HP Pavilion Media Center TV PC (m7780n) works with Kalyway

2 posts in this topic

As I mentioned in my previous postings, I have an HP Pavillion Media Center TV PC (m7780n) and have managed to install up to Kalyway's Leopard 10.5.1. I have not yet attempted to proceed with the 10.5.2 installation as I am testing various features of this OS for compatibility with my hardware. (machine details below)

In my previous attempt to get this same machine online with UpHuck's Tiger 10.4.9, i was never able to make any progress with the onboard ethernet chipset (Intel 82562v). I figured that I might as well do some research on the forums and invest in a stand-alone NIC that has the reported best compatibility with OS X. (NIC details below)

Machine Details:

OS: Vista Home Premium (SATA 0) / Kalyway Leopard 10.5.1 (SATA 1)

Proc: Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.13 GHz

RAM: 2 GB

HDD: 250 GB (SATA 0) / 250 GB (SATA 1); BOTH are internal drives

GFX: nVidia GeForce 7600 GT (256 MB)

Keyboard: Apple Aluminum Keyboard (wired)

Mouse: Logitech MX 400 Laser Mouse

NIC: Netgear "Gigabit PCI Adapter" (GA311) (*)

*the onboard Intel 82562v remains active in my system's BIOS, but nothing's plugged in it's ethernet port.

Setup Details:

NIC

-------For the HP Media Center m7780n, the only surefire way you can get on the internet without resorting to a virtual machine like VMware or a USB-based WiFi dongle, is to install a network interface card (NIC) that works with the various OSx86 releases. I did some research and found that the NIC produced by Netgear (above) worked well in the various Tiger releases. I admit that you'll have to do a bit more research if my particular choice of NIC isn't available anywhere in your local stores.... or you could just simply buy it online while Netgear still makes that particular model. (don't wait too long!!!!)

The next hurdle is how to install the NIC. For this particular machine, ALL of the PCI slots are occupied!!! So you have to choose carefully which PCI card you could live without in the long run. If you don't use 56k dial-up as your primary method of getting online, you could opt to remove the PCI modem, which occupies the last slot, closest to the exposed hard drive, which is very hard to not notice...

1. Unscrew, unplug, and remove the side-ways-mounted hard drive in order to gain access to the PCI modem. Be careful when navigating through the internal wires as they are a real mess.
  2. Once that hard drive is out, set it aside and proceed to unscrew and remove the PCI modem. Be careful to not damage it while pulling it out of the PCI slot and don't touch the gold connectors.
  3. Proceed to install the new network card.
  4. Re-attach the hard drive
  5. Close the computer's cover
  6. Connect the ethernet cable to the new card
  7. Turn on the computer and let Vista automatically install the drivers (i didn't need to use the included driver CD)

Hard Disks

-------Assuming you want to retain Vista on the primary internal Hard Disk (SATA 0) and also assuming you don't currently have anything on the secondary internal Hard Disk (SATA 1), you could actually just use the entire second disk for the installation of Leopard.

1. Click on the Windows Menu
  2. Click on "Administration"
  3. Click on "Computer Management"
  4. Select the option that lets you manage the Hard Disks/Drives
  5. (C:) is the active Windows Vista installation, (D:) contains the HP factory recovery packages and install data, and (E:) is the other 250 GB drive I recommend where you can install Leopard.
  6. Right-Click the (E:) drive and 'remove' it so that it won't show up in Windows. In other words, this would be an un-allocated drive.

BIOS Settings (for Leopard Install and post-install usage)

-------After preparing the hard drive in Windows, you next have to make sure the BIOS is setup properly. (the following instructions may be a bit vague as I tried to remember them as best I can.... please bare with me)

1. Insert your burned Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD and reboot.
  2. When the blue HP screen comes up, press or hold F10 to get into the BIOS setup screen.
  3. Once at the BIOS screen, press the right arrow key on your keyboard to go through the available menus. As you go through each menu, be sure to look for one of the options that says "RAID". If you select it, you should then be able to choose between "IDE", "RAID", and "AHCI".
  4. Select AHCI.
  5. Save and Exit. (the computer will reboot and attempt to access the Leopard DVD)

PLEASE NOTE that if you ever want to boot back into Vista, you will have to revert back to "RAID", reboot, and hold Escape to select the Vista drive.

Actual Leopard Install

-------This -WILL- take a rather long time, almost 40-45 minutes total (starting up from the DVD takes up most of the time... you might as well make yourself a sandwich or something while it fully boots up).

1. Make sure you start from the Kalyway DVD and not any of the Hard Disks. (no need for the "-v" verbose switch if you're not a programmer)
  2. Let that baby load!!! ;)
  3. Once you get to the Install screen, do NOT proceed with the install. Instead, go up to the Utilities menu and click "Disk Utility" to partition and format the second hard disk.
  4. Make sure you select the drive that doesn't contain the Vista installation nor the HP recovery data.
  5. Use just one large partition to keep things simple
  6. MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE THAT THE NAME OF THE NEW PARTITION HAS NO SPACES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ....................................................................... For simplicity's sake, you could simply name the partition as "OSX".
  7. Format it using "Mac OS Extended Journaled" and make sure you use MBR (master boot record)
  8. After formatting the hard disk, quit Disk Utility
  9. Proceed with the "CUSTOM" install of Leopard.

