zephyroth 10.5.2 rev.1 boot problem...HELP!

anbu1

21 posts in this topic

photo-56.jpg

^^^ i get this after like a min. into booting then it does nothing it never boots just does ...nothing yes i've tried the -v -f stuff but it doesnt work either i installed everything ok (used MBR bootloader ) PLEASE HELP ME ive looked everywere for this kind of problem and i did find a couple threads but nobody had replied to them... :angry2: oh and the scroll wheel thing keeps moving ut it never boots -_-

my specs.

Acer Aspire 5050

AMD Turion64 mobile technology

ATI X1100

2GB of RAM

80GB HDD

150GB external HDDanyone?

I'm not sure how much I can help you since you are using an external hard drive, but here's what I did with an internal hard drive: I had to set the CD/DVD drive on the same IDE and/or SATA channel as the hard drive. It took a little while to figure out from trial and error and checking the BIOS, but I eventually got it in the same channel with the CD/DVD drive as slave and HDD as master. Again, I'm not really sure how it could apply to you, but it took me a while to even find that answer so I thought that I'd share it.

I'm not sure how much I can help you since you are using an external hard drive, but here's what I did with an internal hard drive: I had to set the CD/DVD drive on the same IDE and/or SATA channel as the hard drive. It took a little while to figure out from trial and error and checking the BIOS, but I eventually got it in the same channel with the CD/DVD drive as slave and HDD as master. Again, I'm not really sure how it could apply to you, but it took me a while to even find that answer so I thought that I'd share it.

thanks but i have leopard installed on my internal hard drive not on my external

does anyone know how to put this into steps i can follow?

try other methods...wont kill ya...i tried at least 30 times on one dvd to get it right..welcome to the forums! :)

thanks i am currently trying a new specialized Acer aspire 5050 guide so far the terminal in the DVD is doing good with no errors :P hope it works!!!

For both HDD and DVD drive, are they SATA or IDE?EDIT: Scratch that, you posted while I was typing mine. Hope it works out for you!

:) it didnt work its still gives me the same thing (look at pic above)

Well, I'll see if what I did can help you. Here's my rough sketch:

1.) When you boot, press whatever you need to to get into the BIOS (Probably 'Del' or 'F2') and snoop around in there for something that would show some info on hard drives, optical drives, and what IDE and/or SATA port they are in. I have never even seen the menu on an Acer BIOS, but in general it should be in "standard BIOS features" rather than the "advanced" ones. It might label it as Primary Master and Primary Slave or Secondary Master and Secondary Slave. Mine starts at IDE channel 0 Master....Slave...and counts up from there.

2.)If they are both on the same "channel" set as master and slave, then the rest of this probably won't apply to you. Boot with just the option of -v and post what it says. Now if they aren't, then the real fun part will begin.

3.) Unplug your computer from the wall and open up the left side pannel (if you were looking at it from the front). First: touch something metal! Static electricity=bad. If you see a lot of ribbon cable, then you have IDE HDD and CD drives. If not, then you probably have SATA or regular ATA. I'm not sure exactly how IDE cables work, but this should help: http://freepctech.com/pc/001/installing_ide_devices.shtml and if that doesn't make sense, then I can try to make sense of it for you (just imagine one of the HDDs as your CD drive). If you're using SATA stuff, then look for a cable coming from the HDD to the Motherboard and some similar looking connectors (Kind of a sideways "L" in the midle), where you will probably find the CD/DVD drive plugged into. Move one of the connectors on the mobo to a similar looking one, and pray that it works.

4.)Boot up and check the BIOS to see if they are on the same "channel", and I'm not sure how important the slave/master thing is, but it worked for me with the HDD as the master, and I didn't try it as the slave. If they are not, then repeat step 3. (it took me 4 times)

5.) If it still doesn't work, then go back to step 2 and post the last thing it says.

I can break it down to more detail, but for now I have to go to sleep. I hope this helps, because it worked for me!

