Computer immediately restarts after atttempting to boot into Leopard drive

skinrock

5 posts in this topic

I bought a 500 gig sata drive because I heard about this 10.5 image that can be copied directly to a clean drive and booted from. I ran it, everything looks okay. I even booted from a previous OSX86 DVD that says that hard drive is a Leopard hard drive with 10.5 installed, and it won't let me install over it because it's a newer version.But when I try to boot into that hard drive, it restarts immediately...no errors. I changed my hdd priority and set the leopard drive first. When I boot up, it quickly prints out "starting darwin osx86" and then restarts. It doesn't take more than a second.Is there a flag I have to set, maybe in Ubuntu? Or should I re-do the image copier? It seems like if my Tiger disc sees the hdd correctly, and I can somewhat boot into it...it might be a more serious issue, but I don't know.

Sorry, I should note I'm using an ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe. I used this "flat image" because under the wiki hardware compatibility list, it says the following for 10.5:ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe nVidia nForce4 SLI Chipset - Confirmed working using Leopard flat image, Working with Leopard flat image, EFI + ToH kernel working

• 1 month later...
Verified with Ubuntu that the drive is formatted correctly (obviously), and that the boot flag is set.

Again, not sure how I pass -v or cpus=1 when trying to boot up.

Skinrock,

I have the same board as you do. I guess you have had the same or similar install issues as they are frequent with our type of board (A8N32-SLI deluxe). Is the image you used designed on a system like ours ? It sounds as its a backup of a working fully installed working version? And lastly what is the smallest disk size it can be restored on? (I have a 40gig test drive for the purpose).

If it is like some windows images, it will only parition to the size it was imaged off of (as long as the drive is bigger than the image needs), then later you can resize the image to fit the drive if needed. Does this sound right?

Thanks in advance! ;)