You should then be presented with a checkbox list of items to choose from. Here's what I chose:

1. I chose everything in the "Vanilla" section
  2. I did not chose SSE2
  3. I chose the "NATIT,gfnvidia" video driver ONLY
  4. I chose the "AZALIA_out" soundcard driver ONLY
  5. I did not chose the network driver
  6. I chose the MBR selection under the Bootloaders EFI category.
  7. I then proceeded to let that :censored2: install!!! ;) muahahaha!!
  8. Reboot as soon as the install is completed and remove the DVD while the computer is powering up.
  9. Hold down ESC (escape) at the blue HP screen to select the disk where OSX was just installed.
  10. Now let the hard disk install of Leopard load up and after about a few minutes, you'll be welcomed with Leopard's flashy new intro animation.

Of course, if you followed the above instructions, you should even be able to use Safari immediately.......................................... provided you've properly configured your router in Windows (if you're using one).

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! You now have a working 10.5.1 Leopard installation on your HP Media Center m7780n.

This is about as far as I've gotten.

I have succeeded in doing the following things while typing up this entire guide:

*installed Firefox 2.x................. in fact, i'm still booted in Leopard and using Firefox to post this message!

*installed an Epson C86 driver via Apple's built-in "Software Update"

*printed a test document using TextEdit and the new Epson driver

*successfully played some sounds in the control panel

*successfully played a plain MP3 through iTunes

*successfully attempted to idle the computer and let it go to Sleep mode on its own.

*successfully awakened it from Sleep mode after a few clicks.

Here's what I want to do next:

*attempt to burn a CD/DVD via iTunes or the Disk Utility

*attempt various Shut Down, Restart proceedures

*attempt to print to a shared network printer (via Windows network)

*attempt to install Dave for on-the-fly filesharing with my Windows computers

*attempt to update Leopard to 10.5.2 via Kalyway's Combo Update and the new 10.5.2 kernels.

*attempt to find better ways of finding a dual-boot scheme incorporating my current setup/configuration......................... in other words, I want to avoid having to go into the BIOS everytime I want to switch between Windows and Leopard. But until then, I have to keep going back and forth between "AHCI" and "RAID" and all the while, making sure I start up from the correct hard drive, depending on the OS I want to use per sitting.

I probably won't touch Time Machine nor install any other updates via Apple's "Software Update" as I think it may render my Leopard install unbootable or something.

While this guide is specifically targeted for people who have the exact same machine, I still do hope my instructions and advice at the very least helps somebody. Forum admins, if you think it is necessary, then by all means, please move this post into wherever you think it can benefit the community. Thanks and enjoy!

Oh..... I forgot to mention one last important step. Please, please, go out and buy the real retail-boxed Leopard and support Apple's hard work. Whether you buy it online or in person at a store, or even at your nearest Apple Store, you'll sleep better at night knowing you're supporting a good company who has time and again delivered quality and really caters their products for the people.

UPDATED!

*Successfully updated to 10.5.2 using Kalyway's Combo Update and Kernel package. (repaired permissions and rebooted after intalling each, respectively)

*Successfully installed ALL software updates listed via Apple's "Software Update" utility. (includes quicktime, itunes, etc. updates)

*Attempting to experiment with large downloads via BitTorrent... (i read on these forums that some people get various problems with Torrents, with some of them even rendering their Hackintosh Leopard installs unbootable).

The only thing left for me is to find the best option to make it so the time/clock on the OSX install doesn't screw with the time/clock when I boot back into my original Vista disk. I read that both OSes keep time differently... any suggestions?

While this is slightly off topic, I think it is just a shame that I can't view older .AVI files created with Intel Indeo codecs, as a Mac OS X version of the said codec was never made. Other than that, I can view the majority of all my movies from my Vista disk (mpg, wmv, and some AVI's).

I'm very happy! :D

UPDATE 2 (about an hour or so later....):

*It seems that everyone else isn't joking. Downloading Torrents does seem to not only cause my internet connection to die, but it also forces my router to die too, at which point, I have to do a hard restart of the router (unplugging it from the electrical outlet and plugging it back in to reset it). I used the -actual- BitTorrent 4.x software and not Transmission; i figured 'who else would know how to properly implement BitTorrent's protocals other than the original author him/themselves?'.

I can assure you all that this issue is -NOT- due to my router, my dsl connection, nor my ethernet card since they all work perfectly, without disconnects when I'm booted in Windows and using the official BitTorrent software.

I've been listening to some Reggaeton on iTunes radio for almost an hour after I got my internet back online and have got no disconnects at all. Oh well, win some, lose some. -_-:hysterical: