NTFS Shares from OS X and Mac-Based NAS?

Jaw3000

8 posts in this topic

For a long time I had been considering building a Linux-based NAS box, but I decided after getting OS X up and running that it would serve the purpose purposely and more easily. Thus, I'd like to turn my 10.5.2 Kalyway build into a file server for both Macs and Win PCs on my local network. I'd eventually, once I can establish reliability, move my entire iPhoto and iTunes library over to the server and access it remotely via the network. I would think this would be relatively simple to accomplish through OS X's built-in file sharing, but I have been having a lot of problems trying to share some mounted read/write NTFS partitions that I'm attributing to NTFS-3G. I would like to share the following:

• 100 GB IDE HD with two NTFS partitions (Windows XP and Windows Vista) mounted with NTFS-3G
  • 160 GB IDE HD with two partitions: HFS+ Mac HD (boot partition) and NTFS partition mounted with NTFS-3G
  • 500 GB SATA HD with 1 NTFS partition mounted with NTFS-3G

I've been experiencing extremely slow and unreliable transfers (files not coping fully, yet reporting success on sending Mac) as well as the shares dropping from the file sharing preferences after a few restarts. Additionally, I've found I have to use SMB and not AFP (although this may be because AFP doesn't support non-HFS partitions).

Has anyone had any success in sharing a read/write NTFS partition from OS X? I've briefly tried using Paragon's NTFS driver, but found it didn't recognize the majority of the above partitions (it didn't recognize either the XP or Vista partitions or the SATA partition) while NTFS-3G mostly has, although this could be an isolated issue. I may try it out again though.

Any advice or suggestion would be appreciated! Furthermore, I'd love to hear about how you've configured your Mac-based file server or NAS if you are using you're hackintosh in this way!

• 1 month later...

I have searched everywhere for an answer to this, but to no avail.

I think this is one of the few problems with networking OS X and Windows that are unsolvable and that only a few people in the world have.

Previously (Kalyway 10.5.1 installed) I can have access to my Maxtor drive through the a router and shared it with my PS3, Xbox 360 with my hacked PC and I have no problem with writing/reading but when I installed the Time Machine fix from Leo4All package...my shared network drive was missing!. SO, be careful with Leo4All!

I don't understand why you would want to use OSX to share NTFS volumes. If there's less than 10 computers in your network, you can easily throw on any copy of XP or Vista and share those drives natively. I presume you're going to be running this like a server in the fact that it'll be running virtually unattended most of the time.

There are no good ways to share NTFS volumes while inside OSX as a primary means. I've had success with Parallels and using it to mount those drives (internal and USB) for an occasional file transfer, but it will always be slow and potentially have problems. I have had many larger files (500mb+) become corrupted using both NTFS-3G and Paragon NTFS for Mac.

If you're going to run a NAS storage box, you should use the native file system for the operating system its running. If its Linux, use its native FS (I think ext3). If OSX, hfs+. If Windows, NTFS. If you go outside those systems, ESPECIALLY NTFS, you're going to have performance problems and potential data corruption. By the way, the file system becomes irrelevant over the network, because the host computer (your NAS box) is handling all that work. To your PCs or Hacks, it'll just look like any regular shared folder.

Bottom-line: NTFS access on Mac should be used only on occasion. It will never be a fully reliable transfer unless you're using a Windows OS.

I'm using only PARAGON and I have no problem to write on my NTFS partitions in leopard, but if I try to copy files on a another PC with xp by network, the files are transfering but they are deleted immediatly on the target pc :/

• 1 year later...

I feel your pain because NTFS-3G also corrupted my HDD. Luckily, I am very professional at this and recovered everything (99.9%).

Because I was experimentalling OSX, I caught the symptom almost immediately. All it did was corrupted all the files I have writting to it and my MBR, not allowing me to read any of the partitions normally.

Run fixmbr on recovery console from Windows XP disc to fix the MBR and then chkdsk /f (or chkdsk /r) to fix the HDD integrity. If it also destroyed your boot, run fixboot. If your partition is not flagged as active boot, run fdisk -e /dev/disk[HDD] then flag [Parition#] in a Linux or MacOSX terminal to make it boot again.

Sorry if this was like over a year ago but this incident was very stressful to me. Corrupt data equals dead HDD. Data == HDD.