Vista + Leopard Problems

4 posts in this topic

Hi. I am a complete newbie to macs. My freind has two hard drives and said he wanted me to get him leo. Before we did this, we decided to see if we could dual boot at all. So, we installed gutsy gibbon. The boot loader worked fine. We then proceeded to instal iAktos. it looked like it wuz working, but when we tried to boot we got the blinking cursor. So, we tried to boot vista, however, the Grub boot loader was still there, and it gave us "ERROR 17", which i assumed meant that it couldn't find ubuntu. so we reinstalled vista (thank god it backs up your files) and we put the dvd in again. We have tried doing the F8, -x or what ever and doing the flag 2, flag 1, ect. It says partition marked as active, but we still get the blinking cursor. Grub is gone now, but I have no idea where to install darwin. I am good with computers, but when it comes to messing with the OS, Im not all that good. So, i need keystroke by keystroke thing here. If anyone can help, please respond.

Thanks in advance,

Kalibur K

Alright, well, did the OS X Leopard installation actually finish? Did you get the big green check mark at the end, or did you have to manually restart the computer during installation?

Grub Error 17 states: "17 : Cannot mount selected partition.

This error is returned if the partition requested exists, but the filesystem type cannot be recognized by GRUB. " This means that whatever OS you were trying to boot into, something was wrong with GRUB, or its configuration file, not Ubuntu itself. (GRUB is not the same as Ubuntu, you can have one or the other, you don't have to have both).

Grub would be gone after a Vista Reinstallation, because Vista installs over the MBR (Master Boot Record, where GRUB hangs out).

So, can you tell us what you have now? What OS's do you have, and what are you willing to do with your computer?

Well, if you triple boot (by reinstalling Linux) its real easy to fix.

I would reinstall Linux, making room by using parted (on the install) to shrink your Windows partition.

Once you have grub working, and you can reaccess Windows with it, just like you did before, you can follow my guide to use grub to access OS X.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=606752