Anyway to put Leo Installer on external USB HDD?

josh.limb

1 post in this topic

Hey all, any help would be great! And thanks in advance for all input.

So...

I have an HP DV6245US and unfortunately I am a victim of the Intel 3945ABG issue. Which I hear some are very close to get that to working, anyway, back to the point. As you all know I am not able to use the wireless nic for that laptop. I have since acquired a Toshiba A135-S2386, which has an Atheros model wnic. I am hoping that I wll be able to get that card to work. I am quite the noob so not real sure if I can. The problem is that I cannot get my ToH disc to boot in the Toshia model. I always get the "Still Waiting for Root Device" message. I have read numorous sites about the issue and for the life of me cannot get it to boot. So I was thinking, if I can some way put the Leopard installer on an external USB HDD??? Plus, this would make the install and boot up time, much faster than reading the disc.

I have tried to do this within Tiger on my HP model. I make an image of the install disc, restore it to my external drive, and try to boot and :) .

Okay, so I personally, am not sure if the still waiting message is something to do with my internal hdd or the dvd drive???

I have been trying to get this to go for a few days now, and it is driving me crazy cause I cannot get it to work, but still I am not going to give up. I tried to do all that I could before resorting to this option, but I would GREATLY appreciate any info.

Thanks everyone!!!!

HP DV6245US Specs....

Intel Core 2 Duo processor T5200

1.5 GB RAM

Intel GMA950

160GB HDD

Toshiba A135-S2386 Specs

Intel Pentium Dual Core 1.73GHZ T2080

512 MB RAM

ATI Radeon Xpress 200M

80GB HDD

Oh and another thing I am not sure of... When I partion the drive to get ready to restore the image, does that partition have to be a certain format? Like does it have to be a FAT drive in order for me to boot?

Thanks again!

(Sorry for the mispells and poor punctuation :D )

---- Since posting I have found away. I am not sure if this is going to be helpful to anyone but it was to me. I got sick of having to boot to the disc and it taking forever. So, what I did... I am using Leo disc but ToH. When in the installer I just restored the disk image to a partition on my external drive, and ran the "script.sh" file that is in /usr/misc to the partition that on the external and boom a nice install disc on a HDD. Now to boot to the installer it takes a matter of seconds rather than minutes. Like I said I am not sure if this will help anyone, but it is nice to have.