Inspiron 1100, Intel 845G fails it

eil

7 posts in this topic

At the bootloader prompt, I type "?video" and am presented with remarkably few options, the best of which is 800x600x8. It should go without saying that this although this chipset is ass, it should still be capable of 1024x768x32. The bootsplash screen with the apple logo and spinner look fine. However, once the bootsplash has cleared and the desktop initializes, all I get is a grainy greyscale screen that's barely readable. I can recognize the menu bar and the dock thing on the bottom. I can muddle my way through restarting the machine. The mouse cursor is visible sometimes. Patched CoreGraphics, no help there. Looking in the AppleIntel830.kext Info.plist, I see my card's PCI ID (0x25628086), but it doesn't seem to be using that driver. The system properties just report a "VGA-Compatible Controller" or somesuch. Tried changing the PCI ID in the AppleIntegratedIntel Info.plist, that just gave me a blank blue screen and nothing more.

If anyone has any clues on this, please report. This is the only thing not working and unfortunately, it's rather critical. :(

Ah, I could shoot myself. I needed to specify 8MB of "UMA memory" or somesuch in the laptop's BIOS. It was set to 1 previously. I now get 1024x768 beautiful color, but only in safe mode so far. (Hangs on boot otherwise.)

My 1100 is a little weird about startup/shutdown too...can't quite get the rhythm down, but after removal of AppleTPMACPI.kext and use of platform=X86PC, it will boot into normal mode. Sometimes. Other times, it will just give me some kind of colored blocks, and I have to hold down the power button to restart. Or it will stick at the grey screen, give me a pointer, and freeze. Or it won't require any nudging at all, and will just boot normally, with no special options or file removals. Nine times out of ten, if I've had it running for awhile, and I try to restart, it will work fine. But if I shut it down at night, and try to power up the next morning, it won't boot straight off. When it does run, though, it runs great. Video playback, sound, net, et all. If you find out anything about getting it to boot right every time, let me know.

Even after moving AppleTPMACPI.kext out of the way and specifying platform=X86PC, the laptop still refuses to boot into normal mode. Frustrating. I'll have to bang my head on this some other time, as it's getting late just now.

I think the key is to figure out what exactly OS X does different between "normal" mode and safe mode. The only *obvious* difference (besides working video) is that I don't have sound in safe mode. If I can work out what's not getting loaded in safe mode that causing the machine to hang in normal mode, I will happily disable it. (Already tried looking at the difference in boot messages between normal and safe mode with -v, that didn't reveal anything.)

Hey guys, I used Maxxus's SSE3->SSE2 patch and now my inspiron 1100 with the intel will boot into normal mode, weird. I still have one problem though, whenever I put a DVD in the machine the DVD Player crashes. Also, chess does not play. Anyone have any idea why?

Hey guys, I used Maxxus's SSE3->SSE2 patch and now my inspiron 1100 with the intel will boot into normal mode, weird. I still have one problem though, whenever I put a DVD in the machine the DVD Player crashes. Also, chess does not play. Anyone have any idea why?

IIRC, DVD Player doesn't work for anyone. And, chess doesn't seem to work for me, either. I can get the computer's to play, but I can't seem to move the pieces.

are you using an sse3 though? cause i am, and i don't want to use the patch, when i don't have to, unless of course, it does give me color.