D-Link WDA-1320 with 10.5.2

ncd

5 posts in this topic

OK I have an Acer Aspire AST-180 with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+, Acer EM61SM board, Nvidia MCP61 chipset and I have MacOSX 10.5.2 installed using Zephyroth's dvd.

Now on first install, using the provided drivers I was able to get most things working including SATA (which I could not get to work at all with 10.4.8) and my GeForce 8600 GT (using NVinject on the disk). The ACL888 soundcard did not work initially with the provided drivers but worked OK (audio out only) with the kext available here.

Now here is my strife. The thing I just cannot get working is my network (and internet). There is an onboard Gigabit Ethernet and I have a D-Link WDA-1320 card that I put in. Now, I don't really need the Ethernet at the moment, but its the Wi-Fi that I need. Now I followed the steps in this guide to the letter but the result is that I have a 'air-port' card showing up but now matter what I do it will not start under any circumstances. Now I was able to get my Gigabit LAN (its a Yukon 88E8856 btw) card working in 10.4.8 but now I don't have a wired access point so I need the WiFi. Is there anyone who can give me some tips here?

Now on a different topic, I installed MacOS on my external drive and previously it worked fine with 10.4.8 just by asking the computer to boot from that drive, but now it will only boot when I disable the onboard and use the install disk to boot from the drive. Why would this be? It's active and I installed the MBR bootloader (tried the GUID as well) in the installation. Is there a better bootloader and what could be wrong?

• 4 weeks later...
OK I have an Acer Aspire AST-180 with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+, Acer EM61SM board, Nvidia MCP61 chipset and I have MacOSX 10.5.2 installed using Zephyroth's dvd.

Now on first install, using the provided drivers I was able to get most things working including SATA (which I could not get to work at all with 10.4.8) and my GeForce 8600 GT (using NVinject on the disk). The ACL888 soundcard did not work initially with the provided drivers but worked OK (audio out only) with the kext available here.

Now here is my strife. The thing I just cannot get working is my network (and internet). There is an onboard Gigabit Ethernet and I have a D-Link WDA-1320 card that I put in. Now, I don't really need the Ethernet at the moment, but its the Wi-Fi that I need. Now I followed the steps in this guide to the letter but the result is that I have a 'air-port' card showing up but now matter what I do it will not start under any circumstances. Now I was able to get my Gigabit LAN (its a Yukon 88E8856 btw) card working in 10.4.8 but now I don't have a wired access point so I need the WiFi. Is there anyone who can give me some tips here?

Now on a different topic, I installed MacOS on my external drive and previously it worked fine with 10.4.8 just by asking the computer to boot from that drive, but now it will only boot when I disable the onboard and use the install disk to boot from the drive. Why would this be? It's active and I installed the MBR bootloader (tried the GUID as well) in the installation. Is there a better bootloader and what could be wrong?

I got it to work with the guide that you pointed out in your post there, but the funny thing is airport shows that it is turned off and I can not turn it on but it works even when the airport status says off. I opened up safari and it said not connected. Then I just click network diagnostic button from the safari page and setup airport connection as normal and it worked, but like I said airport is showing that it is off yet I'm connected. I'm sure that the airport is connected and not the LAN cause I unplugged the LAN just to make sure that wasn't it. Now I got everything working on my machine.

Specs:

Kalyway 10.5.1

Gigabyte GA-945PL-G

Intel Pentium D dual core 2.66 ghz

NVidia 8500gt

D-Link wda-1320

I got it to work with the guide that you pointed out in your post there, but the funny thing is airport shows that it is turned off and I can not turn it on but it works even when the airport status says off. I opened up safari and it said not connected. Then I just click network diagnostic button from the safari page and setup airport connection as normal and it worked, but like I said airport is showing that it is off yet I'm connected. I'm sure that the airport is connected and not the LAN cause I unplugged the LAN just to make sure that wasn't it. Now I got everything working on my machine.

Specs:

Kalyway 10.5.1

Gigabyte GA-945PL-G

Intel Pentium D dual core 2.66 ghz

NVidia 8500gt

D-Link wda-1320

Hmm... interesting. Well, I ended up swapping that d-link card for a belkin wireless dongle, that well, somehow started working in a weird way (I'm sorry if I didn't document it - but it involved a program from belkin for a totally different chipset dongle that I was told would not help in any way).

• 5 months later...

For anyone using Wifi on OSX 10.5 with a card natively supported: You need to go to "Preference" panel and choose "Networking". There you pick"Airport" and click "Options"; choose the section "802.x". You need to activate the following identification protocols: TTLS, PEAP, LEAP, MD5. Then your Wifi should work without problems.