Well, I'll see if what I did can help you. Here's my rough sketch:1.) When you boot, press whatever you need to to get into the BIOS (Probably 'Del' or 'F2') and snoop around in there for something that would show some info on hard drives, optical drives, and what IDE and/or SATA port they are in. I have never even seen the menu on an Acer BIOS, but in general it should be in "standard BIOS features" rather than the "advanced" ones. It might label it as Primary Master and Primary Slave or Secondary Master and Secondary Slave. Mine starts at IDE channel 0 Master....Slave...and counts up from there.2.)If they are both on the same "channel" set as master and slave, then the rest of this probably won't apply to you. Boot with just the option of -v and post what it says. Now if they aren't, then the real fun part will begin.3.) Unplug your computer from the wall and open up the left side pannel (if you were looking at it from the front). First: touch something metal! Static electricity=bad. If you see a lot of ribbon cable, then you have IDE HDD and CD drives. If not, then you probably have SATA or regular ATA. I'm not sure exactly how IDE cables work, but this should help: http://freepctech.com/pc/001/installing_ide_devices.shtml and if that doesn't make sense, then I can try to make sense of it for you (just imagine one of the HDDs as your CD drive). If you're using SATA stuff, then look for a cable coming from the HDD to the Motherboard and some similar looking connectors (Kind of a sideways "L" in the midle), where you will probably find the CD/DVD drive plugged into. Move one of the connectors on the mobo to a similar looking one, and pray that it works. 4.)Boot up and check the BIOS to see if they are on the same "channel", and I'm not sure how important the slave/master thing is, but it worked for me with the HDD as the master, and I didn't try it as the slave. If they are not, then repeat step 3. (it took me 4 times)5.) If it still doesn't work, then go back to step 2 and post the last thing it says.I can break it down to more detail, but for now I have to go to sleep. I hope this helps, because it worked for me!
wow thanks i really appreciate you taking your time to help me! :unsure: will see if it works...
wow thanks i really appreciate you taking your time to help me! :P will see if it works...
cant perform steps 3+ because i have a laptop but when i type -v at the end it says "still waiting for root device" what does this mean?

wow thanks i really appreciate you taking your time to help me! ;) will see if it works...cant perform steps 3+ because i have a laptop but when i type -v at the end it says "still waiting for root device" what does this mean?

That means that it can't boot off of your DVD drive, this is a common problem. If you're using a laptop... I'm not sure what to tell ya. External dvd drive maybe?

That means that it can't boot off of your DVD drive, this is a common problem. If you're using a laptop... I'm not sure what to tell ya. External dvd drive maybe?

That might just work. Ask some people you know if they have a USB DVD drive.

That might just work. Ask some people you know if they have a USB DVD drive.

but the CD boots perfectly fine its when i try to boot leopard (which i already installed) that the gray apple logo has that little cross-out sign(as seen on my pic above in my first post) and when i typed in -v it said still waiting for root device do i stil have to use a ex. Dvd drive?

but the CD boots perfectly fine its when i try to boot leopard (which i already installed) that the gray apple logo has that little cross-out sign(as seen on my pic above in my first post) and when i typed in -v it said still waiting for root device do i stil have to use a ex. Dvd drive?

anyone?

nevermind I have decided to pull the plug on this adventure gone wrong and reinstall vista macintosh just is too much of a trouble thanks to all the wonderfull people who tried to help me!! ;) *vista here i come*

Well, sorry that it didn't work out for you. Maybe if you are feeling up for another adventure, you can try to take up Linux. Ubuntu is an easy distro to learn, and it is loosely based off of Unix as is OS X.

which linux distro would u recommend?

• 2 months later...
thanks will give it a try :(

The problem you guys are having is that you are trying to use your IDE disk drives to boot up the DVD's. Unfortunately with hackintosh as far as I am aware this isn't possible unless you setup a specific bootloader that will enable you to run boot up disks off IDE.

However you should all try to borrow or buy a USB drive, you will find you have far more joy with these as they are recognised and you can boot disks off them with hackintosh's.