Need Help! installing the drivers for geforce 8400 GS

nexenta

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

After serveral weeks of tring i finally found a good distribution of 10.5.2 and now is working great.

BUT in last 2 days i tried to find a good video driver for my geforce 8400 GS. I understand that is quie a chalange to get it work but some did. All seem to work ok but i dont have QUARTZ EXTREME Support and i need it for Logic 8... ;)(

Can anyone please tell me what driver should be recomanded for my video card and HOW in the world i can restore the old driver without installing again the so after an blac screen

Please advice me what to do.

Thank you very much!

Nevermind I did! I must say that I posted 4 times on this forum in last 4 days and no one told me a word but anyway here's how i did:For does who have problems with Geforce 8400 GS (and i know that u have) here's how i did it:1. Installed Leopard 10.2.5 AMD EFI based iso Don't install video driver from here!2.Download NVinject.kext from http://nvinject.free.fr/downloads.php'>http://nvinject.free.fr/downloads.php vers 0.2.1 (!!! with 0.2.0 does not work) and drop it in: /System/Library/Extensions/NVinject.kext3. Goto Terminal and run the lines below: sudo chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions/NVinject.kext sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/NVinject.kext4. Reboot the system (don't worry if the system don't restart himself, just reset and reboot if the case)5. Check if the new driver is installed (NVinject.kext vers. 0.2.1)6. Download Nvidia Installer V1.9 Punk92 from http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...=11&t=78980and install it then reboot.7. This is it! I hope it worked for you!! Good Luck (because u'll need it...considering the support from here :( )Nevermind I did! I must say that I posted 4 times on this forum in last 4 days and no one told me a word but anyway here's how i did:For does who have problems with Geforce 8400 GS (and i know that u have) here's how i did it:1. Installed Leopard 10.2.5 AMD EFI based iso Don't install video driver from here!2.Download NVinject.kext from http://nvinject.free.fr/downloads.php vers 0.2.1 (!!! with 0.2.0 does not work) and drop it in: /System/Library/Extensions/NVinject.kext3. Goto Terminal and run the lines below: sudo chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions/NVinject.kext sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/NVinject.kext4. Reboot the system (don't worry if the system don't restart himself, just reset and reboot if the case)5. Check if the new driver is installed (NVinject.kext vers. 0.2.1)6. Download Nvidia Installer V1.9 Punk92 from http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...=11&t=78980and install it then reboot.7. This is it! I hope it worked for you!! Good Luck (because u'll need it...considering the support from here ;) )

after weeks of frustrating moments with hack bool{censored} mac pc i decided to go back to old xp.

Yah, security holes and {censored}.... c'mon at least it works.. and if you have problems just take out the network cable and u are secure... This sucks on pc.. any tipe of pc. First spend days to get and test the optimal iso for my system! After spend weeks to get a pice of {censored} video card to work.. Post a lot of questions on the forum with absolutelly no response.. Took time to stay on IRC .. bool{censored} no support there either. Tried to find a solution to the dual boot or even boot without installation disk inside but only "yuppe for me it works" i got for everyone AND no {censored}in tips at all!

YES! OSX It is a beautifull OS but not on the PC. I just like u take a plain to drive on the streets with your gf.

So.. sorry to say but i just wasted my time reading about OSx86 project. If you are a normal guy with a normal computer you normaly do something with this two an and your life not just "let's test some geekish stuff coz we are so retard and is so funny to see how the time is passing out". AND YES! I will buy a mac for my music.. not spend weeks tryng to have MAC OS "in two steeps with no hacking knowledge require" into my {censored}in machine..

Fair well and good luck because you'll neeeeed iiiitttttt!!!!!!

It works with Punk92's nvidia install (vers. 1.9) But still black screen on reboot -- managed wirh -f

Maybe some clues where to look for some debugging info. Does have Leopard an Event Viewer or something?

Thank you for the help!

• 3 weeks later...

If you want to get QE/CI real cheap, go to Wal-Mart, and buy a 3D Fuzion GeForce 5500, for PCI. It is a {censored} graphic card (my integrated graphics was actually better!), but Natit made it work (I don't know if it would work by itself). I returned it because it sucked so much, and bought a PNY 8400 GS for only $40 ($60 off the original). It didn't work (damn). (It worked terrifically in Windows) When I get a new HD, I'll put Leopard on it, and try the Nvidia patch you mentioned.

Oh, and Tiger's event viewer is called Console, in the Utilities folder (I think).

• 4 months later...

Thank you for the answer. I brought meantime a Nvidia 7600 GS board and it works like a charm.

Now I run 10.5.4 for a while now and absolutely no problem at all. Seem that 8 series is a little bit tricky on installation..