Installing OSX on my Thinkpad R52

bfaas

6 posts in this topic

Hi people!

I'd like to install OSX on my laptop, an IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad R52. Most important specs:

Pentium M 750 (1860Mhz)

ATi X300 PCI-e

Broadcom NetXtreme gigabit ethernet

ICH6 (?) IDE controller, two harddrives

SoundMAX integrated audio controller

As I look down the internet, especially this forum, the compatibility for my hardware is not very hopefull at best. I'm especially concerned with the X300 and the SoundMAX soundchip. The network adapter could be replaced with a PCMCIA variant.

Does anybody here have any pointers for getting OSX working on my hardware? I'm currently downloading Kalyway 10.5.1 distro, as it seems like a good point to start to me.

Thanks in advance!

I've just finished downloading/burning the ISO and it runs without any special parameters at startup. When I look in the systemprofile, it detects no network, no sound and no video either. Is that a bad sign or will this change once the installation is completed?

Edit: is it also possible to boot the vanilla kernel with the installer? what do I have to type after F8?

I've just tried to install leopard-Kalyway 10.5.1 and the setup was really a breeze. Everything is quite working, except for the videocard (CI/QE), but it looks like everybody has got trouble with that one. Unlucky me.

I'm considering installing Tiger, can anyone tell me what has been changed from Tiger to Leopard? Is it still worth the effort to install Tiger instead of Leopard (application compatibility and such)?

• 2 months later...
I've just tried to install leopard-Kalyway 10.5.1 and the setup was really a breeze. Everything is quite working, except for the videocard (CI/QE), but it looks like everybody has got trouble with that one. Unlucky me.

I'm considering installing Tiger, can anyone tell me what has been changed from Tiger to Leopard? Is it still worth the effort to install Tiger instead of Leopard (application compatibility and such)?

Hey I was wondering what the problem is with your videocard? The point is you have a weak videocard and even if you don't have the right drivers, you will not play games anyway with this machine and OS X?

Please let me know if everything else is fine, I want to install on the same laptop. Thank you!