10.5.2 on Dell OptiPlex GX620

rjohnstone

6 posts in this topic

As stated, I have a Dell Optiplex GX620 (Pentium D 930 3Ghz SSE2/SSE3), Intel GMA 950 graphics, Broadcom 57xx integrated NIC, 250 GB WD Hawk SATA drive and 4GB of ram.

Started with a BrazilMac-9a581-Patch using a retail 10.5.0 install DVD (yes, I paid for it ;) ) and all was running fine.

Updated to 10.5.2 following one of the guides here and all ran as described.

It boots, and I can get into single user mode, but cannot boot into the GUI at all.

Here is what I get when it loads.

Any thoughts or suggestions.

IMG_0101.jpg

I still get the null MAC address on the NIC, but I have a script to fix that when I log in.

I gave up trying to fix it.

Wiped it clean and started over.

Re ran my BrazilMac patched retail install and then ran Kalyway's 10.5.2 combo update plus the display update.

Worked like a charm.

Now happily running 10.5.2.

As a side note, DO NOT install Kalyway's 10.5.2 kernel package on Pentium D systems.

Kernel panic every time. And no, I did not choose the vanilla kernel.

I made sure to backup the old kernel, system.kext and dsmos.kext prior to updating. Saved me from yet another reinstall.

EDIT:

Forgot the money shot. ;)

OSver.jpg

Now I just need to figure out how to change the system ID.

Searching away.

• 5 months later...

for all of you who are still having problems with the NULL Mac Address on BCM57xx cards (like myself) here is a simple login script that will set the MAC everytime you login. You can change the MAC by deiting the file yourself....place it somewhere and then open terminal and run these commands:

sudo chmod 744 /path/to/script

sudo chown root:wheel /path/to/script

sudo defaults write com.apple.loginwindow LoginHook /path/to/script

(where /path/to/script is the full path to the script that you want to execute when a user logs in.

Alternatively you can use a program like TEXTMATE and save the file as an AppleScript file and then simply run the last command from above in terminal.

Hope this helps. It does for me.

setmac.rtf

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...