Intel Pro MT 1000 Desktop Help

thedamner

6 posts in this topic

I hope this topic isn't viewed as redundant, I have spent a good deal of time reading the posts regarding this network card but haven't yet seen any solution. I also haven't yet seen anyone mention the topics I am going to raise, so please bear with me and hopefully this helps someone working on Dev.

I have a Dell GX270, NVInject help me use the dual head NVIDIA graphics card I added to the system without issue. However the onboard Intel Pro 1000 MT card is not working correctly. To describe the symptoms with the Vannilla kernel accurately:

Card appears in System Preferences / Network, however the status of the card is "Cable Unplugged" which is not true. Regardless of any settings via the GUI the status of the card never changes/improves.

Being a true Unix guy the very first thing I do is jump to the Terminal and attempt to configure the NIC manually. Using ifconfig, route, and manually editing the /etc/resolv.conf file I am able, in fact, to get the network working from the shell.

To clarify working: I can ping IP addresses only, using name resolution for the ping command is not working. However, using nslookup I can resolve www.google.com or any other website correctly. I am also able to ssh into remote systems, and can even scp files. But, and this is a big one. Safari tells me "your computer isn't connected to the Internet", and Firefox (installed via transfering files over with SCP). Simply doesn't see any websites.

So, I am hoping that this info can help spark a useful response from an OSX expert or a Dev person. I would assume if anyone knows how to force/fake/break/hack the NIC into thinking its plugged in, or to simply force a DNS refresh in the chain (whatever the ping command is querying), I might have a chance of getting this working. Otherwise I'll just have to throw in another NIC.

Lastly. I've attached copies of my IOReg, Dmesg, and an example of my Ifconfig (with all relevant IPs *.*.*.* out) of course (that means don't come telling me that must be my problem).

Cheers,

damner

p.s. for those curious to replicate: Open Terminal, 'sudo ifconfig interface_name ip_addy netmask some_netmask; sudo route add default gateway_addy' and then edit your '/etc/resolv.conf' with something like 'nameserver address'.

dmesg.txt

ifconfig.txt

ioreg.txt

Same problem here. It says unplugged, but I can occasionally get it to say plugged-in. When I do get sites to load, it happens slowly, and then I get a kernel panic.

IIRC the ionetworking kext from 10.4.7 might have been how I got it to say plugged-in. I just checked, and setting cpus=1 on boot actually had it saying "plugged in" from the beginning.

Here's my thread (it turned out I had the MT as well)-

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=79884

Thanks for confirming the problem with the vanilla kernel.

Have you tried using a patched kernel to see if it magically works? I'm using vanilla kernel in 10.5 and have tested 10.5.2 as well, both have the same issue. I've tried about 4 different cards, and the all have the same "Cable disconnected" issue. Tried a 3com 3c905-TX, Intel PRO/1000 MT single port and dual port server adapters, and an Intel PRO/1000 MT desktop adapter. All are recognized but say they are disconnected.

I'll try and drop in a patched kernel and see if it makes any difference.

I have not tried a patched kernel. I have tried every version of IONetworkingFamily.kext I can possibly get my hands on and to date have seen no differences. No different a result when making changes to any of the Info.plist files to add the correct device and vendor id's either.

At this point I've simply given up and threw in a spare Dell (Intel) 100TX card I had laying around, which the OS does recognize and allow me to use without issue, it even see's it plugged in. So until I hear otherwise I think I've offered up as much help as I can.

Cheers,

damner

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...