Ethernet Problem after Downgrading from Leopard

SuperJ

3 posts in this topic

Hello, I am new here at InsanelyMac forums.

Just recently this week, we cloned about 5 brand new MacBooks for 5 new employees coming in to work with us. Out of all the MacBooks that we have cloned, this is the first time that we ran into this problem. We cloned from a Tiger 10.4.11 image using Carbon Copy Cloner with all of our applications for our designers/accountants. We have been doing this for many years, and this is the first time that we have ever ran into this problem.

We ran into a problem with both the AirPort Extreme Wireless card and the Ethernet Port (which Apple inconviniently chooses to give a generic name to). They both are not configurable in System Preferences, and they are unusable (can't connect to the network or internet). I had read on another forum about a .kext file (kernel extension?) that was the proper driver for the ethernet card, but it was not listed and no name was given. I don't really care too much about the AirPort Card (thought it would be nice to have fixed) since its not required for my office, but it would be nice.

If I try to enable it via command line, it is unable to be activated, even when I use the <ifconfig en0 up> command.

We are thinking it is a software issue since we reinstalled back to Leopard and everything worked fine.

The question I have: Is there a few simple .kext's that we can pull of the Leopard cd and stick on our cloner and install them when we have finished cloning? If so, could someone direct me to this driver? If this is not the solution, then what can be done?

We are still trying to hammer out this kink. I would appriciate any help anyone can give. We are a bit short on time since the new employees come in next Monday, so any help before then would be amazing.

Thanks.

Could you please direct me to where the kext manager is?

Thank you very much for your replies. I tried to move over the ionetworkingfamily kext, but it just made the ethernet dissappear when I booted up into Tiger. Would the use of the manager/helper make a difference in the way it is transferred?

Thanks again.