Laptop freezes with "AppleRTL8169Ethernet: phyWaitForAutoNegotiation TIMEOUT" after installing Kalyway 10.5.1 and rebooting

smd9

8 posts in this topic

I just installed Kalyway Leopard 10.5.1 on my MSI GX700 (MS-1719) laptop (Intel Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, Nvidia 8600m GT, 100GB Hitachi Sata 7k200 etc).

After a few attempts, I got the installer to work (finally entered cpus=1, otherwise it would keep rebooting) and I installed using the efi_mbr option, and did the whole "cd /Volumes/123/pc_efi_v80" (123 was the name of the volume) and "./startupfiletool /dev/rdisk0s3 ./boot_v8" to install EFI.  I formatted the partition to install on (3rd partition on the drive) using the disk utility in the installer to "Max OS Extended (Journaled)".  

I selected the vanilla kernels, and deselected the Realtek wifi driver and selected the Nvidia laptop driver and the Azalia_out sound driver and the SSE2_System driver.  I tried with and without the Realtek driver selected and still the same problem.  It freezes when it gets to "AppleRTL8169Ethernet: phyWaitForAutoNegotiation TIMEOUT" while booting.

Anyone have any ideas?  Any way I can disable that driver?  I don't mind if my LAN port doesn't work, I don't use it anyway (just wireless).

You're very lucky ! I've the same computer and i've just installed kalyway on it.

I had many problems before I succed and I reconize your problem.

The problem is that the NVinject driver for the graphic card is unreconised on ours laptops.

Try to install Leopard without any drivers. No graphic card driver, no sound and no network driver.

You should have a succesful boot but... without any driver.

I am trying to find the good drivers now

to be continued....

Thanks for the tip skizo, I figured that's what it was because I think the only thing different I remember doing was unchecking the drivers on the install.

My only problem now is that I always have to type "cpus=1" on startup or else it keeps rebooting.

• 5 months later...

hello SMD9.

you have works on GX700?

to my works install good only not startup (to boot screen MAC and loading ring very long not startup)

SOrry iam bad english i hope you can my help how can i works on gx700 my laptop

greets

Did you try pressing a key to enter starup options and typing cpus=1?

Also, during the install, try not installing custom drivers (especially not the video drivers). Mine crashed on startup until I did that.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...