How to fix boot loader on my hackintosh after a time machine restore?

thepunkerguy

4 posts in this topic

Alright, well I was playing with some kexts the other day and ended up being stuck at a mac load screen with a slashed out circle through it. So from there I did a time machine restore which I had on my USB hard drive. The restore went all the way through, but when it was done and the computer restarted, all I get left with is a blinky cursor. I am guessing this means the boot loader is goobered up. I guess time machine doesn't restore that correctly for hackintosh's?

I used the Kalyway Leopard cd to install OSX using a GUID and the EFI boot loader, So i guess the EFI boot loader needs to be reloaded some how? How can I easily do this and get back into my restored OSX installation?? Detailed instructions on what to do / type would be great because I am still learning OSX and am not sure what most of the terminal commands do! Thanks guys!! I really want to get back into this thing!!

- Mike

You need to install the efi bootloader again. Try this script on this page:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry614798

With the motherboard I have (BADAXE2) for GUID, I need to insall version7, then version8

If you have that board use my versin of his script here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...6014&st=780

Also, for these forums add a signature with info about what computer you are trying to install on, so it's easier to help you. Threads without that needed info often get ignored.

Chris

Alright, well I was playing with some kexts the other day and ended up being stuck at a mac load screen with a slashed out circle through it. So from there I did a time machine restore which I had on my USB hard drive. The restore went all the way through, but when it was done and the computer restarted, all I get left with is a blinky cursor. I am guessing this means the boot loader is goobered up. I guess time machine doesn't restore that correctly for hackintosh's?

I used the Kalyway Leopard cd to install OSX using a GUID and the EFI boot loader, So i guess the EFI boot loader needs to be reloaded some how? How can I easily do this and get back into my restored OSX installation?? Detailed instructions on what to do / type would be great because I am still learning OSX and am not sure what most of the terminal commands do! Thanks guys!! I really want to get back into this thing!!

- Mike

Sorry, I will create the sig now! I have the Gigabyte GA=P35-DS3L motherboard and before I killed the OS it was running whatever version of EFI boot loader (GUID) that came with the Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD. I then updated the OS to 10.5.2 using the Kaly combo update.. What version does the Kaly DVD come with?- MikeSig Updated :-)- MikeAlright, I updated my sig with full system specs!

• 10 months later...
You need to install the efi bootloader again. Try this script on this page:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry614798

I am very grateful for your post. It fixed my problem perfectly... even after my running an update from 10.5.2 to 10.5.6 ... then backing up with time machine... then botching my install... restoring with time machine... and using this script to fix... i am typing these words about ten minutes after using that script

thank you thank you thank you

pete