Installation Issue: SATA hard drive in HP Laptop

brianc608

3 posts in this topic

For the last couple days I have been working on installing OSX on my HP (compaq) laptop. Some specifications (from the HP site):

Product Name F572US US Product Number GF596UA#ABA Microprocessor 1.7 GHz AMD Athlon ™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TK-53 Microprocessor Cache 512 KB L2 Cache Memory 1024 MB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm) Memory Max 2048 MB max supported Video Graphics NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150 (UMA) Video Memory Up to 287 MB Hard Drive 80 GB (5400 RPM) Hard Drive (SATA) Multimedia Drive Super Multi 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support Display 15.4" WXGA High-Definition Brightview Widescreen (1280 X 800) Display Fax/Modem High speed 56k modem Network CardWireless Connectivity 802.11b/g WLAN Sound Integrated Speakers Keyboard 101-key compatible Pointing Device Touch Pad with dedicated vertical and horizontal Scroll Up/Down pad External Ports Integrated 10/100BASE-T Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)

• 3 Universal Serial Bus USB 2.0
  • 1 VGA (15-pin)
  • 1 RJ-11 (modem)
  • 1 TV-Out (S-video)
  • 1 RJ -45 (LAN)
  • 1 headphone-out
  • 1 microphone-in

Anyways, I have successfully made my way into "disk utility" with the JaS 10.4.8 prepatched dvd, but my hard drive isn't showing up at all, only my dvd drive.

I have read around and apparently this is a relatively common problem (especially with AMD processors when installing Tiger). Unfortunately, most of the solutions I have found involve switching to an IDE HDD (not an option), changing bios settings (VERY limited settings in HP bios), or using an external HDD (not very practical for a laptop).

Will trying a new installer have any impact on the installer recognizing my drive? I am downloading a few and I will try Leopard as well.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Brian

• 4 weeks later...

I have the exact same model. and right now i have leopard on it. but if you have the same wifi card as i (bcm4311 WITH the on/off switch on the front) then you'll have one hell of a time getting it to work.

and as for the internal HDD, well, leopard detects it, and installs on it, but it won't detect it after you install leopard on it...i'm thinking you can mod some kexts externally. but i just installed it on my mybook 500gb..

but basically for the f572us:

wifi: detected, not working. (because of this, if you have the switch)

LAN:not working (yet but apparently it's supposed to..)

HDD: detected, working (unless you install OSX on it.)

Touchpad&keyboard: working.

sound: haven't tried to get it working yet. (unknown)

s-video out: haven't tried that either.

prob didn't help much, but we're in the same boat i suppose.

hi,

i have too hp laptop dv6516. In my laptop hard drive is not showing at all. this is due to SATA support. and in my BIOS there is no option to change it!!!! if ur model has this option then u r lucky. although till now i can't find any solution and i contacted HP too they said that they cant do anything you will not be able to install any other OS. Just damn Microsoft and HP.