Driver for an XFX 6800XT?

Steven2k7

12 posts in this topic

I cant seem to find a working driver for my XFX 6800XT, with 128mb of memory.

I used the Kalyway 10.5.1 install disk for Leopard, and loaded to the desktop just fine. When I open up Pacifist, I go to contents of video drivers, and install NVinject drivers. but when I restart my computer, I get a message pop up on my desktop saying 'System extension cannot be used', then shows the path of where the NVinject.kext was installed, and says it was installed improperly.

I tried to install the drivers I found here, but I just get a 'you must restart your computer' error every time I start it up.

I'm currently viewing leopard at 1024x768, on a 1680x1050 resolution LCD...

I cant seem to find a working driver for my XFX 6800XT, with 128mb of memory.

I used the Kalyway 10.5.1 install disk for Leopard, and loaded to the desktop just fine. When I open up Pacifist, I go to contents of video drivers, and install NVinject drivers. but when I restart my computer, I get a message pop up on my desktop saying 'System extension cannot be used', then shows the path of where the NVinject.kext was installed, and says it was installed improperly.

I tried to install the drivers I found here, but I just get a 'you must restart your computer' error every time I start it up.

I'm currently viewing leopard at 1024x768, on a 1680x1050 resolution LCD...

Try to correct permissions for NVinject:

cd /Systems/Library/Extensions

sudo chmod -R 755 NVinject.kext

sudo chown -R root:wheel NVinject.kext

sudo rm -f ../Extensions.*

Reboot!

NVinject can be downloaded from here: http://nvinject.free.fr/downloads.php if you want a newer version.

I don't know what driver pack you installed from the thread you linked to above but if it doesn't work for you when repairing permissions then try to restore the old drivers.

Good luck!

I'm a pretty new at using Leopard, but how do I change the permissions?

Get yourself a terminal by going to Program and the Utilities then Terminal (the terminal is like a dos prompt or similar you should be able to locate it)

Then just type this in the terminal:

cd /Systems/Library/Extensions

sudo chmod -R 755 NVinject.kext

sudo chown -R root:wheel NVinject.kext

sudo rm -f ../Extensions.*

and then reboot!

You probably didn't notice the terminal commands in my previous post but they are there if you look :)

I found Terminal, and typed in the commands, and it appeared to go through, but when i restarted the computer, it didnt change anything.. I've tried reinstalling the driver a few times, and entered the commands twice, but nothing changed.

Also, in the command 'cd /Systems', terminal said there was no such folder, so I tried using just 'system', and that worked. Duno if it has anythign to do with it though.

Thanks for the help btw.

I found Terminal, and typed in the commands, and it appeared to go through, but when i restarted the computer, it didnt change anything.. I've tried reinstalling the driver a few times, and entered the commands twice, but nothing changed.

Also, in the command 'cd /Systems', terminal said there was no such folder, so I tried using just 'system', and that worked. Duno if it has anythign to do with it though.

Thanks for the help btw.

Sorry I misspelled it should be System. Maybe you should try to reinstall Leopard and see what happens? then you can try adding NVinject again but with a clean install. I know your card is supported so it should work fine.

I reinstalled it once today while doing this after installing a bad driver.

What order should I do everything in?

This is how I've been doing it: Install leopard (not selecting any video drivers before the install, but selecting the Vanilla kernal). Once it installs and I go to the desktop, I open up Pacifist, load the apple install disk, go to video drivers and install NVINJECT_gfnidia to the default directory. (Is there only one file in there I should install, or is everything the folder fine?). then I restart, open up terminal, run those commands, and restart again.

I'll try reinstall leopard again...

Why not select correct video driver when installing and let the installation program do the installation for you? I'm not familiar with that package your trying to install but you should copy NVinject.kext to /System/Library/Extensions. What your doing seems fine to me as NVinject probably is in that package your installing. you can verify that its correctly installed by checking in the Extensions directory if its there.

Do this, boot with flag -v this will boot up Leopard as usual but with printed information instead of an apple logo, check if you see any NVinject in there to verity it loads correctly, it should load right after your nvidia driver.

When I selected a video driver during install, I just got a black 'you must restart your computer' message.

The NVinject are in the Extensions directory, but when I started up with -v, I didnt see anything about Nvidia or NVinject in there.

When I selected a video driver during install, I just got a black 'you must restart your computer' message.

The NVinject are in the Extensions directory, but when I started up with -v, I didnt see anything about Nvidia or NVinject in there.

If you don't see anything with nvidia in there the video drivers never load. NVinject will load after the video drivers to configure the video drivers correctly.

I'm assuming you actually have the nvidia drivers installed in your extensions directory and that your haven't replaced them with kexts from the link you gave in your first post. You could check that they actually are there by looking for Geforce.kext NVDAResman.kext NVDANV40.kext and GeforceGA.plugin in the Extensions directory.

If they are there the solution might be to edit in your device id into these files:

cd Geforce.kex/Contents

sudo nano Info.plist find <String>IOPCIPrimarymatch</String> and add your device id in the <key>...</key> field under, you could add your device id anywhere in there amongst those already in the string.

do the same for the files: NVDAResman.kext and NVDANV40.kext.

your device id is 0x004810de (I think it is found it using google).

The most important thing is to verify that the files (video drivers + NVinject) are in the Extensions directory and you shouldn't download those files from the link in your first post and install them, they seem to be patched in some way for another gfx card, maybe they have changed device ids in them? So make sure your using those files that came with Leopard (those shoudln't require you do edit in device id but it's worth a try).

Now you have something to try atleast ;) Let me know how it works for you!

I downloaded and installed this file and it gave me the correct resoultion at least, but the Core Image is Software, and Quartz Extreme is Not Supported.

I've changed all the NV* kexts for IOPCIMatch to 0x00c310, which I've been told is the device ID for the card, and still nothing.

I downloaded and installed this file and it gave me the correct resoultion at least, but the Core Image is Software, and Quartz Extreme is Not Supported.

I've changed all the NV* kexts for IOPCIMatch to 0x00c310, which I've been told is the device ID for the card, and still nothing.

are you sure the device id should't be 0x003c10de? 10de is what all nvidia devices end with so that would probably be the right one for you.

EDIT: You really shouldn't use those kexts from that link since they appear to be really old, you really should use those that came with leopard dist or download never from this forum.

I think this installer should work great: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=83931 just check the 9C20kexts and then one of the NVinjects that corresponds to what ram you have on your gfx card. Then install and reboot! You don't need to edit in any device ids in this either. Good luck!