Mozy, Kalyway and 10.5.2

corwin2000

2 posts in this topic

OK, I have a successful install from the Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD plus a few patches. Also successfully applied the hacked Kalyway 10.5.2 updater and updated kernel patch. Successful == working audio, working network, working firewire, working GPU (8600GT/256MB), borked sleep (but don't care).

I have been attempting to use the online file backup program, Mozy. Research on this forum shows that successful use of Mozy requires an appropriate version of AppleSMBIOS.kext, but I am having a problem finding the right version for where I currently stand (10.5.2). With the wrong version, Mozy just hangs during the setup and/or login process, and based on console logs, it is apparently trying to compute a machine ID.

As a test, I booted with the AppleSMBIOS.kext from the Leopard Retail Install DVD and Mozy seems to work ok, but the System Profiler is totally borked and I worry about system instability using this version.

To the other extreme, I tried a version of this kext that was supposedly compiled from recently release 10.5.2 kernel sources from this site: http://my.macdotnub.info/content/view/19/26/

Using this version, Mozy seems to hang.

So my question is this.... What is the best version of AppleSMBIOS.kext to use if I want to use both Mozy and run reasonably recent kexts?

System is well backed up and not mission critical so don't mind a bit of experimentation if anyone has any guesses.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem. Any luck fixing this?

The same basic thing happened with XTorrent when I tried to register it, however I fixed that by using his pref files. I will test the same method for Mozy, but I doubt it will work because Mozy utilizes the machine ID for identification.