how to find the mac-adress

sunlite

10 posts in this topic

hi,

i have mac osx running on my notebook. at this time the ethernet is not configured because i didn't find any drivers, yet. but i want to install a programm which needs my notebook's mac-adress. if i use the terminal, systemprefs or about this mac-tab it all says that my mac adress is:

00:11:22:33:44:55:66:77:88

and that's definitly not the right one. is there any possibility to figure out the real mac-adress of my ethernet-card?

thx

p.s. infos about my cards:

- ethernet: NIC (LOM) Broadcom® BCM5906M 10/100 Integrated Ethernet

- wireless: "Dell" wireless 1490 - Broadcom BCM4310.

Try System Preferences / Network Click on your NIC, Advanced button, then Ethernet Tab, the ID is the first line!

You can only get the Mac Address Once the correct driver is loaded so you might have a problem! Your software links up with the NIC via the driver, so if your Machine doesn't see it the software won't see it!

StiCMAN

I keep getting these PM's Don't you have a life?

PM from Skyper:

"You are {censored} USELESS to this forum. "

Skyper

So what you had to show in 15 pictures I could do in ONE sentence!!

@ Skyper, kindly refer to my first post reply:

"....posting via my "D-Link DWA-111, now f :( ff or apologize!"

I keep getting these PM's Don't you have a life?

PM from Skyper:

"You are {censored} USELESS to this forum. "

Skyper

So what you had to show in 15 pictures I could do in ONE sentence!!

@ Skyper, kindly refer to my first post reply:

"....posting via my "D-Link DWA-111, now f :( ff or apologize!"

What ever ..

Oh and do you have a life either? Dont think so..

hi guys,

the problem is, that my dell xps m1530 notebook does not show me an ethernet within mac osx. there is obviously no driver available which is gonna work, yet. therefore i cannot configure me ethernet and i either cannot go to an ethernet-tab because there is no ethernet. the only thing, mac osx shows me is the "firewire". and that's not connected. nothing more is in the list.

maybe there is another way to figure out this mac-adress

I understand you frustration!

Here is your problem, If your software needs to link to your NIC's mac address, you HAVE to have a kext for it loaded! There are no way around it! Even if you knew what it was, you won't be able to tell your software, your software has to "FIND" it!

If you just need to know download something like Ubuntu or gOS run it and maybe it will recognize your card and give you the mac address, but that won't solve the issue in MacOSX

BTW, what program are you trying to install?

SticMAN

hi guys,

the problem is, that my dell xps m1530 notebook does not show me an ethernet within mac osx. there is obviously no driver available which is gonna work, yet. therefore i cannot configure me ethernet and i either cannot go to an ethernet-tab because there is no ethernet. the only thing, mac osx shows me is the "firewire". and that's not connected. nothing more is in the list.

maybe there is another way to figure out this mac-adress

Yip that's one of them! it attaches itself to your NIC/mac address so you will have to get one, even if it a cheapy USB! once you get your card going, you will have to un-register and reattach to the "new" card!

SticMAN

hi,

i need to install autodesk maya 2008. i bought the unlimited version and there i got a version for windows, linux and mac osx.

does it make sense to figure out the mac-adress of my ethernet-card when this card is not installed on the mac-osx? i mean. mac osx does not know that there is an ethernet card installed. is maya able to find the ethernet-card then?