Backup disk image of dul boot system-is it possible?

2 posts in this topic

I have a Gateway laptop with a 160GB hard drive. On it I have xp and os x. I installed in this order: OS x cd to make 3 partitions all as Fat 32. Install Xp on first partion (reformated to ntfs). boot OS X disk utility and change second partition to journaled. Install OS X 10.5.1 with MBR. In Xp format 3th partion to ntfs for backup files since OS X can read ntfs.

I want to be able to make an exact copy of this drive so when I break it trying to get the audio or other things working I do not have to install everything again. I tried Norton Ghost and this did not work. I had to copy each partion seperatly(I wanted to just image the whole drive) I used the MBR from the OS X partition(I used this since I figured that was were darwin was associated with) I also tried OS X boot Camp and that did not work either.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I have used Ghost 2003 booting into PCDOS and imaging the entire drive and partition as you would like to many times over. I have the exact XP OSX dual boot that you do. Try agin it works...BTW Ghost 2003 doesn't recognize the OSX partition as a valid partition (unknown) , but it still will copy it and restore it! Very handy when experimenting with different drivers