper..cheers,

you are in for a trip.. it is called an Hackintosh... everything you need, you hack. then again that the fun isn't it? lol.

kext are drivers bundles, when you copy a Kext into the extension folder, it will break the permission and owner info, so you need to fix it, either manually or by repair permission in Diskutil or terminal.

the error means that either the file is broken or the permission is broken.

another way to install Kext if you don't like fiddling with UNIX commands is to use Kext help.. google it, it will install and fix the permission for you.

Hope this helps.

Sorry, Skyper already mentioned Kext helper..cheers,

No worries! The explination actually helps me understand things a lot better. As far as the hacking... well... you make a valid point :D I know enough to break stuff and ask questions right now. Hopefully I'll be able to figure out some of the stuff on my own, I just dont want to be running to you all every time I come across a problem. As far as hacking goes... Im still learning.

whyh not run windows in parallels with mac that way if you want music use windows.
The reason I am now attempting Mac is because we just recently started a garage band, and I have been editing music a lot lately. I have heard nothing but good things about the audio programs on a Mac, and that is the main reason why I am trying to get this to work. It would defeat the entire purpose if I ran with your suggestion I would imagine... and anyways... this is more fun Right now I have 2 seperate hard drives, one with mac, and one with windows. Any time I try and install Leo4all on a Fat32 format, the drive isnt detectable... but right now Im more concentrating on getting a fully operational version working first. Once I have that, then I am going to attempt the more complicated stuff, like dual booting and what not.Speaking of which, I shouldnt have any problem booting to a USB external HDD right? I was thinking of maybe going that route as well... just another option I was looking to explore...
But doesn't parallels emulate the drivers...therefore you need it working first....correct me if im wrong
I would imagine you are correct. If Mac doesnt have an out source, then any application that has sound isnt going to have sound either...that would include parallels.Same thing as ripping out your speakers.... SURE it may be playing music... but your never gonna know :)