Leopard works with -x but hangs otherwise

Irate82

4 posts in this topic

Hi this will be my first post.

I have done extensive googling on this issue and havent had any luck so far

I have a p5K motherboard, the simple one just a p5k, no extras, I installed kalyways 10.5.1 and everything went okay, I used a SATA DVD Drive to fix the .plist issue associated with JMicrons IDE controler.

Upon first boot leopard hangs, it shows the first grey green and then it goes dark with just the mouse cursor top left, the mouse moves but it just sits there.

I tried the -x switch which I believe is safe mode, everything works apart from the sound, GFX seem to be accelerated, I can change my res (but it resets itself to 1024x768 on a reboot) I have internet through a PCI card and everything is great apart from the sound

I understand that having ticked the boxes to install p5k audio drivers at install time my sound should work but it does not.

No Audio device is listed in "system profiler".

-v yields nothing helpfull, the same grey screen the same dark screen with a mouse.

Slightly frustrated, there's little or nothing about p5k audio in google, and the compatibilty list says I should be good after a "patch".

Can anyone help me please,

What is this patch the list mentions?

Is sound disabled due to the -x switch anyway?

Any ideas why I need to use the -x switch?

Thanks guys, appreciate it.

Hi this will be my first post.

I have done extensive googling on this issue and havent had any luck so far

I have a p5K motherboard, the simple one just a p5k, no extras, I installed kalyways 10.5.1 and everything went okay, I used a SATA DVD Drive to fix the .plist issue associated with JMicrons IDE controler.

Upon first boot leopard hangs, it shows the first grey green and then it goes dark with just the mouse cursor top left, the mouse moves but it just sits there.

I tried the -x switch which I believe is safe mode, everything works apart from the sound, GFX seem to be accelerated, I can change my res (but it resets itself to 1024x768 on a reboot) I have internet through a PCI card and everything is great apart from the sound

I understand that having ticked the boxes to install p5k audio drivers at install time my sound should work but it does not.

No Audio device is listed in "system profiler".

-v yields nothing helpfull, the same grey screen the same dark screen with a mouse.

Slightly frustrated, there's little or nothing about p5k audio in google, and the compatibilty list says I should be good after a "patch".

Can anyone help me please,

What is this patch the list mentions?

Is sound disabled due to the -x switch anyway?

Any ideas why I need to use the -x switch?

Thanks guys, appreciate it.

What do you mean by grafix seem to be accelerated, does system profiler report QE and CI as supported?

Hi thanks for the quick responses

By accelerated I mean the video doesn't seem laggy as it can do under windows on default drivers

The Quartz Extreme (QE?) says Not Supported and the Core Image (CI?) Says "software"

Is that what you meant?

The console doesn't appear to show anything obviously wrong the most obvious error message I can see is:

"16/03/2008 23:17:40 com.apple.launchctl.System[2] launchctl: Please convert the following to launchd: /etc/mach_init.d/dashboardadvisoryd.plist"

Does that ring any bells?