Accidentally broke my system

DarthShrine

8 posts in this topic

For some reason the Apple Software Update hates me and it always manages to pop up at a bad time so I accidentally install some updates that I wasn't planning to. Usually this isn't a bad thing, but this time it's broken my system. The update install the "Leopard Graphics Update", and now on boot I'm taken to a plain blue screen and not able to do anything.

Am I able to rescue my system? I really don't want to install again.

I have a Toshiba Satellite with Intel Graphics, if that helps.

For some reason the Apple Software Update hates me and it always manages to pop up at a bad time so I accidentally install some updates that I wasn't planning to. Usually this isn't a bad thing, but this time it's broken my system. The update install the "Leopard Graphics Update", and now on boot I'm taken to a plain blue screen and not able to do anything.

Am I able to rescue my system? I really don't want to install again.

I have a Toshiba Satellite with Intel Graphics, if that helps.

Boot from your install disk, go to terminal and remove all graphics card related kexts from /Library/System/Extensions

eg.

rm -F ATI*.kext

rm -F NVI*.kext

rm -F GeF*.kext

then fix permission using diskutility then reboot.

this should get you past the black screen and to a low res desktop. you can now reinstall your working kexts (you did backup right?) and everything will be back to normal.

Apple Software update can be turned off.

Try plugging in an external monitor, I think that's where your desktop has gone to.

Surprisingly enough, if I do this I get a picture on the external display.. However, I still can't get anything on the laptop's screen.

dmesg says: "display: Not usable" and there's some other stuff about it failing to match families and stuff. Detect Displays is not able to find the screen either..

Your best bet is to search the forums for other people who have the same problem.

Try to find out what is the exact model name of your intel video and use that in the search, that should narrow it down somewhat.

Maybe you can find something interesting in this thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=87333

I was only guessing, I'm quite surprised that I nailed it. But I can't help you further because I don't have this problem (I don't have a laptop).

Good hunting.

Your best bet is to search the forums for other people who have the same problem.

Try to find out what is the exact model name of your intel video and use that in the search, that should narrow it down somewhat.

Maybe you can find something interesting in this thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=87333

I was only guessing, I'm quite surprised that I nailed it. But I can't help you further because I don't have this problem (I don't have a laptop).

Good hunting.

Hah, that thread did work. I replaced the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext with an older one and I'm back to where I was before the update. It'd be nice to get it working so I don't get mouse tearing, but at least I can use my system.

Thanks!