Just installed Kalyway 10.5.2 Update, and now I can't boot!

r00ter

8 posts in this topic

Everything was going very well on my wicked 10.5.1 system, and I decided to upgrade to 10.5.2 with Kalyway's update. I thought hell, I used his disk, why not his update. All went well. I went to reboot my system, and then the first time - It loaded the gray apple screen and then my monitor lost signal. Definitely a graphics problem, so I said okay, and changed stuff so it used my onboard video. Success! Not really. It now loads to a blank blue screen. My USB devices active, keyboard functioning - but nothing loads. It's been sitting here for 20 minutes now at that screen.

Why did this have to happen to me? Can you guys help me devise a solution to fix this? Booted up normal, but oddly it ended with mResponder doing a DNS thing and I don't remember seeing a LoginWindow Starting... but okay.

Everything was going very well on my wicked 10.5.1 system, and I decided to upgrade to 10.5.2 with Kalyway's update. I thought hell, I used his disk, why not his update. All went well. I went to reboot my system, and then the first time - It loaded the gray apple screen and then my monitor lost signal. Definitely a graphics problem, so I said okay, and changed stuff so it used my onboard video. Success! Not really. It now loads to a blank blue screen. My USB devices active, keyboard functioning - but nothing loads. It's been sitting here for 20 minutes now at that screen.

Why did this have to happen to me? Can you guys help me devise a solution to fix this? Booted up normal, but oddly it ended with mResponder doing a DNS thing and I don't remember seeing a LoginWindow Starting... but okay.

Sorta the same thing here, I installed the Kalyway 10.5.2 combo update, It worked and everything was fine till I accepted the video driver update from Apple. Now all I get is a blank blue screen as well.

I did the same thing rooter. Mine booted if I left it alone for about 5 minutes. when I finally got it to boot, I had to do the kernel update from Kaly. That fixed the boot problem, but I had sleep issues after that. I'd recommend just going with a reinstall if you can afford it. I tried the 10.5.2 update 3 times before I finally realized that I would be alot better off just staying with 10.5.1.

Hey,

I totally forgot about this thread. I reinstalled right after I posted it. Now, I have all my apps and games on a data partition so I can reinstall effortlessly. I did the same as you, bricked my install twice, and now I'm on 10.5.1 forever :D Or until it gets fixed that is!

Also,

I read that the blank blue screen is typically caused by an AppleSMBIOS.kext problem. I've already tried replacing the SMBIOS.kext to no avail, and it still didn't work - hopefully someone can shed some light on THAT.

Johnny, boot with -v so that you can track down what the problem is exactly.

I personally installed Kalys update and that went fine. I then installed the kernels and I thought it all went fine. Then it crashed at sleep and I couldn't boot back into OSX at all (just kept rebooting at darwin).

Full reset. 10.5.1 for me. Or until I get LAN/internet working so I can update via Apple's updater.

If you installed the Graphics Update then you may have to reconfigure the kexts for your video cards. I did the graphics update after the 10.5.2 update and it would panic. I removed my NVinject file and it would boot but at 1024x768. I added my device id back into the files and moved the NVinject file back over and everything worked again.