Dual Boot OS X / XP on 2 separate HDs

16 posts in this topic

I have a disk with kalyway leopard and another separate, physical disk with XP on it. Right now, with both disks plugged in Darwin goes straight to OSX, if I unplug the OSX disk, windows does it's thing. How do I get darwin to recognize the XP disk and allow for an option to boot to it? If this is not possible, should I be using chain0 method? I just wanted to check before I went through with chain0 in case it was as easy as adding an entry to boot.plist or something.

thanks

thanks macgirl...I have gone through those topics. problem is, even after copying chain0 and modifying the boot.ini, when I power up with both the OSX hd connected and the xp32 drive connected, darwin still goes right to loading osx and I never get to see the windows boot loader. any tips on how to do this?

I added e:\chain0 = "OSX" to my boot.ini on the XP32 drive and copied chain0 to that location

When I make it to the darwin loader, if I choose to see boot options it shows "foreign OS" in the list on the XP drive, but if I select it it says "non-system disk". If I reboot and unplug the OSX disk though, I boot into XP fine, so that seems wrong.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks

-

Change your Boot order to have Win loaded first by changing the boot order in your BIOS or if on IDE disks, change your jumper setting to place the OSX HDD on the slave setting and the WIN HDD on the master setting this should solve the problem. Having Win as bootloader should be fine for you.

You could also use GRUB found on the UBUNTU CD (free download) and use PC_EFI if you wished!

These are sata drives and so have no jumper settings. I have an asus maximus and in the bios there is only the RAID system showing as a choice, not individual drives. is there a way to set the XP as active or something? what about the order on the SATA ports they are plugged in to?

thanks

I have an IDE system (3 IDE HDD), but I'm able to change the boot order in the menu of the BIOS (with an ASUS MB, see my sign). Also, once I used an SATA drive in my computer for something, and if I recall correctly, I was able to choose the boot order (on the same MB).

Also, if Win is booting, your partition is active, so it's not the problem.

Changing the pluging order SATA1 -> SATA2 and vice-versa may help if SATA1 is hard coded to be booted first. If SATA1 was OSX, changing it with the Win disk should make Win boot first.

ok, got a bit further now... you were right dan druff, thanks. I set the xp32 disk as the first in the bios boot order and I am hitting the windows boot loader and I get a choice of OSX to boot to. unfortuneately, when I select it, I get this error:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.

Please re-install a copy of the above file.

Can ntldr load OSX? am I just referencing the OSX install incorrectly in my boot.ini? I have E:\CHAIN0="Mac OS X" (E: is where my XP install resides._)

should I maybe be referencing it the windows way? i.e. multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\chain0="OSX" or something?

thanks

-

it's GUID and yes, chain0 is sitting at the root of drive E: which is the windows xp32 HDD.

is having GUID going be a problem? I have imaged the OSX install with superduper. I could reformat MBR and copy that image over with restore, would that help?

Then I would recommend you to use GRUB, you can install GRUB (with UBUNTU) on the WinXP drive (if it's FAT, don't know when it's NTFS) and use it to multiboot to WinXP and OSX. Using PC_EFI can also be done this way and it gives you the opportunity to use GFX strings to improve recognition of your GFX card. You could even use a vanilla kernel if your system allows it.

You could also use Vista (compatible with GUID), but a large number of people would recommend you to stay away from that.

It's NTFS....I have PC_EFI already on the drive and my graphics card works perfect (dual monitor DVI) and I am also using the vanilla kernel. knowing all that, could you recommend the best way to go about this? what if I simply created another small partition, installed vista, then just used it's bootloader from now on to get to XP and OSX?

As I've already used the chain0 method with WinXP with success, so I think the problem is comming from PC_EFI and then, I would redirect you to forum.netkas.org and ask about your problem, because AFAIK, PC_EFI replace the chain0 boot sequence by it's own (but I can be mistaken) to place a fake EFI in memory. There, I think that I've seen some request looking as your's, like this one.

I wish you good luck!

Dan-last question: what if I just imaged the OSX install, repartitioned that drive to MBR then restored using the image I made, is this possible?

I have no idea, if your install is very stable, the result of a long install and tweaking and you have no trace of all the steps you used to get this result, I would suggest to try... with the possibility that it will never recover from the process...

You may try iBackup to save your settings and stuff, works very well for the usual stuff from your "~/your name/" directory. For the rest (kext, kernel, PC_EFI, etc.), prepare yourself for a fresh install in case it goes wrong.

Good luck!

Dan-

the setup was actually dead simple....the only snag was making the video card work which involved adding the netkas ATI HD series kext. problem is I forgot how I did it, someone on IRC was leading me through it and I lost the session log. something to do with kexthelper. so yeah, shoudn't be super hard to reinstall, just time consuming.